The Fast 800

WinstonR

Hello all,

Relatively newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. After the initial shock, I went through a faze of depression, denial etc.
Now I'm in a good place, accepting that I need to make changes. I am currently watching what I eat and have had some success at losing weight. I have recently come upon the fast 800 and wondered if anyone has tried this or anything similar?

I have in the past before I had type 2 diabetes, I would do 24-48 water fasting, which I found quite easy. My concern now though is taking metformin, I find I feel nauseous if I take it without eating. Wondered if doing the fast 800 would be a better option and welcome suggestions.

I know that most "diets" say to aim to lose 1-2lbs a week, however I have been researching and found some studies suggesting rapid weight loss might be a better option for someone with diabetes. I am about 19 stone and just under 6ft, so I do have a lot of weight to loose. The doctors have given me pretty much 3 months to loose as much as possible, but then have given me no guidance on how to do this. I'm worried about my diabetes getting worse, I currently just take 2 metformin a day, I don't want to increase that and I definitely do not want to take insulin. I realistically would like to go into remission, so would really benefit from some advise from people in similar situations.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You sound like me, I was 19.5st at diagnosis & the doctor gave me one shot before metformin.
I wend low carb, snaller portions & started walking 30 mins per day.
I lost 5.5st in 6 months & have kept if off.

Don't trouble yourself with calories, shakes & the like.
It's the weight loss not how it's done that's the key.
Prof Roy Taylor, who came up with the Newcastle Diet, has said as much.

The Fast 800 is designed for people who have trouble follow diets or like the idea of this more analytical approach.
Loose the weight & you'll pass a point where you blood sugar "may" normalise.
It worked for 86% of newly diagnosed T2's in his trial.
Note this method may only work if visceral fat is the reason for your insulin resistance.
Lower diagnostic levels & shortness of diabetes duration were also positive factors in the success of the subjects.

Maintaining the weight loss has proved to be more problematical.
Bariatric surgery patients have been more successful long term as they physically cannot over eat.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I personally used intermittent fasting and an ultra low carb diet to put my T2 into remission.
Eat usually twice per day - mid afternoon and dinner.
Aimed for a ketogenic (20g of carbs per day or less).
Lost 120 pounds in the process most of it fairly quickly.
Reduced HbA1c from 87 mmol/m to 36 mmol/m in 3 months.
For the past 4 years HbA1c sub 30 mmol/m
No particular calorie restriction but eating low carb may lead to you eating less.. although many report that they eat more and still lose weight due to hormonal changes.

WinstonR

Cheers for the answers, I see a lot people seem to be going low carb. I have tried this but this was when I was first diagnosed, maybe my heart wasn't really in it at the time. But I struggled, as my diet is so carb dense at the moment.

Maybe its time to give it a serious try this time...

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers for the answers, I see a lot people seem to be going low carb. I have tried this but this was when I was first diagnosed, maybe my heart wasn't really in it at the time. But I struggled, as my diet is so carb dense at the moment.

When I was first diagnosed with T2 just over a year ago, I thought I would try the Fast 800 too. I bought the book, in fact! However after finding this site I never did give it a go, I just went very low carb and worked up to intermittent fasting (one meal a day a few times a week) instead. Like many here I have lost a shedload of weight - over 24kg, normalised my BG and ditched the metformin completely after 9 months or so, and never counted calories.

I can’t say I’ve never been hungry because as my mealtime approaches I am hungry and ready for food, but in a good way. What I have completely lost is that awful carb craving and endless snacking on rubbish - for me, that went away quite quickly once I settled into the LCHF way of eating. I rarely eat outside of mealtimes now.

For me low carb/keto is a sustainable way of eating for life in a way that a limited calorie diet is not. In terms of what I eat, my diet is more varied, tastier and more satisfying than all the **** I ate before. I think if you are going to try the Fast 800, make sure you have an exit plan and know how you are going to eat forever after.

I consider that there is more to getting this thing under control than just weight loss. Carbs become glucose, which increases the amount of insulin we have sloshing around and exacerbates our insulin resistance. By reducing the carb load, and limiting the window in which we eat, we give our bodies time to stop producing insulin for a bit, take a breather and let the metabolic pathways sort themselves out somewhat. What we eat matters more than how much, I think - within reason!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you like meat and fish and dairy you'll be fine.
That's all you really need to follow a very low carb diet.
Green veg, salad if you really must but not necessary.

Reactions: oldgreymare

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the Fast 800 before I was diagnosed and before I found out about low carb.
Some of the recipes they use are not low carb and would, I now know, spike my bg, such as the overnight oats with apple.
Others of the recipes are fine.
Best you get a bg meter, test your own bg and see what foods suit your body. Once I saw how some much loved foods spiked my numbers I have had no trouble resisiting those foods and swapping them for low carb options that don't injure my body.

rilakkuma02

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I only lost 10% of my body weight after been diagnosed T2. My fat liver is gone as well as lowered my BG to normal and I am off meds now for 3 months until it is reviewed again. I think losing the amount of weight, fasting are some of the key words to keep our bodies away from inflammations. Let it rest and repair itself. No one can do 800/day forever, but find a way to eat healthily and manage our relationships with food is lifetime thing. You might be surprised you find some ways you really enjoy.

Good luck to all of us, hope to hear more of yours thoughts and good news too.:)

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you really want to do a VLCD (very low calorie diet) look at his Blood sugar diet instead, but plan what you're going to do afterwards, it's not sustainable long term and if you go back to your previous, high carb diet it won't be long until you back at square 1

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi. That's why there is so much obesity around; the carb-dense Western diet. It's not easy at first but a few things. For packaged foods look at the labelling at the back and ignore Traffic Light labelling as it's rubbish. Look for Total carbs which includes sugars. Think proteins and fats and there are many tasty foods in those two groups. Go for complex carbs when you do eat carbs or things like 85% dark chocolate. Snack on berries, cheese, nuts. You soon feel less hungry and even 85% chocolate tastes good!

Primemutton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot written about the diet but not so much about how to come off it . Many say low carb , others low calories , others 2/3 of what you used to eat . The problem is of course those of use who never counted calories cannot possibly know how much that would have been. How have you all transitioned from the NC to “normal eating”

Primemutton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m on week 11 of the 12 week version . It does work well , it’s my second go at it . I think the problem comes a year or two after the diet and maintenance. Quite hard to avoid going off the rails, the maintenance period /continued weight loss period is longer than people think .

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For type 2's we have to stay low carb for life, so its not so much a diet as a way of eating for life.
The counting stops as we learn what foods affect our sugars and it does become normal, to us, and we make habits and adjustments that mean we can cope with the odd celebration.
We (you) will learn to eat what keeps your weight within range. If we fall "off the wagon" we just have to get back on.
If you get a bg meter and test your blood for sugars you will soon see what foods down do you any good and it becomes much easier to avoid them, and to eat the goods tuff instead.
The main benefit from low carb that I find is that I am much more satisfied on it and rarely get hungry as I don't feel deprived. I'm not limited on amounts except by my bg, I don't feel like I am on a diet at all

Reactions: Oldvatr and jjraak

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @WinstonR

The 800 calorie diet was a very worthwhile intervention for me as I lost 15kg, and had stopped medication and returned BG levels to normal by its completion. It was an extremely hard 8 weeks but suited my lifestyle as I was extremely busy at work and not very handy in the kitchen so 3 shakes a day and veges in the evening was something that I could easily prepare. If you go down this track you will need to then build an ongoing diet to maintain control and weight-loss and many including myself used low carb as a followup. My error was after the weight-loss and normal BG to walk away and return my old ways with no structure at all for diet hence here I am again

Also the key to manage you thru whichever path you take is your BG meter so you can monitor your progress

Good luck and ask any questions you may have

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did read up on the shake diets, when I first found forum

Went LCHF instead, as said found the hunger decreased from ravenous all the time, to looking forward to dinner hunger.

Eat better all around, so don't feel too deprived

Agree fully, the exit diet is essential.
Did see stats from those running courses that 2/3 go back to previous state after 2 years.

Not dissing it per se, just seems a plan A that fails, then a Plan B that works, makes me wonder why anyone would choose plan A.

But hey, were all different
And the Goal isn't the journey, it's the journey's end

As intact & healthy as possible, for as long as possible.

WinstonR

Hi @WinstonR

The 800 calorie diet was a very worthwhile intervention for me as I lost 15kg, and had stopped medication and returned BG levels to normal by its completion. It was an extremely hard 8 weeks but suited my lifestyle as I was extremely busy at work and not very handy in the kitchen so 3 shakes a day and veges in the evening was something that I could easily prepare. If you go down this track you will need to then build an ongoing diet to maintain control and weight-loss and many including myself used low carb as a followup. My error was after the weight-loss and normal BG to walk away and return my old ways with no structure at all for diet hence here I am again

Also the key to manage you thru whichever path you take is your BG meter so you can monitor your progress

Good luck and ask any questions you may have

Thank you. Did you lose the 15kg in the 8 weeks? I have been reading up on the fast 800. I need to lose about 2 stone in 2 months. I'm currently losing about a lb a week, which is good in itself, but my doctor set a target for me to lose and its getting nearer and still have about 2 stone to go. Need to take more drastic action. So considering pairing this with the gyms reopening. I know its not sustainable in the long run, but right now I just need to hit my target and think this is the going to be the best way to do it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but my doctor set a target for me to lose and its getting nearer and still have about 2 stone to go.

What advice did your doctor give on how to achieve this unattainable goal?

Crash dieting rarely leads to sustainable weight loss. Far better to lose it slower then be able to maintain the weight loss for longer.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Thank you. Did you lose the 15kg in the 8 weeks? I have been reading up on the fast 800. I need to lose about 2 stone in 2 months. I'm currently losing about a lb a week, which is good in itself, but my doctor set a target for me to lose and its getting nearer and still have about 2 stone to go. Need to take more drastic action. So considering pairing this with the gyms reopening. I know its not sustainable in the long run, but right now I just need to hit my target and think this is the going to be the best way to do it.
Hi WinstonR

Yes actually closer to 16kg and then went on to lose a further 8kg over a few months using low carb. As I stated it was hard work but the quick results kept driving me. I wish you the best with it and suggest as you do so post your daily FBG on here and your weekly weight on the Friday Weigh in thread so we can support you as the crew on here were very supportive of me. Feel free to message me if you have any questions and if you need any support

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How did the doctor say to do this? NHS guidance is 1 to 2lb a week is a safe aim. So you could potentially increase your rate of loss. 2lb is about a kg and I was able to lose that via lower carbing and exercise

personally I see rapid weight at the beginning is not uncommon but then slows down and we often see posts on here where need to help support those who worry they are not doing so well due to this slow down. But it’s totally normal. I am very wary of fast 800 or other rapid diets and any should be under medical supervision (my opinion)

2 stone in 2 months is about 12kg so seems too high to me especially where you are already on a good trend and “drastic action” taking steps that aren’t sensible. I’d really be wary of doing this, I also wonder if going to the gym would end up not giving the effects you want (building muscle meaning no actual weight loss, increasing your appetite etc)

also what is the need to hit this doctor aim, what’s the impact of not going so? Crash dieting is as you say drastic and I can’t see it being recommended