Normal values after eating - non-diabetic

dvn

Is it normal to have BS spikes of 8-9 30mins, 1 hour after eating in non-diabetic people even if the BS level goes under 7.8 after 1.5-2hours?
I heard somewhere that non-diabetic people rarely go above 7.8 even after eating a high-carb meal, but it is quite confusing. Is 7.8 the absolute maximum one’s BS should reach?

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on what you eat - higher carb foods are known to cause higher glucose levels, but non-diabetics will (generally) return to their pre-meal base levels faster. Some forum members have tested their non-diabetic partners/faimily members and have seen higher spikes than those you've quoted.

Figures are officially defined/recommended targets not absolute gospel and we're definitely not laboratory experiments.

Reactions: oldgreymare and dvn

dvn

Thanks!
I’m just trying to figure out if it’s possible that I have developed pre-diabetes or diabetes. I had GDM and gave birth 3 months ago. I’m sometimes checking my BS and it spikes at the above mentioned values.
Will go for OGTT next week though, so I’ll see if anything remained.

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many forum members have found that keeping a food diary is useful in conjunction with checking and logging glucose levels. Doing so will show you any relationships between what you eat and the resulting glucose levels, so you can tailor your diet accordingly by avoiding any really spikey stuff.

Fats and protein are far better for you than low nutrition high carb foods, so if you can adapt your eating style by cutting down on these regardless of any diabetic status, you'll be doing yourself - and baby - a big favour, IMO!

Reactions: oldgreymare and dvn

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will go for OGTT next week though, so I’ll see if anything remained.

Bring your meter with you as the surgery might only do a fasting & 2 hour draw.
Take every 30 mins if you can.

Reactions: dvn

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A two hours OGTT, will not tell the whole story.
They we be looking for the usual type two diagnosis. Insulin resistance.
But what happens after could give a better idea of why you are feeling awful.

Keep safe

MarkHaZ123

Tried it a few times with my partner. She's often curious when I tell her my reading is say 16 after a meal.
The highest she has tested is around 9 but checked not long after and it was right back down. I think this was after we had had an Indian and we always have a feast from the Indian

Reactions: Lamont D

dvn

Yeah, since then I tested again with a big slice of cherry pie and my BS was 8.5 after 2hrs so it’s for sure that I have some kind of diabetic condition. I’m quite surprised though as I’m only 30years old, have always been slim and sporty and ate healthy most of my life. Guess it’s genetics, my granddad had T2..

Reactions: oldgreymare

RachelK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Gastroparesis
Yeah, since then I tested again with a big slice of cherry pie and my BS was 8.5 after 2hrs so it’s for sure that I have some kind of diabetic condition. I’m quite surprised though as I’m only 30years old, have always been slim and sporty and ate healthy most of my life. Guess it’s genetics, my granddad had T2..

I developed diabetes at BMI 15.4!

Also since you had GDM you’re more likely to develop T2D and if your mother had DM when pregnant with you that also increases the likelihood.

However I’d make an appointment with an endocrinologist because it can take a while after stopping breast feeding for hormones and BGL to mellow out.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

I was around a BMI of 22 or less when in my 30s. But 'healthy eating' i.e. low fat as advised by governments worldwide caused me to gain weigh of the decades and eventually become diabetic at a BMI of 26 just under 2 yrs ago.

Now fixed all that with a Low carb way of eating (count carbs not calories). Blood Glucose is normal, BMI is 22 again.

dvn

I developed diabetes at BMI 15.4!

Also since you had GDM you’re more likely to develop T2D and if your mother had DM when pregnant with you that also increases the likelihood.

However I’d make an appointment with an endocrinologist because it can take a while after stopping breast feeding for hormones and BGL to mellow out.

Thanks, will do for sure. As far as I know breastfeeding improves BGL, so I assume it might get worse once I stop it

dvn

A quick update from me:

Just got the results of the OGTT:

Glucose:
0’: 5.0 mmol/l
60’: 7.5 mmol/l
120’: 6.8 mmol/l

Insulin:
0’: 4.9 mIU/l
60’: 27.4 mIU/l
120’: 26.4 mIU/l

hba1c 5.5%
HOMA-IR 1

I guess it seems to be okay-ish so far, right?

Will go back for another OGTT once I stop breastfeeding.