Complex Diet Requirement.....Help!

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am 70 and diagnosed type 2 six or 7 years ago.

I was diagnosed with Hypertension perhaps 25 years ago and have been on medication for that ever since. Likewise I am unlucky enough to suffer with gout and am on medication to control my Uric Acid levels.

A further problem is Diverticulosis which was initially picked up a couple of years ago following a routine colonoscopy, but has been giving me problems over the last 3 months.

I have 4 diet sheets i.e., heart health, Gout, Diverticulosis and Type 2.

The big problem is if you follow one diet then you are not ticking boxes on the other diets!

Five years ago, before Diverticulosis came into play, my GP referred me to a dietician. The only advice they could give me was to eat the diet that was required at the time i.e., to help with flare up of a particular condition.

So over the last 3 months I am trying to eat for 4 conditions and I feel like a juggler and the balls are beginning to fall!

Has anybody face a similar dilemma and what did you do?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be interested to know what your various diet sheets recommend for each condition.
Many have been helped by reducing carbohydrate to an absolute minimum for all those conditions.

Last edited:

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
No where near your situation but the first time I had kidney stones (the diagnosis of type 2 came at the same time as the stoneJ, a few months after diagnosis the consultants told me to not have a Harvard protein diet as it can be bad for future stones.
My dr then told me yes but as much as she doesn’t want me to suffer the pain of kidney stones, long term complications were far more severe with diabetes, so effectively I eat to treat the diabetes and if I have kidney stones I have to deal with them at the time ( 18 months between first and second episode).
Don’t know if you have one that is more severe in terms of long term health.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you give us an idea of what you are eating daily, what your diet sheets say, and the sort of food you like please?

Are you on any medication for your diabetes?

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Be interested to know what your various diet sheets recommend for each condition.
Many have been helped by reducing carbohydrate to an absolute minimum for all those conditions.

For me the contradictions can be summed up as follows.

I try as much as possible to eat LCHF for type 2 , but the HF element could not normally be advocated for a healthy heart, but am also on statins!

Diverticulosis suggests avoiding dairy and red meat which is part of my T2 diet.

As regards Gout I am supposed to major on complex carbs and cut out fats. Also supposed to avoid oily fish and chicken which are both high in purines which is a no no for gout.

My primary goal is a good T2 diet but I have to pay more than a nod to the rest.

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No where near your situation but the first time I had kidney stones (the diagnosis of type 2 came at the same time as the stoneJ, a few months after diagnosis the consultants told me to not have a Harvard protein diet as it can be bad for future stones.
My dr then told me yes but as much as she doesn’t want me to suffer the pain of kidney stones, long term complications were far more severe with diabetes, so effectively I eat to treat the diabetes and if I have kidney stones I have to deal with them at the time ( 18 months between first and second episode).
Don’t know if you have one that is more severe in terms of long term health.

I guess the most important to me is T2 and heart.

Reactions: oldgreymare

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the HF element could not normally be advocated for a healthy heart,
That's a bit old fashioned thinking to be honest. Depending on the fats high er fat could be considered to be quite heart healthy.

am also on statins
Which have been known to raise blood sugars so not the best for T2.

Have you ever had a full lipid profile test for cholesterol (should involve fasting for 12-14 hours beforehand)?

Some people have reported improved diverticulitis following a carnivore ish diet
https://meatrx.com/?s=diverticulitis

Similar with gout
https://meatrx.com/?s=gout
Might make some interesting reading anyway.

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you give us an idea of what you are eating daily, what your diet sheets say, and the sort of food you like please?

Are you on any medication for your diabetes?

Metformin 2 x500, but I have stopped taking these over the last 8 weeks as I didnt know whether thet were feeding into my tummy problems.

Please see previous reply for diet info.

For the last few years I have only eaten for T2 on a LCHF diet and hoped that the statins would balance the fat out. By low carb I would estimate between 50 to 80 a day on average.

Heavy on low carb veg and meats and chicken.

The problem is now that I have a tummy problem to sort out i.e., diverticulosis. If I eat to that diet it partially blows T2 away as it excludes dairy and red meat.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin 2 x500, but I have stopped taking these over the last 8 weeks as I didnt know whether thet were feeding into my tummy problems.

Please see previous reply for diet info.

For the last few years I have only eaten for T2 on a LCHF diet and hoped that the statins would balance the fat out. By low carb I would estimate between 50 to 80 a day on average.

Heavy on low carb veg and meats and chicken.

The problem is now that I have a tummy problem to sort out i.e., diverticulosis. If I eat to that diet it partially blows T2 away as it excludes dairy and red meat.
If the diverticulitis flare has coincided with you taking Metformin it could be worth seeing if you can have the sustained release version instead.

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If the diverticulitis flare has coincided with you taking Metformin it could be worth seeing if you can have the sustained release version instead.

Sorry, it was originally Metformin but was switched to Sukkarto SR a year ago. I just couldn't remember its name when I posted!!

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
For me the contradictions can be summed up as follows.

I try as much as possible to eat LCHF for type 2 , but the HF element could not normally be advocated for a healthy heart, but am also on statins!

Diverticulosis suggests avoiding dairy and red meat which is part of my T2 diet.

As regards Gout I am supposed to major on complex carbs and cut out fats. Also supposed to avoid oily fish and chicken which are both high in purines which is a no no for gout.

My primary goal is a good T2 diet but I have to pay more than a nod to the rest.
Just for info prior to diagnosis I used to avoid fat like the plague, I would strip everything so much that I’d lose loads of the meat but I was determined to be healthy and not eat fat.
At diagnosis I wasn’t overly high on cholesterol but in the 6s.
After diagnosis, finding this place and eating fat if it was on something and not removing it but cutting carbs quite severely my cholesterol went down to the 4s. Funnily enough the only rise in the last two years was after I’d been eating fruit so I cut them out again,
Require your fat and heart thinking and that might make life a lot easier.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aug 20 LDL 2.5 HDL 1.8 Trigs 1.1

Interesting.. the Trig/HDL ratio is considered the most important .. anything under 0.87 is thought of as very good and yours is 0.611 so excellent.
I guess however you were taking the statins then? which may have had an effect on the values.

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some people have reported improved diverticulitis following a carnivore ish diet
https://meatrx.com/?s=diverticulitis

Similar with gout
https://meatrx.com/?s=gout
Might make some interesting reading anyway.

Thanks for those links, yes they did make interesting reading!

I looked at sample menus for the carnivore diet and whilst I indulge in most items included as minor or major parts of my everyday consumption, there are many items included that list that are explicitly excluded for control of gout and diverticulosis.

There is also much anecdotal evidence on forums of people stating they developed gout from going on a carnivore diet!

The only way forward is developing a diet that satisfies all 4 conditions that I mentioned that can be flexed according to need at any particular time.

But thanks again for the links.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for those links, yes they did make interesting reading!

I looked at sample menus for the carnivore diet and whilst I indulge in most items included as minor or major parts of my everyday consumption, there are many items included that list that are explicitly excluded for control of gout and diverticulosis.

There is also much anecdotal evidence on forums of people stating they developed gout from going on a carnivore diet!

The only way forward is developing a diet that satisfies all 4 conditions that I mentioned that can be flexed according to need at any particular time.

But thanks again for the links.

Gout is all about inflammation.. the least inflammatory foods are meat and fish.

Found this quite amusing...

Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 15.59.32.png

Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 16.00.12.png

Go figure!