Surprising A1C score

Red_Fox22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Does anyone else find their A1C scores, when carried out by a lab, is always something of a surprise, in that it is always a little lower than your glucose monitor would suggest?

Case in point, I had my first A1C check since September last week. Got the results on Weds of this week on a call with my Endo and I was quite taken aback at how low it was. I had terrible readings over the Xmas period and in December generally and my glucose monitor have me a 90 day average of 75 but the lab showed A1C of just 51.

Very happy obviously but I am just trying to reconcile that score with my numbers. The Xmas period was just terrible, I have numbers in the high teens for days on end. Just cannot see how that is consistent with an A1C of 51 which is an average glucose of just 8.2.

Endo thinks this may be because I subconsciously only test when I feel the numbers are going to be high and this creates a false impression which fails to account for my better periods when I am asleep for example.

Should I just not over analyse and be grateful?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your profile says T2 but you have posted in the T1.5LADA section of the forum..
ow often do you test every day? Sounds like you are missing some lower times (maybe overnight)?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am LADA, I was misdiagnosed. Do you know how to change the profile details?
Yes or at least on a desktop.
Got to your name at the top of the page click on it.
Then go to "Personal Details" section where you can update your personal details which include type.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has this happened before on previous HbA1c tests?

If you have some sort of abnormal haemoglobin cells, such as with anaemia as one example, the HbA1c can be inaccurate and lower than expected. It can also be higher than expected with other haemoglobin variants.

j@mez

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has this happened before on previous HbA1c tests?

If you have some sort of abnormal haemoglobin cells, such as with anaemia as one example, the HbA1c can be inaccurate and lower than expected. It can also be higher than expected with other haemoglobin variants.