Sudden change in eyesight

freeboarder42

Hi all,

I have Diabetes type 3C (no pancreas, similar to type 1). I recently experienced a sudden change in eyesight and could use experience.

First the sight in my right eye got worse over night, and then the sight in my left eye. My eyesight got blurry and when it's bright, my view gets foggy. Particularly reading on a computer screen with a white background got very hard. This is similar to what a cataract would cause according to what I found on the Internet.

My eyes were checked by an ophthalmologist when my right eye got bad, but apart from an obviously pre-existing cataract in both eyes she found nothing. She said that she never heard of a sudden change in eyesight caused by a cataract.

I would like to know if anyone has experience with a sudden change in eyesight caused by Diabetes. My glucose levels were mostly in the range of 5 to 10 (with the usual 12 or so after a meal), but for some weeks I nearly every day had a period of 3 to 6 hours with a level up to 15 (mostly at night).

Would be very nice if you shared your experience with eyesight changes caused by Diabetes.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
but for some weeks I nearly every day had a period of 3 to 6 hours with a level up to 15
I think this is the most likely answer. Changing blood glucose levels temporarily changes your eyesight. Blurry vision is one of the pointers to test for diabetes. Same the other way round: If you've been running high for a while and your levels get lower (for instance after diagnosis and treatment) you may experience blurry vision as well until your eyes are used to the 'new normal'.

But by all means ask your HCP about your eyes too, to rule out other causes, they're pretty precious!

Have you spoken to your endo about your high numbers during the night?

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say eyesight deterioration due to high bs level is very common. For me it was very noticeable when diagnosed (hba1c 100) and after having cough syrup.. I couldn’t read my mobile text !! I’m not sure if bs level you have mentioned (5 to 10 and 12 only after meal) should cause eyesight problem though.

Reactions: freeboarder42

freeboarder42

I think this is the most likely answer. Changing blood glucose levels temporarily changes your eyesight. Blurry vision is one of the pointers to test for diabetes. Same the other way round: If you've been running high for a while and your levels get lower (for instance after diagnosis and treatment) you may experience blurry vision as well until your eyes are used to the 'new normal'.

But by all means ask your HCP about your eyes too, to rule out other causes, they're pretty precious!

Have you spoken to your endo about your high numbers during the night?

Thanks :) I have spoken to my endo. I know what to do - eat less carbs. I am on it.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know what to do - eat less carbs. I am on it.
While eating less carbs can be very, very helpful, it's also about adjusting your insulin to what you eat. Are you on a basal/bolus regime and counting your carbs to determine your insulin doses?

freeboarder42

While eating less carbs can be very, very helpful, it's also about adjusting your insulin to what you eat. Are you on a basal/bolus regime and counting your carbs to determine your insulin doses?

I know. Thanks anyway. I adjust my insulin doses to the carbs I eat. I use a CGM and an AI powered app to calculate the short acting insulin before eating. This usually works well, but I occasionally need medication that affects the glucose level, and then it gets hard to control.

My question was more about if someone did experience sudden change in eyesight (overnight) due to Diabetes, because I don't find anything on the Internet, and neither my diabetes care team nor my ophthalmologist had experience with this. Just in case I am seeing the ophthalmologist today to rule out something serious.

Reactions: Antje77