Diablo no added sugar

lechiffre1969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A friend has very kindly, upon hearing of my diagnosis, bought me a Diable No Added Sugar treats box:

- Chocolate chip and goji berries cookies
- Coconut cream wafers
- Cappuccino cream sweets
- Hazelnut bars
- Vanilla cookies
- Dark cocoa cookies

Obviously I was really touched by their generous gift and thoughts. However, upon looking at carbs levels - wow, it looks like I need to steer well clear.

For example:
2x Coconut Cream Wafers = 17g carbs, 1.6g sugars, 7g polyols
1x Hazelnut Muesli bar = 20.3g carbs, 1.4g sugars, 6.8g polyols

I'm still getting to grips with my allowances etc. However, my HbA1c was 126 upon diagnosis, so I'm being incredibly careful with my intake of sugars and carbs.

Any thoughts on whether I should eat them? Or should I park them to one side for when I've gotten over the HUGE hurdle that I need to cross in the next few months?

Thoughts really appreciated.

BTW - I have to say, I'm not craving anything sweet after 5 days of being in this 'new world'.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Well done for taking your health seriously. Your HbA1c is not far from where mine was.

I would keep it simple:

All meats, fish and shellfish

Vegetables such as cauliflower, brocoli, green beans cabbage, spinach, courgettes, leeks

Berries of any type

Small amounts of nuts (excluding cashews) and seeds

Dairy, but not too much. 95 to 100% dark chocolate.

Drinks, sparling / still water, black coffee, teas.

The above may look restrictive, but it has foods from all of the groups, vitamins and minerals. You can cook in any style, such as Nandos type chicken, curries, steak, lamb burgers.

Eating the above consistently, with sleep and maybe walking after every meal, can get you either remission or very close (all things being equal).

lechiffre1969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done for taking your health seriously. Your HbA1c is not far from where mine was.

I would keep it simple:

All meats, fish and shellfish

Vegetables such as cauliflower, brocoli, green beans cabbage, spinach, courgettes, leeks

Berries of any type

Small amounts of nuts (excluding cashews) and seeds

Dairy, but not too much. 95 to 100% dark chocolate.

Drinks, sparling / still water, black coffee, teas.

The above may look restrictive, but it has foods from all of the groups, vitamins and minerals. You can cook in any style, such as Nandos type chicken, curries, steak, lamb burgers.

Eating the above consistently, with sleep and maybe walking after every meal, can get you either remission or very close (all things being equal).

Thank you - that's really appreciated. I'm pretty close to your meal suggestions there.

Aside from that.... WOW WOW WOW

Just looked at your profile footer. You are an absolute inspiration. Seeing someone who's numbers were similar to mine and who has achieved what you've done. Wow. Good on you!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I received one of those Diablo hampers for Christmas from a well meaning relative. You can subtract the Polyols* from the total carbs to get net carbs but they still makes their products too high for me. I just gave it all away to my non diabetic family.

*polyols are alcohol sugars, neither alcohol or sugar and they generally aren’t absorbed, they pass straight through, hence the warning found on those type of products ‘excessive consumption may have a laxative effect’!

lechiffre1969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I received one of those Diablo hampers for Christmas from a well meaning relative. You can subtract the Polyols* from the total carbs to get net carbs but they still makes their products too high for me. I just gave it all away to my non diabetic family.

*polyols are alcohol sugars, neither alcohol or sugar and they generally aren’t absorbed, they pass straight through, hence the warning found on those type of products ‘excessive consumption may have a laxative effect’!

Thank you. I really appreciate how you've been responding to my posts over recent days. It's great that there's a community out there looking out for each other.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
If I do want something sweet, which is not often. I melt some dark chocolate with some cream and a little sweetener, then put some almonds or Brazil nuts into the chocolate, and coat. Put them in the fridge to set, then put them into a food bag, so I can take one when I feel like it. I do the same with strawberry's, I put them into a food box and keep in the fridge.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear - polyols - I over indulged and my gut flora and fauna had a party - I blew up like a balloon and thought I might explode. Never again. It was so painful.
You might get away with chilling them and cutting them into small segments then having just one small piece, if you have the willpower.

Reactions: lechiffre1969

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I was brought some of these in the early days. Didnt taste very nice at all

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Thank you - that's really appreciated. I'm pretty close to your meal suggestions there.

Aside from that.... WOW WOW WOW

Just looked at your profile footer. You are an absolute inspiration. Seeing someone who's numbers were similar to mine and who has achieved what you've done. Wow. Good on you!
Thanks. I can assure you, my results are middle of the pack and there are countless on this site (diet doctor, the internet) that have done the same and better. The most difficult part is living in a high carb, mostly processed food society, that produces delicious food-like ****.

For me the change was easy, I have not had rice, potatoes, sugar, crisps, pasta, beans, juices, cereals, doughnuts etc. I say easy, because I had physically painful diabetes affecting my feet, legs, fingers, eyes etc; so it was between an inevitable major event, more damage to my kidneys, pancreas, liver, brain and heart, high carb foods, or changing the way I eat. I could not see my youngest daughter across the room clearly, and decided to fight and learn.

So now I walk between 5 and 7 miles a day, workout hard with resistance training to a good level. I eat mostly animal fat / protein diet with safe carbs (for me) as below:

FoodExamples.JPG

The bread like items are made of coconut flour and cream cheese.

My choice to be strict with my foods means that before I eat my sugars are under 5 and never go above 6 (apart from when I tested half an apple, I think 6.2 mmol/L). The 2 middle meals on the middle line was my Christmas day meal, with the before and after numbers. The after number I used to struggle getting as a fasting number (when I was mostly on veg).

upload_2021-1-20_21-46-0.png

Give it a go, you can do better than me.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I didn't start so high as @Mbaker, but I am in full remission and did it purely by cutting carbs down to between 20gms and 40 gms per day.

I would bin those Diablo - or donate them to a non-diabetic who wants to lose weight.
There is a huge difference between No added sugar , no sugar and no/low carb!
All carbs start turning into glucose as soon as you put them in your mouth!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I'm afraid those treats would not fit within my daily allowance. My other concern would be whether I could actually keep to one serving.

I've had a few treats over Christnas- much lower carbs maybe a cupcake with 2-3 carbs or a packet of 'cookies' with 4-5 carbs- I find them addictive and find it difficult- not impossible but difficult to stick to just one so I now don't have them in the house as much. The lower carb I keep the less the ravings so that makes it easier for me. I also stick to less than 10 grams a day but went up to possibly 20 grams on some days over Christmas which resulted in weight gain as well :(

I think it is good that these are out there- if I knew before my diagnosis what I know now these may have been treats I could have indulged in and delayed my diagnosis.