feeling worried

tigers12

HI EVERYONE IM NEW TO THE FORUM I WAS TOLD I HAD DIABETES MONTHS AGO NOW AND ITS MAINLY CAUSE OF MY WEIGHT IM CURRENLY WAITING ON BARIATIC SURGERY BUT WITH THE VIRUS THATS GOING ON IT WILL DELAY THIS PLUS TOLD IT WILL BE A LONG WAIT

I CURRENTLY TAKE HUMULIN AND TRULICITY 1.5MG
AM GETTING ON FINE MY SUGARS WERE IN SINGLE FIGURES
BUT NOW IM FINDING THEY ARE GOING HIGHER FIRST THING
IN THE MORNING WHEN I CHECK MY SUGARS I SPOKE TO
MY NURSE SHE SAID TO GO UP 2 UNITS EVERY THREE DAYS
I WAS ON 12 UNITS NOW GONE AS HIGH AS 18 BUT STILL FINDING
IM NOT IN SINGLE FIGURES OR BETWEEN 6-9 LIKE SHE WANTS
IM TRYING BEST I CAN SORRY IVE GONE ON IM HOPING
ITS JUST NOT ME THAT IS LIKE THIS :happy:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum.

What are you eating in a typical day please?

Read the link in my signature.

tigers12

Welcome to the forum.

What are you eating in a typical day please?

Read the link in my signature.

HI I HAVE PORRIDGE AND BLUEBERRIES AND COFFEE WITH SWEETNER FOR BREAKFAST
FOR LUNCH COUPLE OF BISCUITS A SANDWICH BIT OF FRUIT MY EVENING MEALS
CAN BE DIFFERENT BUT I DO HAVE LOTS OF VEG
JUST RECENTLY HAD LOTS OF CHOCOLATE OVER CHRISTMAS THAT REALLY DID NOT HELP
BUT IM BACK ON TRACK NOW SINCE THEN MY READINGS HAVE BEEN HIGHER

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many of us have had an improvement by moving to a low(er) carb option. It's also led to weight loss that has reduced drugs and blood levels without the need for surgery

A lot of the foods you talk of here (poridge, fruit, biscuits, the bread in the sandwiches (not sure the filling) are high carbs and could be changed if that's an option)

Potentially the types of veg could be looked at too. If you are eating other high carbs like rice, pasta, potatoes then there are changes too

Ultra low carb is an option but many of us, incl. Myself, had exercise and < 130g

Not familiar with the drugs you are on, is that insulin? There are potential hypo if you change carbs but There are options, you talk of weight linking to diabetes so assuming type 2, is this the case as treatments are different and others who are type 1 can add to/offer different to my comments

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Porridge, biscuits, bread, fruit, chocolate are all high carb foods that need to be avoided , at least until you get your weight down & then perhaps your insulin sensitivity will recover.
It's all about the carbs not the calories.

tigers12

Many of us have had an improvement by moving to a low(er) carb option. It's also led to weight loss that has reduced drugs and blood levels without the need for surgery

A lot of the foods you talk of here (poridge, fruit, biscuits, the bread in the sandwiches (not sure the filling) are high carbs and could be changed if that's an option)

Potentially the types of veg could be looked at too. If you are eating other high carbs like rice, pasta, potatoes then there are changes too

Ultra low carb is an option but many of us, incl. Myself, had exercise and < 130g

Not familiar with the drugs you are on, is that insulin? There are potential hypo if you change carbs but There are options, you talk of weight linking to diabetes so

I DO TRY NOT TO HAVE TO MUCH POTATO I TRY TO EXERCISE I CANT GO FAR AS GET A LOT OF PAIN CURRENTLY ON STRONG PAIN KILLERS I KNOW WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY MY DOCTOR IS SORTING FOR ME CAUSE IVE TRIED SLIMMING WORLD IN THE PAST NOT GOT VERY FAR I DO ALSO DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS I CANT DRINK WATER SO HAVE NO ADDED SUGAR SQUASH I DRINK SOME FIZZY DRINKS BUT THE NO SUGAR ONES ITS OK MY NURSE SAYING KEEPING GOING UP ON HUMILIN I EVEN SAID MAYBE SOMETHING ELSE WOULD WORK BETTER BUT SHE SAYS TO KEEP GOING UP 2 UNITS EVERY THREE DAYS TILL MY SUGARS ARE IN SINGLE FIGURES

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Changing your diet would be better for you, has to be done carefully with insulin.

Look at dietdoctor.com for food ideas.

Reactions: ert

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always been able to reduce my weight by stopping all those healthy carbohydrates we are supposed to eat.
After diagnosis I went back to eating a low arb diet and lost 50lb or more - I had stopped weighing myself as I just could not control my weight on the diet my doctor wanted me to eat which was supposed to reduce cholesterol. Low carb also controls my blood glucose levels.

Reactions: oldgreymare

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Like the others, I am assuming you are T2 diabetic, not T1.
How long have you been diabetic?

T2 diabetics are insulin resistant (caused by your genetics), so they need more and more insulin to process the carbohydrate in the food they eat. Unfortunately high levels of insulin plus high blood sugars lead to weight gain, which leads to more insulin resistance and then higher blood sugars and then more weight gain..... Eventually their bodies can no longer produce enough insulin to cope with the carb load and they need medication, ultimately resulting in insulin as the final medication. Very long term T2s may need insulin because their own insulin production has been damaged by long term high blood sugars. but many still produce lots of insulin and it's the insulin resistance that is the issue.

So you can see that weight gain is a really a symptom of T2 diabetes, not a cause. Most T2s reduce their sugar levels (and usually their weight) as soon as they go low carb, but you have to be a bit careful if you are on insulin, as you don't want your blood sugars to go too low. (Some T2s can come off insulin if they go low carb, but that depends on how much insulin you are still making).

Of course, if you are T1 then you'll always need insulin, though as a T1 with some insulin resistance I find going low carb is the best way to stop my weight from escalating.

As regards the increasing insulin amounts, some T2s need massive amounts of insulin because they are so insulin resistant. (The drug manufacturers actually make extra strong brands of insulin because of this). If you start slowly reducing the carbs in your diet you should find your blood sugars and insulin needs come down.

Good luck.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @tigers12 and welcome to the forum.
When I was diagnosed type 2 the first bit of advice I got from an on call GP was to have bariatric surgery. I was loathe to do anything that drastic, so Googled and found this forum. I followed the advice here and straight away started a low carb diet in addition to the Metformin I was prescribed, and normalised my blood sugars in a few months. A happy side effect was that I lost a shed load of weight! I was soon too light to qualify for surgery!
As mentioned by other members you would have to lower your carbs gently whilst adjusting your insulin to avoid hypos. We cannot however advise you on doses, that’s something you’d have to talk to your nurse about.

tigers12

thanks for all your help im going to talk to the nurse in the morning maybe worth having insulin before my meals to try