What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Late with my painting today. Just done it!

Fbg earlier 7.1

In Procreate, my digital painting only a quickie, as I have letters to open and postcards to read (postie has just been), and then postcards to write. I never thought snail Mail would become so popular and rewarding again.

F9ECDEC0-5C8B-4652-AE28-411A4ED37F12.jpeg

lindisfel

Expert
91 yo MIL had first jab today - queuing outside in the rain for 3 hrs. They did eventually provide chairs. That can't be right.
That is terrible, Ian, what are they trying to do to old people?

Usually they insist you come just 5 mins before the appointment time and everything goes like clock work.
Space for vaccinations is at a premium.
Would be great hearing an organ play during jab and subsequent 15min wait.
D.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That is terrible, Ian, what are they trying to do to old people?

Usually they insist you come just 5 mins before the appointment time and everything goes like clock work.
Space for vaccinations is at a premium.
Would be great hearing an organ play during jab and subsequent 15min wait.
D.
She is home and warming up. Basically all we can do is hope and pray all turns out ok. Fings ain't wot they useta be

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a quite noisy, rain drumming, wind blowing morning in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of almost a full English but let’s not push it came in at 4.8 this am

What a fabulous day it was yesterday - bright, sunny, clear sky, quite cold, wrap up warm, not too many people, 5 miles. Turmeric tea making also yesterday - a batch lasts about a week in the fridge. Bread making - I must make some bread today - I have begun to use a pyrex dish lined with silicone paper for the dough to rise and then put the whole thing in the oven - cut into slices and into freezer bags it lasts 10 to 12 days so tea making and bread making are always out of synch. Very planetary.
Talking to son last night and overheard one of the grandchildren; “sorry darling, I can’t hear you over the sound of the vacuum cleaner, legs up darling so I can get underneath, thank you darling”. - What’s that all about? “They are playing at being Grandmother”. Crazy kids.

Sanity exercise - we are planning a holiday, using the world map that covers a whole wall in our dining room for ideas - it will be very expensive - so many places on the itinerary - Mrs Miggins will need a whole new ensemble (can’t be bought in Primark - the don’t do ensembles, just lift music). Where to begin - as the Irish would say, “I wouldn’t start from here”.
Picture today on a small sample (3 x 7 inches) of quite nice rice paper - lets go back to the mountains. Hope that everyone is as well as they can be. Must be time for koffy somewhere on the planet.

View attachment 46906
And what a great place to start your world tour, mountains at sunrise from the highest peak. Majestic Mountains and wonderful colour wash for sun rise.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Fbg earlier 7.1

In Procreate, my digital painting only a quickie, as I have letters to open and postcards to read (postie has just been), and then postcards to write. I never thought snail Mail would become so popular and rewarding again.

View attachment 46910
Another magical realm looking for the light.

Reactions: jjraak

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have finished yesterday's painting, with my new specs on, not sure if it they improved my painting but they improved my vision. :)

A4 watercolour, could be any of many forest clad Pools on Cannock Chase.

IMG_4366.JPG

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
91 yo MIL had first jab today - queuing outside in the rain for 3 hrs. They did eventually provide chairs. That can't be right.
What a mess. If this vaccination roll out is being organised by our top military experts as was earlier suggested, heaven help us if we get invaded.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What a mess. If this vaccination roll out is being organised by our top military experts as was earlier suggested, heaven help us if we get invaded.
There is a very big Leisure centre with a huge car park and plenty of indoor covered areas where the vaccinations could have been done safely. These were done in an old telephone exchange in a back street with no parking. She may have moved here before the 2nd dose and ours look set to be in a large community hall where we had our flu jabs. By far the best organised we have ever had. She had the Pfeizer one there - no idea what people may have here. Apparently, a large part of the delay was due to a lack of understanding over the whole process - technical hitch she was told.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a very big Leisure centre with a huge car park and plenty of indoor covered areas where the vaccinations could have been done safely. These were done in an old telephone exchange in a back street with no parking. She may have moved here before the 2nd dose and ours look set to be in a large community hall where we had our flu jabs. By far the best organised we have ever had. She had the Pfeizer one there - no idea what people may have here. Apparently, a large part of the delay was due a lack of understanding over the whole process - technical hitch she was told.

I couldn't have lasted that 3 hour wait. I would have had to gone back home. Goodness knows how cold she is, or how long it will take her to warm up. Hugs for her Ian.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That is really good he has improved overnight @Krystyna23040

With my first hearing dog for the deaf, Truffle her name was, after the stroke I did have to always lift her in and out of the car, she was unable to do that high jump. But once her 4 feet were on the ground, she could walk along as well as any dog, and wagging her tail. J and I used to travel all over the UK, and she went on walks with us. I recall and also have photos where she came walking round the Avebury standing stones with us.

I also had a quail many years later. She was lying on her side in her cage all frantic one morning. The vet said she'd had a stroke. A quail having a stroke? Vet said he would put her down. No, I said. I am taking her home. Vet said I was causing her suffering and she would die. I was very fond of this quail. And she laid me eggs daily.

Back home, what the heck do I do with a quail that can only lay on its side fluttering frantically? I sat all day with her upright in my lap, Popeye was on one side of me on the couch, and my then Hearing Dog for the Deaf, Meg, sat on the other side of me. Both looking for the main chance. J my partner was laughing at this sight. And then he told me the quail was singing. I didn't have the cochlear implant at that time so I have no idea. But holding her, felt as though she, the quail, was vibrating, purring. She looked happy!

But that night, what do I do? I prop her up in her cage (realistically I cannot sit with her 24 hours so I had to compromise), but she kept falling over, then I realised her feeding dish had a curved bowl. I sat her in that. She kept upright. And was still sitting in it in the morning. So this went on for a fortnight, daytime on my lap (Meg and Popeye never giving up on their eye for the main chance), and night time propped upright in the curved feeding bowl. Maybe a fortnight of this. Then one morning she was walking round the cage. She lived around another couple of years. And laid eggs for me every day just about. And everyday, I continued to take her out of the cage for an hour or so and sat her on my lap. And every day Popeye and Meg never gave up their eye for the main chance. The quail, Henrietta, died one night in her cage and left me one last beautiful blue egg...
Really great that Truffle made such a good recovery. How lovely also that Henrietta had two more happy years of life after her stroke and luckily avoided being eaten by Meg and Popeye.

Had to hand feed Archie again this morning because he still couldn't eat or drink from a bowl. It was as though he had forgotten how to.

Our local pet shop only had very small food syringes, but when they did a thorough search they found one large food syringe so we could syringe water into his mouth. I was so pleased that they took the time to search for it as we were worried he would get dehydrated even though we were soaking his food in water and bone broth.

This evening, to our amazement, he suddenly began to eat from his bowl. Tried some water and he drunk that. He is progressing so much faster than we could have hoped for.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I couldn't have lasted that 3 hour wait. I would have had to gone back home. Goodness knows how cold she is, or how long it will take her to warm up. Hugs for her Ian.
If this hadn't happened to MIL we would never have known and maybe have been tempted to believe such things couldn't happen. Makes me wonder how many other examples of such nonsense will happen and never come to wider attention?

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really great that Truffle made such a good recovery. How lovely also that Henrietta had two more happy years of life after her stroke and luckily avoided being eaten by Meg and Popeye.

Had to hand feed Archie again this morning because he still couldn't eat or drink from a bowl. It was as though he had forgotten how to.

Our local pet shop only had very small food syringes, but when they did a thorough search they found one large food syringe so we could syringe water into his mouth. I was so pleased that they took the time to search for it as we were worried he would get dehydrated even though we were soaking his food in water and bone broth.

This evening, to our amazement, he suddenly began to eat from his bowl. Tried some water and he drunk that. He is progressing so much faster than we could have hoped for.

I was amazed Popeye and Meg restrained....I think they knew it was more than their lives were worth to carry out their thoughts...

Archie appears to need his memory jogging as regards food and water. He just needs showing a few things again, and then his automatic responses should kick in again.

You and Archie are doing really well. I am pleased for you @Krystyna23040

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
That is really good he has improved overnight @Krystyna23040

With my first hearing dog for the deaf, Truffle her name was, after the stroke I did have to always lift her in and out of the car, she was unable to do that high jump. But once her 4 feet were on the ground, she could walk along as well as any dog, and wagging her tail. J and I used to travel all over the UK, and she went on walks with us. I recall and also have photos where she came walking round the Avebury standing stones with us.

I also had a quail many years later. She was lying on her side in her cage all frantic one morning. The vet said she'd had a stroke. A quail having a stroke? Vet said he would put her down. No, I said. I am taking her home. Vet said I was causing her suffering and she would die. I was very fond of this quail. And she laid me eggs daily.

Back home, what the heck do I do with a quail that can only lay on its side fluttering frantically? I sat all day with her upright in my lap, Popeye was on one side of me on the couch, and my then Hearing Dog for the Deaf, Meg, sat on the other side of me. Both looking for the main chance. J my partner was laughing at this sight. And then he told me the quail was singing. I didn't have the cochlear implant at that time so I have no idea. But holding her, felt as though she, the quail, was vibrating, purring. She looked happy!

But that night, what do I do? I prop her up in her cage (realistically I cannot sit with her 24 hours so I had to compromise), but she kept falling over, then I realised her feeding dish had a curved bowl. I sat her in that. She kept upright. And was still sitting in it in the morning. So this went on for a fortnight, daytime on my lap (Meg and Popeye never giving up on their eye for the main chance), and night time propped upright in the curved feeding bowl. Maybe a fortnight of this. Then one morning she was walking round the cage. She lived around another couple of years. And laid eggs for me every day just about. And everyday, I continued to take her out of the cage for an hour or so and sat her on my lap. And every day Popeye and Meg never gave up their eye for the main chance. The quail, Henrietta, died one night in her cage and left me one last beautiful blue egg...

Á very touching tale Gennepher.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs I am lost for words at the total madness of expecting anyone to queue outside in the pouring rain for 3 hours in the middle of winter. Even worse was the fact that they knew everyone was over 80. What were they thinking of to expect your 91 year old MIL to do this - even if they eventually provided a chair.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was amazed Popeye and Meg restrained....I think they knew it was more than their lives were worth to carry out their thoughts...

Archie appears to need his memory jogging as regards food and water. He just needs showing a few things again, and then his automatic responses should kick in again.

You and Archie are doing really well. I am pleased for you @Krystyna23040
Thank you @gennepher. I think you are right that Archie just needs showing a few things again so that his automatic responses kick in again. Did you find the same with Truffle?

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Fbg earlier 7.1

View attachment 46910
Through a glass brightly - lovely

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that’s not good - bad planning all round - hope that she in now home and cosy warm.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Like your sanity exercise @dunelm

I use Google Earth, and travel round the places my postcrossing friends send me postcards of...

Ha ha to the grandkids game...:happy:

Love your mountains and the full colouring.
Thank you @gennepher - yes, children are wonderfully free if you let them. They went on a bear hunt today in a local woods and told me about finding dragon eggs and doorways into trees.

Reactions: mojo37