Tracey42

Hi I’m new here , just had a message from my doctors to say my last blood test was showing prediabetes with a link to the nhs link which I totally don’t understand at all so I was wandering if in “normal “ terms someone could explain pre diabetes and what I should do ?? I know loosing weight but I have been doing SlimmingWorld for this and it doesn’t seem to work for me at the min , also should I be testing my own blood ?? Sorry for the long post just confused by it all

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slimming Worlds, of which I used to be a member, promote low cal high carb as "free foods".
They claim you can eat unlimited amounts of pasta, potato, rice . . . all the starch high carb foods as they are low in calories.

The truth is that high carb foods need to be covered by high amounts of circulating insulin which promotes weight gain which in turn promotes insulin resistance.
It's a viscous cycle that only leads to obesity & in many cases T2.

You can break this cycle through low carb, you'll lose weight & cure your pre-diabetic levels.
It's that simple.

I was about to win slimmer of the year in my Slimming World group until Covid hit.
I'd lost 5 stones through going low carb & ignoring their Syns & "free foods", my wife knew but we never let on to the group.

Tracey42

Slimming Worlds, of which I used to be a member, promote low cal high carb as "free foods".
They claim you can eat unlimited amounts of pasta, potato, rice . . . all the starch high carb foods as they are low in calories.

The truth is that high carb foods need to be covered by high amounts of circulating insulin which promotes weight gain which in turn promotes insulin resistance.
It's a viscous cycle that only leads to obesity & in many cases T2.

You can break this cycle through low carb, you'll lose weight & cure your pre-diabetic levels.
It's that simple.

I was about to win slimmer of the year in my Slimming World group until Covid hit.
I'd lost 5 stones through going low carb & ignoring their Syns & "free foods", my wife knew but we never let on to the group.

Thanks for the response it was definitely more helpful than the info from the link the drs gave me ☺️ I will seriously look into low carb . I seem to be confused about self testing ... would it be helpful or not , my husband seems to think of I need to self test the drs will provide me with one (think he lives in a dif world sometimes )

Reactions: andromache

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’m new here , just had a message from my doctors to say my last blood test was showing prediabetes with a link to the nhs link which I totally don’t understand at all so I was wandering if in “normal “ terms someone could explain pre diabetes and what I should do ?? I know loosing weight but I have been doing SlimmingWorld for this and it doesn’t seem to work for me at the min , also should I be testing my own blood ?? Sorry for the long post just confused by it all
Hi @Tracey42 ,

Sorry about the prediabetes diagnosis, but really... It's a good thing. Better to catch it early, before there's T2 with a lot of symptoms, complications and whatnot. You've come to the right place. I'm with @Ronancastled : SlimmingWorld isn't going to help. They're not equipped to help people with a metabolic condition, which you have. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ should explain some things in simple terms: I wrote it keeping in mind that when someone's newly diagnosed, they're usually in a right panic -I certainly was!- and thus won't retain a whole lot of information. So it's just boiled down to the basics. When you're ready for more, hit The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung, and dietdoctor.com. In any case.... You gain weight because you're insulin resistant. And extra weight makes you more insulin resistant. Your sensitivity to your own insulin goes out the window in what is effectively, a vicious cycle. Break the cycle and you'll get normal blood sugars, and you'll drop weight as well. And yeah... Getting yourself a meter'd be a good idea. Get one with cheap strips, as you'll be testing a lot to start off with, and that's where the costs are. I hear good things about the Tee2. (I'm Dutch, so different meters available here than where you are, so I wouldn't know from experience.)

You're going to be fine. You're asking the right questions.
Good luck!
Jo

PS: There are a LOT of T2 diabetics in the UK. If the doc'd recommend testing, they'd bankrupt the NHS. If a T2 doesn't get a meter, a prediabetic doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell. The bulk of us self-fund, but like i said, it's only a lot of testing right at the start.

Reactions: JohnSat