Maximum Carbs for Weight Loss

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey, long time ago my consultant mentioned maximum carbs he would advise for weight loss can’t find this on my letter would anyone have any idea what this might be? On new health kick and need to lose some pounds!!!! Thank you

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Tracy, I’m far from an expert but I’d like to think I know a little about gym/weight loss when diabetic. 3yrs ago I was just under 18st, didn’t look after my self & literally ate what I wanted when I wanted. Come in from work get on the couch order a take away and sit with a full fat 2L bottle of pop and chocolate.

I decided to change my life around & 3 years later I’m now 12.6st, go to the gym 6 days a week + work with a PT who does my training and diet plan. I’ve got it easy as my PT is one of my good friends. What I would say is as long as the carbs your eating are ‘clean’ I wouldn’t really worry about a maximum daily carb intake. For the last 6/8 weeks I’ve been carb cycling which includes a low, medium & high carb day following on from each other. I’ll give an example of my high carb day.

Breakfast: 1 large bagel, 2 whole eggs + 2 turkey bacon. Alternatively for breakfast 80G of oats + 2 egg whites + 25g of peanut butter.

Lunch: 200G of chicken + 100G of rice.

Preworkout: 1 Large blueberry muffin

Post workout: Protein shake + 100G of Rice Krispies cereal. Yes that’s right 100G which has 82g of carbs in it.

Dinner: 200g of salmon or 250 of white fish + 200g of sweet potato + any veg.

The daily carb intake is high but when your cycling with a low + medium day I lost a lot of weight sensibly. Not 3/4lb a week more like 1/1.5lb.

Low carb day would be,

breakfast: 40g of oats with 25g peanut butter.

Lunch. 1 tin of tuna with green beans.

Preworkout: 1 banana with 25g peanut butter

postworkout: 40g of Rice Krispies + protein shake

dinner: 250g steak or lean mince with 250g sweet potato.

I hope that helps and gives you a brief insight into my life with diabetes & weight loss. If you need anymore help just pm me, I have loads of diet plans saved on my phone that I’ve used over the last 6/12 month