Is it ok to just roughly guess how much insulin I need rather than carb count ?

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really cannot be bothered to and prob never will

The subject of food really stresses me out , I prefer to eat out ( or at home where my mum does everything) it’s easier to carb count a McDonald’s meal anyway !

fir example I’m having wholewheat pasta with two poached fish tonight ( didn’t carb count , just guessed 14) will have snacks afterwards too , ( maybe ginger biscuits plus whatever else I can find )

I also for the last few days have tested just once in the evening .

Thank you

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I suppose the answer to the question is no, but I guess the real answer is what do you expect from not testing, , I have been in your position just sort of “ point and shoot” theory, it’s deffo not the best way to do it , I thought it was when I was younger and invincible but I did find out later invincibility is a myth. Diabetes is all about routine and routine sucks but it’s the cards we’ve been dealt so we have to deal with it , easy to say very hard to do, I learnt the hard way OST my leg 6 years ago after 30 years of abuse , it takes a while but it will catch up eventually, if you take your blood sugar twice in the next few days then you’ve increased by 100% which has to be a start.
would love you to see my mistakes and learn from them it is difficult, stressful and many other adjectives to descibe diabetes but it’s not impossible I am living proof of it .

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to guesstimate the carbs and dose accordingly. Over time, I have built up a repertoire and can do a reasonable job of carb guessing.
I also test and correct frequently.

We can’t accurately carb count every time. I don’t take scales with me when I eat out or visit friends and I don’t visit restaurants that list carbs on their menus.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...

The subject of food really stresses me out , I prefer to eat out ( or at home where my mum does everything) it’s easier to carb count a McDonald’s meal anyway !

fir example I’m having wholewheat pasta with two poached fish tonight ( didn’t carb count , just guessed 14) will have snacks afterwards too , ( maybe ginger biscuits plus whatever else I can find )

Thank you
I was a late onset Type 1 and in spite of having a PhD in physiology, I did find some challenges to getting on top of my condition - spending loads of time weighing food, calculating carbs, estimating ratios, keeping diaries seriously did my head in, especially as I had an extremely stressful job. So did a fairly **** control job for first 10 years but vaguely compliant on MDI protocol.

A few suggestions - if you don't want to carb count, consider just ditching carbs all together - they are not essential nutritional items - all your health needs can be covered by proteins and fats. Means you can get away with just basal insulin and maybe very small bolus injections.

Another way is to use a Libre or CGM (eg Dexcom G6) to continuously monitor your BG levels. This made all the difference for my diabetes control. Gives more flexibility to understand your personal response to food loads - with long enough use you can estimate how much insulin you may need and how fast it will work with respect to different types of meals. Sadly, again not easy to get on the NHS, but private costs are not outrageous, especially measured against the health benefits.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding

Thank you
Hi @Grumpy Porridge I completely understand your feelings, and also completely agree with @Ushthetaff . I would probably be in his position had I not decided to deny invincibility at the age of nearly 21. I had already done damage, particularly to my eyes and to my kidneys. But that was over 40 years ago. Because I heeded advice, I am able to write to tou. @In Response points out you can reasonably guestimate Carbs after a while. The key thing is to do a random accurate measurement just to see that your stomach hasn't overtaken your brain! I also agree with @oldgreymare even if carb free still strikes me as very strange - I'm on the same carb intake I was put on in 1966! If it ain't broke etc. I hope you come to terms with the old devil. Good luck.

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if you don't want to carb count, consider just ditching carbs all together - they are not essential nutritional items - all your health needs can be covered by proteins and fats. Means you can get away with just basal insulin and maybe very small bolus injections.
I like this idea but, in my experience, it is not as simple as that.
With the absence of carbs, our body breaks down the protein to create its own glucose (I think it’s called something like glucogenisis), As a result, the low carb/no carb meal still causes blood sugars to rise ... just a bit later. So we still need to bolus ... less than with carbs but we need to protein count rather than carbs so we are just moving the carb counting frustration to protein counting frustration.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
@Grumpy Porridge, given your issues as discussed in previous threads I think you would be in a very good position to push for a freestyle libre on the NHS. This would take the stress out of testing for one.

Different people do different things.

Some people don't carb count at all, but memorise a repertoir of meals that work for them with specific insulin amounts.

When I was diagnosed aged 8, there was no blood testing available, and insulin protocols were to take a couple of insulin injections per day and eat fixed carb quantities at fixed times. So I memorised the "blue book of carbohydrate values of proprietary foods" and got very good at carb counting (much easier for an 8 year old than a 28 year old). And my T1 mother already knew how to carb count so her cooking was pre counted.

At twenty I was introduced to a glucometer and a basal/bolus regime and that changed my life. Though my control has been on and off over the years I had a rough background guestimation of carbs and could eat on a basis of this sort of meal needs this amount of carbs. But it's easy to slip into bad carb counting habits - I'd swear apples had less carbs when I was a child :). Sometimes I weigh stuff just to see if my guestimates are roughly right.

But I now self fund a cgm so I have the advantage that if my levels start to spike more than I expect after a meal I can pop an extra couple of units. But it's not for the faint hearted (I have to be careful of the implications of stacking insulin when taking more insulin even though the first lot hasn't run out) and would be extremely risky for someone not using a cgm.

You've got to remember that you are still in the early stages of T1 and it'll take time for you to learn how to predict how your body reacts to insulin. (And that will change over the years).

So as to whether it's OK just to guess insulin amounts rather than carb counting, it depends how your guessing is informed. If you guess that tuna with green salad is going to need the same carbs as chilli with a big pile of rice, then you're going to be in trouble. If your guesses are advised by an underlying knowledge of how many carbs in the two meals, then you could be fine. But carb counting is the science behind dosing for meals, and the reason why insulin amounts can be judged so as to keep your levels in that golden in between range (not too low, hypos are just miserable, and not too high, that causes long term damage and also makes you feel bad).

It's great that you've got your mum cooking for you, but is she counting the carbs for her meals as well?

Good luck.

Reactions: In Response