Which Juicer?

RoDnEyBoY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Towie type people
Hi I have been making smoothies in a food processor for a while now and think the time has come for me to get a proper juicer the type I can juice vegetables in.
Does anyone have a recommendation to which make and model I should look out for?

Thank you.

Rod.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nutribullet is mentioned a lot on here. Someone who's got one will testify I hope.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tagged @Brunneria for you she is a big fan of juicing veggies I'm sure she will know exactly what you need

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Thanks for tagging me @lovinglife

I use a powerful blender (vitamix) rather than a juicer, because it leaves you with all the fibre - which slows down the absorption, and therefore the BG rise. So I can only really talk about blenders...

First thing is to consider your budget, and the space you have available.

My vitamix was, without doubt, the best kitchen purchase I have ever made. Guaranteed for 7 years. Blasts ice to snow. Makes icecream in 15 secs and hot soup in 7 mins.
But it cost more than my first (second hand) car, and I saved for months before buying.
It takes up the same space as an A4 sheet of paper and is just tall enough to annoy me when I open a top kitchen cupboard.

There's another, similar brand called the Blendtec, but I've never used it. It is supposed to be just a fraction shorter -enough to open your top cupboard without having to take the jug off the base (cos that gets old fast!)

There are lots of other, cheaper brands, but you need something powerful enough to pulverise the food and give a really smooth result.

The next best ones I keep hearing about are the Nutri Bullet and the Ninja. I think they have a smaller footprint and come with powerful motors, drinking cups, and they are much cheaper (under £100).

If my vitamix died, and I was out of warranty, I would buy the Nutribullet, I think.

Hope that helps

Reactions: 3 people

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a Breville juicer... It juices Whole fruit and veg... its so easy to use... I use it to juice whole carrots, apples, beetroot, lemons, tomatoes etc and its easy to wash in the sink

I also have a Blendtec blender, to make green smoothies and almond milk.

Sometimes I'll juice loads of carrots, apples and ginger in the Breville juicer, then add some this juice to the Blendtec and top up with kale & spinach, chia seeds to make a filling smoothie.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Ceppo

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Thanks for tagging me @lovinglife

I use a powerful blender (vitamix) rather than a juicer, because it leaves you with all the fibre - which slows down the absorption, and therefore the BG rise. So I can only really talk about blenders...

First thing is to consider your budget, and the space you have available.

My vitamix was, without doubt, the best kitchen purchase I have ever made. Guaranteed for 7 years. Blasts ice to snow. Makes icecream in 15 secs and hot soup in 7 mins.
But it cost more than my first (second hand) car, and I saved for months before buying.
It takes up the same space as an A4 sheet of paper and is just tall enough to annoy me when I open a top kitchen cupboard.

There's another, similar brand called the Blendtec, but I've never used it. It is supposed to be just a fraction shorter -enough to open your top cupboard without having to take the jug off the base (cos that gets old fast!)

There are lots of other, cheaper brands, but you need something powerful enough to pulverise the food and give a really smooth result.

The next best ones I keep hearing about are the Nutri Bullet and the Ninja. I think they have a smaller footprint and come with powerful motors, drinking cups, and they are much cheaper (under £100).

If my vitamix died, and I was out of warranty, I would buy the Nutribullet, I think.

Hope that helps

Well said ... Perfect :)

Reactions: 2 people

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
I have a Nutribullet and thoroughly recommend them. Since my recent diagnosis I have not been using it because of the carb content of the fruit. I preferred a mixture of fruit and vegetables but my favourite fruits were apple, pineapple and mango. Also I favoured veg such as beetroot and carrots, again higher carbs than other. Realising these were high in carbs I stopped while I did some further reading. Using the Nutribullet means you benefit from the fibre which is a good thing. The Nutribullet also handles seed and nuts with ease.
I will return to my Nutribullet as soon as I get a few decent ideas for shakes as I miss it. I was a juicer until last year but the Nutribullet is much better in my opinion.
One major advantage, you can blast frozen berries which is very convenient. They are also very easy to clean.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Nutribullet and thoroughly recommend them. Since my recent diagnosis I have not been using it because of the carb content of the fruit. I preferred a mixture of fruit and vegetables but my favourite fruits were apple, pineapple and mango. Also I favoured veg such as beetroot and carrots, again higher carbs than other. Realising these were high in carbs I stopped while I did some further reading. Using the Nutribullet means you benefit from the fibre which is a good thing. The Nutribullet also handles seed and nuts with ease.
I will return to my Nutribullet as soon as I get a few decent ideas for shakes as I miss it. I was a juicer until last year but the Nutribullet is much better in my opinion.
One major advantage, you can blast frozen berries which is very convenient. They are also very easy to clean.

Have a look at the link in my sig.
It takes you to a green smoothie site for type 2s :)
Masses of recipes...

Reactions: 4 people

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
Have a look at the link in my sig.
It takes you to a green smoothie site for type 2s :)
Masses of recipes...
Thank you, masses of lovely recipes with my favourite ingredients. Smoothies on for tomorrow.

SusanMcGee

My Recommendations and Opinions on Omega j8005 Juicer
Why do I LOVE the Omega juicer? Three simple reasons:
1) It’s affordable
2) It’s a slow-press masticating juicer that makes high quality juice and can easily juice wheatgrass & greens too
3) It’s easy to clean and re-assemble

Ralph6984

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ralph from Cornwall.My wife is saving to purchase a Nutrition bullet Pro.This I think gives you the best of both wolds because nothing is wasted that must give you rufage as well as nice juice.Ralph.

Paulcunny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
i have a brevelle blend active, so easy to use and clean! and they are on offer at sainsburys fot £20!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I think juicers are a bad idea for diabetics. The Nutri bullet type things keep the skin the pulp etc.
I have the Ninja pro ... similar to the Nutri. Present off one of my sisters.
I love the thing. Never been a fruit eater but I now have half an apple and half a pear a day and some banana and mango too all blitzed up with cale and spinach and celery and fresh beetroot. So far so good with the sugar levels. Halves because whatever I blitz is shared with my wife.
Probably the first time in my life I'm getting my five a day.
I'm going to start getting a bit more adventurous with it though and start making soups and sauces and dips. Celery soup with cream sounds a simple start.

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
I tried the juicing (used a philips juicer) but tbh, the cost was just too much (the amount of veg needed to make enough juice)

Now use a nutri ninja plus, I think it's probably better to use a blender type machine as you retain the fibre...and that is really important imo

my trouble is, finding veg shakes palatable lol

any recipes people have I would be glad to try

p.s. just found a link to recipes...thanks

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Bunging ice in or ice cold water helps make them more palatble if your not a big veggy fan.

Reactions: 2 people

sunny_alice

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to revive this thread, still I wanted to ask - if someone has any recommendations? Our old juicer has finally died recently (just before Christmas, sheesh) and now we're looking for a replacement. I have checked several options - in case they are still available - and was surprised that both bullet and ninja (recommended by many forum members) are considered to be blenders (source). Don't they destroy any vitamins and nutrients by producing heat?

Last edited:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
If you're having a juicer check your sugar levels two hours later and be prepared to be shocked.
The Ninja and Bullet retain all the fibre so a lot better and no there' not enough heat to notice anything.
Using a juicer means you will be consuming a highly processed food and highly processed foods are not good for us people. Unless of course you are on type one kind of control I suppose.