Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

Max68

I think at my old school it was INSET day but there were schools that opened. Regardless though that's thousands of staff at schools on training. Back in September I spent two days peering through a window for Team Teach Training. You can't really do that in January, so unless they used sports halls staff would still have been in small spaces and as much as I liked everyone there many, especially younger staff weren't over concerned about Covid and therefore weren't as careful as others. That's part of the reason that I left as it was just impossible to keep yourself safe in classrooms with doors and windows closing as the weather got colder. So as you quite rightly say the government leave schools open for a day before reversing the decision.

Every single decision the government has made is last minute giving schools, businesses etc no time at all to plan. They themselves are obviously in denial hoping for the best but never seemingly preparing for the worst. They would almost be better saying nothing before making decisions rather than spouting off one thing then delivering the opposite 24 hours later.

It's all full of inconsistencies. For instance if they are so worried about this South African variant then why are flights from Johannesburg still apparently landing here? Nearly 12 months on and no lessons have been learned. I can quite imagine why business owners and people with or families of those who have had diagnoses and treatment denied or cancelled for other illnesses looking at all these flights still coming in and out thinking "hold on a minute?!" Plus why are masks for instance not mandated? If it's so bad make them law rather than do things by half. It's no surprise regular people are questioning a lot of things and all the government do is give fuel to others that believe in the conspiracies.

Max68

Well a few weeks after contacting my MP again saying that there was no need to continue our conversation as I had left my job I have again received a reply, albeit rather a generic one! Consider that all my emails to her were regarding the vulnerable in the schooling workplace and what the government could do to safeguard those of us in that category. The below mentions none of that and shows how useless MP's are when it comes to questions from their constituents! I could quite easily read the contents in a newspaper!

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch. As you will know, the Prime Minister announced on Monday January 4th that we would be going into another national lockdown, as a result of cases and hospitalisations rising above the levels we saw in the first lockdown. This has been a result of the emergence and spread of the new Covid-19 variant, which members of SAGE have evaluated is between 50% and 70% more contagious than the primary Covid-19 strain. We are in an extremely serious situation and extensive steps have to be taken to protect our NHS through these winter months.

Our best chance of beating this terrible virus is by following these restrictions as our vaccine rollout continues and accelerates. The UK has already vaccinated over 1 million people and with the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine also approved by the MHRA, I hope we can see all those on the current priority list vaccinated as soon as possible, which will be a vital step in returning to some semblance of normality this year. Vaccines are the silver bullet to end this pandemic.

Keeping schools open and protecting our children’s education has always been a priority for this Government through this pandemic, something I have vocally supported. However, I do understand the situation now is critical, and another national effort is required. All primary and secondary schools, plus colleges, are closed from January 6th, although vulnerable students and children of key workers will still be able to attend – all other children will learn remotely until February half-term. I have been on calls with both the Secretary of State for Education, Gavin Williamson MP, as well as the Minister for Education, Nick Gibb MP, who emphasised this decision on schools was not an easy one and is very much a last resort. Steps are being put in place to mitigate the impact of this new lockdown on our children’s education.

Considering these current circumstances, it is not possible for all exams in the summer to go ahead as planned. The Government will accordingly be working with Ofqual to consult rapidly to put in place alternative arrangements which will allow students to progress fairly. I would urge you to follow the Government’s website for the latest update on this.

For full details of the new restrictions, please visit https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home

To keep updated via my website, please go to https://www.mimsdavies.org.uk/

If you have any specific questions or queries on the new measures, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Kind regards,

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
The prime minister is just following the science he keeps telling us.
The science was telling him on Sunday to send all the kids to school the science on Monday wasn't.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone. How are you all doing? Am missing the general chat on this thread. Hope you're all ok and keeping safe as best you can.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Hi everyone. How are you all doing? Am missing the general chat on this thread. Hope you're all ok and keeping safe as best you can.
You're only missing it if you're not reading it but but but .... there's a lot of pages now so joining the thread now could be a little daunting.
Maybe you could read it like a book as it is quite interesting but maybe not ... I do sometimes.

Reactions: Max68

Max68

Hi guys, yep just about surviving here although have done my best to go back to click & collect / deliveries rather than take a visit to the supermarket. Everyone else seems to have had the same idea though so it's not easy! Had a lovely text Saturday night from my old Head Teacher at the school I worked at just asking how I was doing etc which really meant a lot actually. I mean how many ex employers would take time out to do that. He checked that I was still on their unofficial whatsapp group which I am which keeps me up to speed with what's going on there. That's appreciated as well as it keeps me in the loop and it's contact with the outside, which helps. Still a few money worries because with the new variant the "end in sight" seems to have disappeared beyond the horizon again but I know deep down I made the right decision.

Still take a walk every other day as my foot is a tad better so can do every other day now but its seems far busier than the first lockdown, although that maybe down to me pounding the pavements rather than the woods as the woods are so wet at this time of year. Still though there seem more people in larger groups that I remember prior., There also seems to be a new Coffee Club with people nattering away on outside benches with coffee in hand which I never saw during "normal" times as who back then in their right mind would sit and have a chat on a park bench with temperatures close to freezing?!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're only missing it if you're not reading it but but but .... there's a lot of pages now so joining the thread now could be a little daunting.
Maybe you could read it like a book as it is quite interesting but maybe not ... I do sometimes.
I've followed the thread from the beginning! I was referring to the fact that nothing had been posted for 5 days, which might not be a long time to you, but is to me. I can't always post due to arthritis in my fingers, but check for new posts regularly.

Reactions: JTL

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good to hear how you're doing Max68. Great that you've had contact from your old Head Teacher. Hope you can manage financially, it's a tough time for many. Take care.

Max68

Good to hear how you're doing Max68. Great that you've had contact from your old Head Teacher. Hope you can manage financially, it's a tough time for many. Take care.

Thank you, and you. So many in the same boat but what can you do?! Just got to be thankful for small mercies.

Max68

Sobering thoughts looking at the death numbers on the news today. Absolutely horrendous. Was due to go for my 6 monthly HBA1c test at the surgery tomorrow. A month ago I wouldn't have been worried but considering I'm managing to keep at home with click and collect deliveries I'm wondering if a trip to the surgery is worth a risk at the moment? Even if my HBA1c, cholesterol etc have increased what are they going to do right now? What would you all do?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Sobering thoughts looking at the death numbers on the news today. Absolutely horrendous. Was due to go for my 6 monthly HBA1c test at the surgery tomorrow. A month ago I wouldn't have been worried but considering I'm managing to keep at home with click and collect deliveries I'm wondering if a trip to the surgery is worth a risk at the moment? Even if my HBA1c, cholesterol etc have increased what are they going to do right now? What would you all do?
iF YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT IT GIVE IT A MISS NOTHINGS GOING TO HAPPEN AS YOU SAY.
yOU KNOW WHAT YOU SHOULD BE DOING TO LOOK AFTER YOURSELF SO JUST GET A BIT MORE PRO ACTIVE ABOUT IT .... DISCIPLIN.
I haven't been to the surgery for months.
Sorry about the caps t tired to type it all out again.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the thread dropped off my notifications again. I’m off sick with an injury waiting on the dr to authorise a fit note and give me Xray results. Quite honestly couldn’t have come at a better time if it has to happen. Not quite sure what I’ll do when/if it heals enough to work. Actually hoping to use up my sick leave if I’m honest doubt it’ll be long enough to get me vaccinated but it might be a lot better than now out there. Whole family are locked down right now other than walks, runs and cycle rides, I’ve managed to get clicks and collect shopping and I’m finally sleeping as a result.

Max68

iF YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT IT GIVE IT A MISS NOTHINGS GOING TO HAPPEN AS YOU SAY.
yOU KNOW WHAT YOU SHOULD BE DOING TO LOOK AFTER YOURSELF SO JUST GET A BIT MORE PRO ACTIVE ABOUT IT .... DISCIPLIN.
I haven't been to the surgery for months.
Sorry about the caps t tired to type it all out again.

No need to shout I'm not deaf,,,,, er yes I am actually!! ;);)

Max68

Well the thread dropped off my notifications again. I’m off sick with an injury waiting on the dr to authorise a fit note and give me Xray results. Quite honestly couldn’t have come at a better time if it has to happen. Not quite sure what I’ll do when/if it heals enough to work. Actually hoping to use up my sick leave if I’m honest doubt it’ll be long enough to get me vaccinated but it might be a lot better than now out there. Whole family are locked down right now other than walks, runs and cycle rides, I’ve managed to get clicks and collect shopping and I’m finally sleeping as a result.

The click and collects are crazy as you have to be by your PC all day and suddenly loads appear then vanish just as quick! I've managed to book a couple a week apart but it's a bit of a lottery. Spoke to the guy there last week and he said they have plenty of applications for delivery drivers but not enough vans! Plus two are always just sitting in the car park to house the click and collect goods. Could have probably built a massive fridge in the car park by now!!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I was kidding no worries at all. I do it all the time!
I can type pretty quickly now after over twenty years on line but still have to look down at the keyboard!
My wife can watch telly have a conversation and still type faster and more accurate than me.

Max68

I can type pretty quickly now after over twenty years on line but still have to look down at the keyboard!
My wife can watch telly have a conversation and still type faster and more accurate than me.

nOTHING FRUSTRATES.........

Ah there you go a perfect example above on what I do soooo often. Nothing frustrates me more than writing out sentences like that and then looking at the screen and seeing it 5 minutes later! I wish there was a way like the spellcheck that you could just highlight a passage and then click a simple button saying "correct punctuation"!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
nOTHING FRUSTRATES.........

Ah there you go a perfect example above on what I do soooo often. Nothing frustrates me more than writing out sentences like that and then looking at the screen and seeing it 5 minutes later! I wish there was a way like the spellcheck that you could just highlight a passage and then click a simple button saying "correct punctuation"!
There was when I was on a Linux system. There still is but I bought a new pc and got stuck again in Windows.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd personally cancel it.
Am due to go for a blood pressure and foot check at drs, and am delaying making the appointment as bp fine at home and had foot check at podiatrist in December. Am also going to cancel dental appointment and sit it out at home. Had a couple of blood tests done at drs just before Christmas and felt ok going then, but not now. I feel it's too much of a risk for me.