Cant find a cereal that doesn't shoot my blood sugar right up!

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there

Late to this thread.
I like you have tried every cereal imaginable. I have also tried every combination of bolusing too, all to no avail.
I am now on a pump and can not still suss cereal and especially porridge which I still miss. My spikes were massive like yours.
In essence I have given up on cereal.
I eat an apple, cheese and a handful of nuts, a quick breakfast for me.
Good luck.

Reactions: oldgreymare

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My circumstances are very different to yours, but I have Paleo cereal at various times of the day. It is pretty low carb, approx 5g for a 40g serving. Lots of dried berries, nuts, seeds. Very nice but expensive unfortunately. £4 a carton which is 9 servings IIRC.

HTH
Yes it sounds expensive but when you weigh up how much more nutrition you get from it as opposed to how little is in ordinary cereals, then I reckon it's well worth it. So much better than having a bland cereal which is mostly just fibre.

Goma5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eat Natural For Breakfast Protein Granola | Morrisons and Fibre bran both worth a go. Defo need to pre-bolus for fibre bran and not go too mad on the portions.

Personally,. I just always have big bowl of Readybrek with a spoon of honey in it now, injecting Novorapid about 15 mins before., I get a mid morning rise to about 10 sat at my desk but if active at all any rise is pretty much eliminated. The rise generally happens over a few hours as well, so can be useful, unless you have a long drive / commute.

TonyBlue

I still struggle with breakfast after 30 years of trying so many different combinations the one that I know works for me is eggs and bacon with mushrooms but I just don’t have the time to do this every day.
Cereals are a definite no no it doesn’t matter which one always gives me a rise I have learnt now though to have my pre bolus 30 mins before the food whichever I’m having...currently low sugar muesli which is pretty good but not a lot though...
I do want to stop eating breakfast altogether as my sugars are normally ok in the morning but as soon as I eat breakfast I know I’ll be chasing it for a few hours...30 years you’d think I’d got it cracked but as we know it’s not that easy

philwoolfall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used to pre-bolus and massively increase morning insulin (novorapid) in order to bring down the breakfast peak. For a whilst thought it was dawn phenomina, but in the end seem to have pinned it down to being on the wrong basal insulin, which wasn't covering me properly for the start of the day. Have now switched for tresiba which seems to have resolved the issue. I have gluten free overnight oats.

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you can get them (Sainsbury's seems to be the only supermarket near me that supplies them) try Staffordshire (or Derbyshire) oat cakes. A little butter and 30 seconds in the microwave and eat. Marmite, if you like it, wrap up bacon, sausages, etc in them. I love them, but maybe not for everyone.

shubido

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me the least worst is porridge. Slower burning carbs too so you should feel fuller for longer.

Some people refer to Novorapid as Novosluggish. It's not that great at stopping spikes but as @Rokaab has suggested, experiment with taking your dose earlier, or possibly increasing it (under guidance from your diabetes nurse / doctor).
I agree but also check the carb values and fibre values as different makes vary considerably

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else have this problem? I need something quick to eat in the morning, I need carbs in the morning as I'm a nurse and mornings are the the most physical time for me. My blood will be sitting at 7mmol, I'll have 30g of bran flakes, 2 units of novo rapid and it still shoots up to the 20s, I cant take any more insulin as I say its physically demanding job and I hypo if I have any more. It does come back down but dont want this huge spike as it makes me tired.

Dan87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had some success with Lizzis Low Sugar Granola (light blue box in supermarkets) about 3.75 a packet, very low GI. There's also granola on www.carbzone.co.uk which is high in fat and protein but very low carb, don't know if that will give you what you need but doesn't spike my levels.

Last edited:

Olive_Deme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello
I'm late to respond, but yes I have this issue too.
I am on the Omnipod pump and NovaRapid insulin. Usually I give my insulin 15mins before meals (or try to), but at breakfast I have to give my insulin 30-40mins before I eat to prevent a crazy spike! Even doing this I still spike but it comes back down not too long after (if I give my insulin 30-40mins before). I definitely find the morning the hardest to control.
I usually have no added sugar museli and I add fresh fruit (usually blueberries). I used to add dried fruit but that would make my blood sugar too high.

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else have this problem? I need something quick to eat in the morning, I need carbs in the morning as I'm a nurse and mornings are the the most physical time for me. My blood will be sitting at 7mmol, I'll have 30g of bran flakes, 2 units of novo rapid and it still shoots up to the 20s, I cant take any more insulin as I say its physically demanding job and I hypo if I have any more. It does come back down but dont want this huge spike as it makes me tired.

I was a health care assistant for over 20 years, I always have two shredded wheat for breakfast, with 5 units of Humalog insulin followed by a 5 mile cycle to work and depending on the shift as long as I get the required tea break this seemed to sort me out although I have had a few hypos nothing serious.

edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Goma5

Dan87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
I'm late to respond, but yes I have this issue too.
I am on the Omnipod pump and NovaRapid insulin. Usually I give my insulin 15mins before meals (or try to), but at breakfast I have to give my insulin 30-40mins before I eat to prevent a crazy spike! Even doing this I still spike but it comes back down not too long after (if I give my insulin 30-40mins before). I definitely find the morning the hardest to control.
I usually have no added sugar museli and I add fresh fruit (usually blueberries). I used to add dried fruit but that would make my blood sugar too high.
Have you tried swapping the fruit for nuts and swapping milk to almond or soya milk, helped me in the mornings when I have cereal.

lucymain21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used to struggle with this for YEARS. I used to spike after cereal, often going into the 20's, exactly as you've described. The only thing that worked when it was really bad was having a small, low-carb breakfast (yoghurt, maybe a bit of fruit) and sticking to low-sugar cereals (shredded wheat, porridge). Since I switched my background insulin from Levemir to Tresiba, it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. Also, it could be a case of the dawn effect. My doctor suggests bolusing 10-15 minutes before food to counteract this, which I always fotge to do but I can see the logic!

StewartH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I went through the process of giving up carbs a few years back.
Comparing my 'before and after' of injection doses, giving up on breakfast because I really dont feel hungry until lunchtime etc., taught me that dawn phenomenon is very real. I now take 4 units as soon as I get up. That usually keeps BS level on target in the morning period before eating at lunchtime..

If I am planning a physically active day like cycling or labouring on a building site, I have at least 3 boiled eggs for breakfast, even though I am not hungry, because I know I will be by 11 oclock if I am working hard.

The spike you are battling with will be a combination of dawn phenomenon insulin demand and the glucose rush from the cereal, so the ratio calculation for the first dose of the day will not follow the later ratios.

My recommendation.....go to work on an egg :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ledzeptt

ukuleleplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cold, wet weather.
Don't eat the carbs would be my advice. You don't need them. The energy they provide doesn't last. And it's because of the carbs that you need the insulin. Add to which, carbs don't do your weight any favours.
Get up 30 minutes earlier...for your own health.
Scrambled eggs or eggs and bacon. They'll keep you going without spiking your b/g.
You hopefully know your own diabetes but one thing is certain...there is no question to which dietary carbohydrates is the healthy answer.

Reactions: StewartH

ivan 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Fact one: high morning BS is induced by adrenal hormones, irrespective what one eats.
Fact two: avoid cereals, they are just another myth of healthy breakfast alongside with a glass of orange juice.
Try eggs and bacon instead.

Reactions: StewartH

Kbarbaracollins_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My circumstances are very different to yours, but I have Paleo cereal at various times of the day. It is pretty low carb, approx 5g for a 40g serving. Lots of dried berries, nuts, seeds. Very nice but expensive unfortunately. £4 a carton which is 9 servings IIRC.

HTH
I make my own low carb granola from a recipe I found on the internet. Works out loads cheaper Can supply recipe I’d you are interested

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tes ,thats a problem I face . After 60 years following the same cerial breakfast and no problems at all till now. In the last year I have suddenly found my glucose level shoot up to 12 to 15 when before I kept in a more suitable range 8 to 10 for a short time

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I can’t cope with cereals (or wholemeal bread*) in the morning. My “go to” breakfast is seedy porridge: it’s quick, nutritious and filling.

2tbsp chia seed (seems cheapest from Aldi/Lidl, or bulk online)
1 tbsp desiccated coconut
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp bournville cocoa (or other brand without sugar)
2 tbsp frozen raspberries or similar -> don’t bother to defrost (optional ingredient, but good flavour and the only “fruit” I get in my diet)

Add boiling water to get preferred texture (I add 180ml) and stir for a minute to avoid the seeds clumping together.

Then optionally top with (full fat) Greek yoghurt eg.150ml and something crunchy eg. walnuts or pumpkin seeds.

If you don’t like yoghurt, it’d be good to make with hot milk instead of hot water.

Note: This doesn’t taste the same as porridge oats, but it is very chocolatey!

I drink two mugs of coffee (with milk) to start the day else I’m useless. Therefore my total is: 14g carbs, 20g protein and 40g fat - 496 kcal - from MyFitnessPal. I do need to bolus, but I don’t spike.

If pushed for time, I make a bowl up the night before. In the “old days” when we travelled, I took a ready made mixture (dry ingredients) with me to hotels.

Original recipe from https://diatribe.org/three-minute-diabetes-breakfast-changes-lives

*My other breakfast standby is a loaf of LivLife (low carb) bread I keep in the freezer for toast. Only Waitrose and Morrison’s seem to sell it and it’s about £1.50, but only 3.8g carbs per slice.

Otherwise, I often eat eggs as others recommend.

toncra1

Dislikes
NHS give completely wrong advice.

Hi Ley666
I have porridge for breakfast with a good half a spoonful of organic ceylon cinnamon (available from wholefoodsonline) worth a try?