What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

RachelK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Gastroparesis
Good morning all. Slept in a bit today, exhausting day at work yesterday.

Fbg was 4.6 today.

@DJC3 -- Hugs for the January blues.
@Pipp -- Hope the cough resolves soon.
@RachelK -- Thank you so much. Yes, on a keto diet. How about you?

Not on keto this weekend but that’s how I get fasting BGLs in the 4’s which is why I asked.

Even on really low carb if it’s not keto ratios I won’t get BGL’s in the 4’s

I’ll definitely try to easy back into it tomorrow though :)

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4.7 today. Have been on Reduced Metformin for just about 2 weeks now with no discernable mpact, so Looking good to remove drugs altogether. Negative for Covid, so just a bit of a sniffle, my partner is positive, so that's a pain

Last edited:

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4.7 today. Reduced Metformin, no impact. Looking good to remove drugs altogether. Negative for Covid, so just a bit of a sniffle, my partner is positive, so that's a pain
Hope your partner feels better soon Andydragon

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
6.6 this morning.

I’ve become aware that my “natural” level is being stuck/plateaued within the Sixes. Has this been other’s experience and if so what have you done to drag your levels down? My target is to get stable within the lower fives and, with the advice from my GP, to reduce my Metformin.

Question: What is happening with my Endocrine system that this last “squeeze” is being stubbornly, infuriatingly resistant?

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
6.6 this morning.

I’ve become aware that my “natural” level is being stuck/plateaued within the Sixes. Has this been other’s experience and if so what have you done to drag your levels down? My target is to get stable within the lower fives and, with the advice from my GP, to reduce my Metformin.

Question: What is happening with my Endocrine system that this last “squeeze” is being stubbornly, infuriatingly resistant?

What on earth is wrong with 6.6 ?

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What on earth is wrong with 6.6 ?
Well, I see “others” here, either on or off Metformin, who’ve achieved level 5 or below and stable. Now, in my way of thinking, or on my “Earth” my plateauing in the 6s can be better. Are you saying I should be content with the Sticky-Sixes and deal with my controls?

Thank you, Ymdawd, for your rapid reply.

Stillfighting

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, you should test immediately on getting up. Taking a shower or any other activity will make your BG go up. :)
Hi - I never knew this! I’ll test before and after shower and see what happens. Mine was 6.1 this morning post shower.
Pleased as I’ve been total rubbish with nutrition over last few months, then lying in bed worrying about it all night. Yet repeating bad food choices next day .

Reactions: mojo37

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Fbg this morning was 4.6.

@RachelK -- I'm almost always under 20g of carbs, but don't really worry too much about the other macros -- so not very strict keto. Do you also focus on fat and protein? Other than food, I find that exercise makes a difference (at a minimum every other day). Also, a light dinner and a light midnight snack seem to help.

@Estragon -- I agree with @Ymdawd, fbg levels 6s seem to be fine. Based on the research, I've read (based on the bloodsugar101 website) somewhat higher fasting levels don't seem to be associated with damage while wildly variable levels with large spikes (even for non-diabetics) appear to be much worse.

@Andydragon -- Hugs to you and your partner. Keeping my fingers crossed that your partner recovers soon and that you won't catch it.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.4 this morning.

111 hours into fasting, still feeling perfectly fine and average BG since 12 AM is 4.9.

However, I did receive an ultimatum from my better half last night that I have to eat today so 4.5 days of fasting is where I have to break it. I tried to reason another few hours and it will be a round figure of 5 days but she'll have none of it so .... Well so am off to have a day of food and am looking forward to it. ☺️

Have a lovely weekend everyone.
Do you actually have nothing at all to eat ?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

fbg levels 6s seem to be fine. Based on the research, I've read (based on the bloodsugar101 website) somewhat higher fasting levels don't seem to be associated with damage while wildly variable levels with large spikes (even for non-diabetics) appear to be much.

That is a really encouraging thing to read, thank you very much. I’ve been struggling for ages with FBGs in 6s even though I used to get 5s and the odd 4. Nothing seems to bring it down these days so I’m very reassured by your post.
To stay on topic I had 5.4 today as I was up much earlier than usual; in time to watch the sunrise while swimming in the sea at Porthpean beach.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Estragon -- I agree with @Ymdawd, fbg levels 6s seem to be fine.
I did not read/understand from @Ymdawd that 6s were fine? However, your own results, which are brilliant, is something I can only dream/strive for. Also I’m on 2mg of Metformin per day, which I’d like to ween myself off.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did not read/understand from @Ymdawd that 6s were fine? However, your own results, which are brilliant, is something I can only dream/strive for. Also I’m on 2mg of Metformin per day, which I’d like to ween myself off.

Hi @Estragon,

Might have possibly misunderstood @Ymdawd when he asked why you worry about a 6.6. With respect to somewhat higher fasting levels, this might help: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fasting-blood-glucose-higher

Hope you don't think I am making light of your concern -- because I don't. I am the first to admit, I do try hard to keep fasting levels low -- but I realize there are others who try as hard or even harder and might still see higher levels. Ultimately -- it might be a very individual thing how our metabolism reacts to the changes we make.

In response to your initial question -- for me, regular strenuous exercise (30 minutes plus on an elliptical trainer at high resistance at night), a light dinner plus a light snack before going to sleep, some red wine, and keeping an eye on not going overboard on the protein seems to work well. Hope you find a way that works for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3 and Ymdawd