New to world of diabetes

Julie 123

Hi I have not got diabetes but my husband is in hospital with Covid pneumonia and they have found out he is type1 diabetes I have no clue what to feed him or what to look out for or anything as I now he will be a nightmare as he lives on coke larger and takeaways I was after a bit of advice were to start what foods to buy what foods not to av ect if anyone can help

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
First step is to make sure (beyond doubt) he's T1, not T2

The treatment regimes are VASTLY different.

Stick around. Others will add a lot more to my post

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes, do check that T1 diagnosis versus T2. A T1 having lots of full-fat Coke etc would expect to have been quite ill with very high blood sugar before the Covid - unless the Covid caused it. The food advice between the two types can be quite similar. Both types are characterised by an inability to metabolise carbs properly. In T2s is due to insulin resistance from excess weight. In T1 it's due to insufficient insulin. If T1 on insulin then any carb reduction needs to be done in conjunction with insulin dosage review. So, in general avoid carb-heavy foods. Proteins and Fats are fine and so are veg and non-tropical fruit.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I hope your husband pulls through the concerns with covid.

The diabetes thing can be figured out later.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The food advice between the two types can be quite similar. Both types are characterised by an inability to metabolise carbs properly.
I completely disagree that the food advice can be similar.
With correct dosing and timing, someone with Type 1 does not need to reduce carbs.
With a HbA1C below that of someone diagnosed with type 2 and few hypos, I enjoy the same diet as my partner who has a healthy pancreas.
I enjoy pasta, rice, bread, pizza, ...

So, @Julie 123 if the Type 1 is confirmed, there is no need to change your husband's diet.

As there are more than 9 times as many people with type 2 compared with Type 1, it is easy to get distracted by the prolific low carb mantras on any diabetes forum.
As a result, people with Type 1 have ended up with eating problems and unnecessary hypos.

I realise some people with Type 1 choose to adopt a low carb diet but this needs to be done with care, as you say @Diabell.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and Welcome. Firstly, baby steps, concentrate on your hubby getting well and over coronavirus first. The diabetes is manageable whether it is Type 1 or Type 2. Once you know for certain what Type he is (1 or 2) come back there are plenty on here to offer yous good advice. Yous are going to be ok. Take care - virtual hug to you x

Reactions: Fairygodmother

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
1 He needs to get better once he's out of hospital so home cooked and fresh is good for any recovering invalid.
2 He will hopefully be leave with an insulin prescription, blood glucose testing strips and some ideas of dosing to beg.in with.
i think 1 is the first thing to sort out and 2 will follow and if he's willing to learn and make progress
3 Not sure how his diagnosis has been made but worth asking how they know that he has stopped making insulin i.e. his immune system has destructed his insulin making cells. Would be wotth askig if he has had a c peptide test or is it just that his blood sugar is very high and they have assumed that he isn't making enough insulin. The lack of insulin could be a side effect of covid but so is having very high blood sugars if you already have some degree of insulin resistance (cake and lager don't help this situation!)
I hope he recovers well and this episode prompts him to clean his diet up. Not that he can never eat cake and drink lager again of course!