New T2

lazybum

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. Fasting BG was 5.3 mmol this morning so things are looking promising!

@EllieM GP seems to think it has something to do with my hyperthyroidism. Exercise tends to bring my BGs down rather quickly. About 2 days ago I did a 30 minute brisk walk + 15 minutes of weights at the gym about an hour after dinner and BG went down to 3.9 mmol.

I've just done a c-pep, GAD a/body and insulin test this morning so just waiting on the results.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've just done a c-pep, GAD a/body and insulin test this morning so just waiting on the results.

Good that your doctor is considering all the possibilities. Hopefully the results will shed more clarity on your situation. Good luck.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

I was diagnosed a week ago with T2. I'm 36/m, family history of diabetes; my father was diagnosed with T2 in his early 30s. I'm of asian descent, so rice is a staple and hence my diet is quite heavy on carbs. I've also had hyperthyroidism, however this has gone into remission and my GP suspects this is a contributing factor as it caused my metabolism to slow down.

I felt particularly lethargic after a carb heavy day last week, bought myself a BG meter. Had a fasting glucose of 11.8 mmol, dragged myself to the GP and got put on 2000mg/day Metformin ER. A1C came back at 11.1. Tests also showed mild non-alc induced fatty liver.

Since then, I've gone on a mainly LCHF diet and started exercising 45-60 mins per day. I've been on Metformin for exactly 7 days, BG levels have dropped significantly and my fasting glucose over the last 3 mornings (taken right after I get up) have been 5.x mmol.

I've been introducing some carbs and sugars back in and actively monitoring BG to see how much my body can tolerate while keeping BG in check. In most cases postprandial BG is consistently between 6.8-7.8 mmol after 2 hours, even if I take a significant amount of fruits, eg. 300g of mixed melon pieces.

The only thing I've noticed is when taking particularly carb/sugar heavy food, BG takes a while to peak. I had a very sweet cream cheese danish for tea, and BG was as follows:
- 6.0 mmol @ 1 hour before meal
- 10.4 mmol @ 1 hour after first bite
- 12.8 mmol @ 1.5 hours
- 11.4 mmol @ 2 hours
- 8.5 mmol @ 2.5 hours
- 6.0 mmol @ 3 hours

I'm assuming BG in non-Ds aren't likely to peak that high, however is the late BG peak @ 1.5 hours typical of insulin resistance, or just slow digestion?
No worries, no lecture. Just wanted to say that I'm not usually this acerbic. Okay, well, I am in real life, but not on here, usually. Depression's been a lifelong battle of mine and with the current lockdown and worries that come with the new covid variant, I'm spiralling down. Not much of an excuse, but an explanation. So, basically, I'm sorry, and I hope you'll not let me get I the way of the actual help people can and do offer here. That said, I'm out. Every time I start sinking I leave the forum for a few days and get back on when I feel better, but there's been no feeling better of late, and I don't think it'll be coming any time soon either. So I should just pack it up before I do more damage.

In any case, I did mean it when I said I hoped you'd take good care of yourself, but considering you're going for further testing and such, I think you'll be okay on that front. Good luck, and again, I'm sorry.

Jo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No worries, no lecture. Just wanted to say that I'm not usually this acerbic. Okay, well, I am in real life, but not on here, usually. Depression's been a lifelong battle of mine and with the current lockdown and worries that come with the new covid variant, I'm spiralling down. Not much of an excuse, but an explanation. So, basically, I'm sorry, and I hope you'll not let me get I the way of the actual help people can and do offer here. That said, I'm out. Every time I start sinking I leave the forum for a few days and get back on when I feel better, but there's been no feeling better of late, and I don't think it'll be coming any time soon either. So I should just pack it up before I do more damage.

In any case, I did mean it when I said I hoped you'd take good care of yourself, but considering you're going for further testing and such, I think you'll be okay on that front. Good luck, and again, I'm sorry.

Jo
No way.
You stay here and carry on with the great advice you give. Please.

lazybum

@JoKalsbeek no worries, we all have our moments!

Fasting BG was 5.1 this morning. Seems certain carbs affect me less than others. Had half a bowl of basmati rice with dinner and BG went from 6.3 pre-meal to 6.7 2h postprandial!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Jo
Stick with it, please.

lazybum

Finally caught up with the GP and got my results back.

FBG was 4.7. Insulin and C-pep levels were normal. 9 hour fast.

Turns out my Accu-chek Guide isn't particularly accurate and reads high. I did a test before (5.3) and after (5.4) the blood sample draw.

Reactions: kokhongw