Vulnerability

chrisf-1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone I am looking for some advice here after speaking to my podiatrist today, he asked me if I had any news on the Covid vaccine and I said no and he said am I classed as vulnerable to Covid to which I replied not to my knowledge he then said with my age and health he thought I should be ? so here is my background I am 68 years old I have been type 1 diabetic for 48 years not very well controlled until quite recently and I have COPD can anyone advise me if this is enough to be classed as vulnerable and if so who should I contact about it, I have spoken to my doctors surgery (Receptionist) who said if my doctor thought I was vulnerable I would have been informed which I have not so if you consider that I am vulnerable who should I contact to get the classification many thanks Chris

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone I am looking for some advice here after speaking to my podiatrist today, he asked me if I had any news on the Covid vaccine and I said no and he said am I classed as vulnerable to Covid to which I replied not to my knowledge he then said with my age and health he thought I should be ? so here is my background I am 68 years old I have been type 1 diabetic for 48 years not very well controlled until quite recently and I have COPD can anyone advise me if this is enough to be classed as vulnerable and if so who should I contact about it, I have spoken to my doctors surgery (Receptionist) who said if my doctor thought I was vulnerable I would have been informed which I have not so if you consider that I am vulnerable who should I contact to get the classification many thanks Chris

Hi Chris, having type 1 does not automatically make you 'extremely clinically vulnerable', which is the category where you would get an automatic 'letter' from your GP, but you ARE clinically vulnerable and it would be down to your GP to make an individual decision based on your circumstances as a whole. As for your receptionist, IGNORE him/her, speak to your actual GP and do not be deterred from doing so by what the receptionist THINKS. As for the jab, if it was just your age and 'normal' type 1 then you'd probably be 4th or 5th on the list but again, so many other factors can be involved that it really is between you and your Gp. x

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
With both T1 and COPD then you’re vulnerable. The COPD puts you on the list of those advised to shield during the first lockdown.

https://digital.nhs.uk/coronavirus/shielded-patient-list

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
@chrisf-1, given what you say are the conditions you have, I’m a tad surprised your doctor didn’t include on the list of those who should be shielding back in March. When was the diagnosis of COPD made? Who made it? Is your doctor aware that there’s a diagnosis.
I hope that by now you’ve rung your doctor and talked with them.