John West fish products

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a small tin of JW sild in tomato sauce, and my BGL jumped 5 mmol/l. What do they put in it?

Looking at the nutritional info it would appear to be low carb. In fact, if you add up the 3 macros of fat, protein, and carb as declared on the website it only adds up to 31.3% of what's in the tin. What is the rest, and why is it spiking me?

https://www.john-west.co.uk/products/sild-in-tomato-sauce/

Hotpepper20000

Had a small tin of JW sild in tomato sauce, and my BGL jumped 5 mmol/l. What do they put in it?

Looking at the nutritional info it would appear to be low carb. In fact, if you add up the 3 macros of fat, protein, and carb as declared on the website it only adds up to 31.3% of what's in the tin. What is the rest, and why is it spiking me?

https://www.john-west.co.uk/products/sild-in-tomato-sauce/
I would guess it’s the maize starch.
I have found anything with that in it spikes my BG even if it is a small amount.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup cornstarch is 91% carb. Does not seem to be a declared nutrition item except in the ingredients. Very misleading innit?

Fell into this trap with sliced cheeses where they coat each slice with cornstarch to prevent them from sticking to each other. I go for brands that use a plastic flysheet instead, which is not so eco-friendly. Fish fingers also surprised me with a similar unlisted ingredient in the coatings.

Hotpepper20000

Sure is. The longer I’m on this Journey the more skeptical I’ve become when it comes to ingredient lists.
To bad really because I bet it tasted good.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sure is. The longer I’m on this Journey the more skeptical I’ve become when it comes to ingredient lists.
To bad really because I bet it tasted good.
The pilchards in tom sauce are a safer bet it seems. It is not such an umami moment though, but now I know where that umami comes from.

Time to feed the cat.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lucky cat. Though they are obligate carnivores, so maybe won't like the carbs either?
She is an ex vegan. Nowadays will happily fight me for the mackerel skins from the food recycling, and demands a carnivore input at least twice a day. She likes mice too even into old age (20 human years) and still able to jump up onto laps. Only bics (carbs) she will show interest in are Dreamies and pockets. Not too keen on curry, but peri-peri is on her menu

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonder what is in the tomato paste listed in the ingredients? Perhaps some sugar which accounts for the macros not adding up? The combo of tomatoes, sugar and maize starch would likely spike me too.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fell into this trap with sliced cheeses where they coat each slice with cornstarch to prevent them from sticking to each other. I go for brands that use a plastic flysheet instead, which is not so eco-friendly.
I go for brands that come in a lump and cut my own. Far better on the environment and my tastebuds.
As it takes seconds to cut cheese, it does not impact my diary much.
Alternatively, I could grate and the cheese becomes even more versatile.

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are right about the Maize starch, and the sugar having the impacton your blood
Carbs/Fat/Protein won't add up to 100% because of the amount of water in the product. It is second on the ingredient list, and there will also be a lot of natural water in the fish

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So that remaining 69% of the product is water? Could be, but that prices water as being higher than gasoline.

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The human body is 60 -70% water, so the body of a fish will also be high in water.
You may be right about the gasoline:)

Reactions: Grannypat

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting.
I wouldn't have bothered testing based on that nutritional info, now I will have to methinks.

You didn't have it on toast now did you?:angelic:

Last edited:
Reactions: lucylocket61

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update. Tonight I had 2 mackerel fillets in peri peri coating, 3 snookerball sized potatoes, and a fistfull of french beans, and another of sweetcorn.
My PRE/2hr/4hr readings were 5.3 / 5.6 / 5.9 giving a meal average of 5.6 mmol/l

A previous tin of pilchards in tomato (different supplier) on 2 slices of toast came in at 5.9 / 4.7 / 6.3 average 5.6 mmol/l

The meal average for the sild meal was 8.1 which is the highest by far since Xmas Day meal with Xmas Pud which turned in at 9.6 after cheese and crackers.

My medication is the same for all 3

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just eat the ones that come in oil.
YUK. And add my own tomato ketchup? Defeats the object really. If the other lot can do tasty pilchards in tomato that does not spike me, then I think that is a workable solution. Sorry JW, you lose a customer.