Type 2 I need help eat chocolate everyday

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello I am 40 year old type 2 diabetic and my BMI is 26 it should be 25 last hb1ac is 5.9 I take galvusmet 50/500 twice daily I have developed this habit that I have started eating 50 gram milk chocolate daily what should I do and how do I stop it and is there anyway that I can safely eat it ??? Or should I just quit I don't like dark chocolate tbh kindly help and all your inputs are greatly appreciated ?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Reactions: MTS1980

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How about highlights hot chocolate? You can buy it as individual sachets, so you won’t be tempted to ‘add a little bit more for luck’! It’s only 3.9g carb per sachet. Consuming a mugful will probably satisfy your craving for chocolate but will last longer.

DD7C324E-D321-46C8-AF69-51E7B7DA250A.jpeg

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You need to stop the milk chocolate which is sugary rubbish and get used to Dark Chocolate and the 85% variety. You do get used to it and then you realise how bad the milk stuff is.

Reactions: Sad21+ and MTS1980

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have dark chocolate Lindtt 90% with peanut butter on top. May be try 85%. I can honestly say I don't miss chocolate now (well most of the time may be occasionally) but the less I have something imo the less I crave it. I have heard Godiva 90% is lovely but have not tried it myself - unfortunately. Also, if I don't have something in the house then I know I can't have it but if it is in the cupboard I think about it and want it - most recently some christmas goodies

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I do understand how you are feeling. Here in Australia we have a brand called 'Well Naturally' which is a 'milk' chocolate that is very low carb so I often have a little bit and it does soothe the cravings.

However, you may also try grating some dark very low carb chocolate into some cream. I've done that and the cream can take the edge off so it is nice and again satisfies the cravings. I really like @Rachox 's suggestion as I agree a hot chocolate could take longer to drink and also satisfy the cravings. I also like the truffle idea. (fellow chocolate lover here lol)

Good luck.

Reactions: MTS1980 and Rachox

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to add I also like the idea of adding peanut butter and am planning on trying that. One of the things I love about this forum is all the ideas people share.

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh thanks you very kind people here is the issue I think I have developed a taste or ADDICTION this is a milk chocolate imported into my country from the UK it's called Cadbury it's small but it's all sugar I have tried to get my hb1ac to 5.7 but I go around 5.8 5.9 I could never achieve 5.7 I am useless I'm loosing control I need help I'm addicted I am scared I was talking to a friend he said import some nice chocolates from the USA they are made from Stevia do you guys approve thise and yes I am very pleased writing down all your suggestions all of you are superstars respect from Pakistan

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You can buy stevia sweetened milk chocolate, or do as I do as buy 90%, gently melt it and stir in a good dollop of warm double cream and a little sweetener then leave to set. I also make a chocolate mousse by adding about 3-4 squares of melted 90% lindt to a cartoon of double cream with a little sweetener (stevia based such as Truvia). Great with a few fresh raspberries.
You can add a little orange flavouring, or peppermint essence.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I certainly feel for you. I absolutely love chocolate and can’t give it up. I’ve tried many times but just can’t stop! If you find a magic cure let me know!!

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find that if you smell it, you don’t want it, or your brain thinks you’ve eaten it. I sniff the chocolate wrapper and I find often thats enough. Otherwise, don’t buy ur it have it in the house x

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I certainly feel for you. I absolutely love chocolate and can’t give it up. I’ve tried many times but just can’t stop! If you find a magic cure let me know!!
Lol yeah no cure just eating I am depressed

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've occasionally done something similar to @TriciaWs and used Lindt 85% dark chocolate, melted with Coconut Manna, a few drops of liquid stevia, and optional flavourings, mixed. poured into a chocolate bar type mould. and left to set.

It took me a while to accept that I could actually eat plain dark chocolate as it used to be one of my few food type migraine triggers, so I approached it with great trepidation, but one of the unexpected bonuses of low carbing was an end to these lifelong chronic headaches.

Reactions: Mike d

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I find that if you smell it, you don’t want it, or your brain thinks you’ve eaten it. I sniff the chocolate wrapper and I find often thats enough. Otherwise, don’t buy ur it have it in the house x
I’ve tried that and I just constantly think about it until I go to the shop to get some!