Type 1 COVID Vaccine

Angel1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am and T1 diabetic and had my first dose of the COVID vaccine 4 days ago. I had slightly raised blood sugars in the following 24 hours but they returned to normal after I used the DAFNE sick rules. In the last 24 hours my blood sugars are high again. Has anyone had high sugars after receiving a COVID vaccine? Many thanks for your help.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi I am and T1 diabetic and had my first dose of the COVID vaccine 4 days ago. I had slightly raised blood sugars in the following 24 hours but they returned to normal after I used the DAFNE sick rules. In the last 24 hours my blood sugars are high again. Has anyone had high sugars after receiving a COVID vaccine? Many thanks for your help.
I was on the Novavax trial. I had muscle aches and pains, a headache, exhaustion and elevated blood sugars for 40 hours after the injection.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
THAT interesting spoke to my diabetic clinic on phone call yesterday and advised if i got the virus to increase insulin by 50 %
now the vaccine you may need to increase as well by the looks of your comments well done you as if look on sites ref transplant kidney like me no firm advice trouble is this virus is not even a YEAR old and it is all trial and error
regards vic 63 insulin 14 transplant

Reactions: KatyMarianne

t1dluke

Hey,

I just thought I'd add to this thread. I've had the Oxford vaccine today at 09:30AM. I've been feeling ok all day until now 10:50PM. Feeling a bit nauseous and my blood sugars have decided to shoot up to 12.2 mmol/l for no reason right before bed. Thinking it may be vaccine related.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Hey,

I just thought I'd add to this thread. I've had the Oxford vaccine today at 09:30AM. I've been feeling ok all day until now 10:50PM. Feeling a bit nauseous and my blood sugars have decided to shoot up to 12.2 mmol/l for no reason right before bed. Thinking it may be vaccine related.
Feeling a little sick with perhaps some aches and pains, is a side affect which some people have, not all do. The nurse should of explained this to you. Hope that you feel better in a couple of days.

Kash2001

Hi everyone apologies for the question and not wishing to appear rude but what ages are you all?

As I'm in my mid 50s type 1 and with auto immune damage, but I'm in category 6 which is about 6-8 weeks at least from being vacinated. I've isolated for the past year pretty much, as if I contract variant 2 of covid it would almost certainly kill me.

I known theres others that need it more than myself and I'm in no real rush but just interested as to the vaccination deployment and distribution etc.

The sugar levels are interesting, as when I used to have the flu jab i was ill for about 6 weeks, not seriously but a proper struggle to get through, so I'm not really looking forward to the jab, but needs must.

Atb

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I had my vaccine almost two weeks ago, didn’t have any side effects except the next day my injection site was a lil sore to touch.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

Similar story for me, has taken me three times as much insulin as usual to get my blood glucose readings in range. I'm taking it as a positive sign that it has evoked an immune response (as my blood glucose readings usually go up when I'm ill). Hope yours have gone back to normal in the mean time.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone apologies for the question and not wishing to appear rude but what ages are you all?

As I'm in my mid 50s type 1 and with auto immune damage, but I'm in category 6 which is about 6-8 weeks at least from being vacinated. I've isolated for the past year pretty much, as if I contract variant 2 of covid it would almost certainly kill me.

I known theres others that need it more than myself and I'm in no real rush but just interested as to the vaccination deployment and distribution etc.

The sugar levels are interesting, as when I used to have the flu jab i was ill for about 6 weeks, not seriously but a proper struggle to get through, so I'm not really looking forward to the jab, but needs must.

Atb
It seems that there has been a bit of a GP lottery as to whether people were classed as CEV or not. My consultant recommended I was because of exposure in my job, and luckily my GP agreed. I'm under 40, no conditions other than type 1, HbA1c consistently under 52 since diagnosis and around 48 over the past few years so I wouldn't say poor control. So as a CEV adult I have been invited and had the vaccine as group 4. I do feel sorry for others who have had different experiences with their GP.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems that there has been a bit of a GP lottery as to whether people were classed as CEV or not. My consultant recommended I was because of exposure in my job, and luckily my GP agreed. I'm under 40, no conditions other than type 1, HbA1c consistently under 52 since diagnosis and around 48 over the past few years so I wouldn't say poor control. So as a CEV adult I have been invited and had the vaccine as group 4. I do feel sorry for others who have had different experiences with their GP.
Hmmm
I’m glad you got covered early but the inconsistency is certainly unfair. But then again, postcode lottery is throughout the NHS unfortunately

Reactions: UK T1

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
since my COVID vaccine 11 days ago i have had 8 texts 3 letters arrived today all different codes must be most important to get me done why i do not know is it the BREXIT madness
o well all the best vic

KatyMarianne

Hello. I am also type one, have sarcoidosis but I’m not classed as CEV. Luckily the sarcoidosis is in remission at the moment but my research shows that this condition is one that should not be exposed to the vaccines; I will very quickly go into an inflammatory response. I’ve only ever had one flu vaccine which made me very ill.
Has anyone heard about the vaccine that is offered to people who are receiving immuno suppressant medication or chemotherapy?
It works in a very different way without provoking an immune response (which I guess is what causes the spike in blood sugars a few hours after the vaccine has been delivered)
Interesting to look at the alternatives that are available in India, parts of South America and Africa… Homoeopathy is widely used there as our other natural medicines that have been tried and tested for many years as opposed to these still very new and experimental vaccinations.
I’m keeping an open mind and as a qualified nurse am doing a lot of research to be better informed. Good luck everybody.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a phone appointment recently with my rheumatologist and asked about the vaccine, as I take immunosuppressant medication. He said it was fine to have it (at the time only Pfizer and Oxford/AstraZeneka were approved in the uk) as they weren't live vaccines.

Reactions: KatyMarianne