Approved Investigating diabetes-related distress based on the type of glucometer used

k_atie97

Hi guys, fellow type one diabetic here. I'm currently a final year master's student studying Cyberpsychology. I am recruiting participants for my thesis.

Background research: There is quite a substantial amount of research indicating that medical devices score quite poorly on usability, meaning that people who use them don't find them particularly user-friendly. This also includes glucometers. Additionally, its been found that individuals with T1D experience moderate levels of distress regardless of what type of glucometers is being used.

Research Purpose: To investigate if there is any differences in diabetes-related distress based on the type of glucometer used, and how the glucometers could be designed to reduce distress from the perspective of individuals with T1D.

You must be over 18 to participate and have an official T1D diagnosis. The survey takes approximately 10-15 minutes to complete. Participation is voluntary of course, but would help contribute to the knowledge of healthcare technology design!

You can access the survey here

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at [email protected]. Thank you in advance!
upload_2021-1-15_10-33-5.gif

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just have one question - why is this restricted to diagnosed Type 1s? Most of the Type 2s on this busy forum also use glucose meters, self funded of course. In case you don't realise this!

k_atie97

I just have one question - why is this restricted to diagnosed Type 1s? Most of the Type 2s on this busy forum also use glucose meters, self funded of course. In case you don't realise this!
Hey! I'm only including type 1 individuals in my study as more groups means i'd need a larger sample size for the statistical analysis part of my research. If i dont get enough participants it would reduce the validity of the study. The research i have found predominantly focuses on individuals with type 2 and their glucometer use, so only including individuals with type 1 addresses a research gap. Hope this helps!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @k_atie97 ,

You might want to have a look at your questionnaire again, I think one of the questions doesn't make sense. It's a question on things you'd like to see improved with your meter. This question is asked twice, the first time you need to answer with a number, the second time you can write out the answer. Can it be the first one should have been a different question?