What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@annabell1 - hugs for the tooth issues. I hope it is resolved soon one way or the other. Nothing worse than a niggling tooth. Monday bed 6.3 FBG 6.5. Back on Home Schooling. He was a little upset this morning but I got him to mine fairly easily and we powered though a lot of work. Still didn't want to eat but I did convince him to drink water and eventually a couple of plain biscuits. Called brother & SIL and he didn't sound as breathless today. I know he's not going to get better but it is nice that he can speak without it sounding a huge effort. Going up on Tuesday with some shopping they need.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with pate.
L. Nothing
D. Iceland finally had my favourite wild shrimp with tomato and chilli back in stock so had that with added cauliflower rice, a tomato, couple of mushrooms, 3 mozzarella mini balls needing used and Thai red curry. Odd combination but it worked.
I washed it down with a raspberry & blackcurrant gin & zero lemonade.
I am getting increasingly annoyed with these Scottish "clear your head" adverts that must be costing us a fortune - don't drink! Go out for a walk? Eh excuse me, have your seen the weather out there plus there is another Ad on constantly telling us to stay in our homes! The fact that the cartoon characters in the Ad are giant telly tubbies does nothing for me either. Sorry if I'm a bit of a moan at the moment but I have so much going on the last thing I need is this Nanny state. Moan over.

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@googmergal
Doesn't appear so. I am starting to wonder if its all sweetners with me
View attachment 46945

It's certainly all sweeteners for me. That's why I don't use anything containing sweetener of any sort. Massive headaches, palpitations and muscle weakness are the result. But then, sugar isn't so much better for me. It leads to muscle weakness and stomach problems.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.2 FBG 6.9. @Goonergal - I've read about the ***** Bears. Scary stuff. Busy, busy day. Up early to get to first appointment at chiropodist, quick shop for things brother/SIL needed then pick up grandson for home schooling. I actually persuaded him to eat today which is progress. A ham sandwich, a few Dorittos (which I think taste like cardboard but he likes them) and a plain biscuit. It never rains but it pours! Son's fridge freezer AND their dishwasher both went kaput this morning and they are down 2 wages currently. We've paid for the replacements so they can get them quickly. Both are integrated so not cheap. Meantime, neighbours and ourselves have their food in our fridges/freezers. Thank goodness I'd been eating from the freezer too. So, I'm feeding them from my freezer by taking some frozen thing along in the morning so they can thaw and have it at night until new appliances come on Saturday.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with pate.
L. Another TAG
D. A chicken escalope with a garlic LC crumb, mushrooms, spinach and another find in Iceland - a creamy broccoli & cauliflower "cake" 7.9g carbs but you just cook it in the oven and it's a bit like a cauli/broccoli souffle. 2 squares of Godiva (no gin but no walk either).

@Mrs T 123 - I'd already said back at New Year we'd be going at least until after February mid term. Call me a cynic but, it really wouldn't surprise me if this lockdown was kept going until Easter with the furlough etc being extended. Still haven't got grandson's access to the online teaching sorted either.

Niece is due to arrive from Australia tomorrow. I'm going back to brother's on Thursday with a batch of home made broth. Took them through all the new medical supplies that arrived today. Most I recognised having been through this more than once but distressing to see the supply of "in case it is needed" morphine arrive. Thankfully it isn't at the moment.

Reactions: annabell1

Onlinecaroline

3 eggs boiled and mashed in a cup with butter.

Wafer thin chicken, 2 Babybel and 3 mini satay sticks.

H/m Nando’s butterfly chicken, a mini corn on the cob, coleslaw, halloumi and half an avocado. About 10-11g in total

2 squares of Green and Blacks Raspberry and Hazelnut and a cup of tea.

Slowly, very slowly I’m beginning to get used to not eating all the potatoes.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
@maglil55 thank you hopefully the dentist reshaping my crown yesterday helps as don't want to go down the path of new crown and root canal therapy or loosing my tooth all together. I do hope your grandson starts to feel better soon. @maglil55 and hey I get it sadly I think the world is starting to become a nanny state these days! although we are lucky down under more than some countries but everywhere we go we have to check in using an app, they say it is to help us with contract tracing which I get but it is also bugging a lot of people more each day and conspiracy theorise are becoming more rampant especially since the vaccine has been released around most countries and some deaths from it in Norway and other places I've heard, and same here one day told to get out for walks and have fresh air and to visit parts of Australia then next told stay home wear a mask if you are inside shopping centres etc., and don't go to rural areas or other states. this is just so surreal what is happening to our world although we have had to do this before for other flu/virus epidemics so hopefully one day life will get back to some normality

breakfast yesterday scrambled eggs mixed with cream on toasted sour dough buttered and coffee

managed to get in to see a dentist today for my sore gums/teeth he is hoping it is from my bite from the crown that is causing the pain I am getting so he has re-shaped my crown that I had fitted 6 months ago he also x-rayed and it showed no abscess nor infection so fingers crossed it starts to feel better told to baby it and eat soft food.

Dinner tooth/gum started to hurt again so decided not to eat my leftover pork and lamb chop and opted for FFG yoghurt and some home made plum jam/sauce and took two Panadol and fell asleep for about an hour on the lounge I don't normally do but I think the Panadol is making me sleepy. when I did go to bed my tooth started playing up again so did a gargle of whisky and took my next dose of Panadol and used a heat pack eventually fell asleep at around 2.30ish

got up around 9.30ish and my tooth was niggling a bit BSLwas 7.0 which I think was from yoghurt/plum sauce and my tooth and lack of sleep!

breakfast had some leftover baked beans and some scrambled eggs so reheated them on two slices of sourdough toast with butter perhaps shouldn't have had the toast as it not actually soft food for my tooth and two black coffees but now got the old heartburn which I think is from the tomato sauce in the baked beans.

sorry I think I have done more waffling about my life then what I ate

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
in moderation

@Mrs T 123 I think you hit the nail on the head with that phrase. Not something that comes naturally to me, particularly in relation to food, but in many other ways too.

Cream is also,a culprit here, but far easier to regulate in the absence of chocolate (which raises my heart beat) and nut butter (which makes my lips itch) and they ALL trigger over-eating.

Despite yesterday’s generous food consumption have woken up hungry again. Hasn’t dissipated in the almost 2 hours I’ve been out of bed, so at 6.15am chicken wings coated in chilli oil and salt are in the air fryer!

It’s looking like a long day at work, so the remaining tuna melts are packed up to take with me for later.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had catch up read of last few days - I’ve just been a bit too hectic to record but I am fine and @DJC3 thanks for asking re storm but all flood defences are now all up in Bewdley and so feeling safer....
Stayed lowcarb over past four days I’ve not reported on but ate generally more food with three meals each day as hungry days.
Today
Stuck to black coffee up to lunchtime as a few meetings and kept me going and warmed me up!
Lunch smoked salmon with lemon juice and a few hm lc seed crackers
Dinner hm lc spiced chicken served with avocado salad followed by DGF salted caramel and spoon of 5% Greek yoghurt
Doing my online list for the weekend earlier today and have decided to add some kimchi to experiment with - looks good and feel it may be beneficial it’s 2g of carb per 100g which is recommended portion. Will no doubt feature in my food diary next week will let you know what I think. Busy day tomorrow may try OMAD if not too hungry not done it for ages and good to give the body a few surprises!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spent all morning volunteering in the Dr surgery car park directing the first wave of Covid vaccine patients. It was very cold and extremely windy with horizontal rain. Still a good atmosphere; all the old folk treating it as a day out and my step counter says I did 4.5 miles! This was mostly dancing trying to keep warm. I was trying to teach my volunteer colleague the Tiger Feet dance ( who remembers Mud?) We won’t be invited onto Strictly!

Got home about 3pm cold and hungry and chucked everything I could find into a frying pan - so a sort of chorizo, sprout and cheese omelette. Sounds odd but hit the spot.

Dinner was more restrained. Melting middle burger with bacon, avocado and a couple of cherry toms.

@shelley262 glad you have flood defences ready - it doesn’t seem very long ago since last time you were flooded.
@maglil55 I really like those DD coconut Nan breads too. If I have any left they are great heated up next day with a poached egg on top.
Glad your grandson is eating again, it must be a real worry. Thank goodness you were able to help with your son’s freezer.
@annabell1 glad you got to see a dentist. Hope your tooth/ gum feels better soon.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did online exercise class this morning. The young, fit instructor has just had covid. recovering well but coughed throughout. She's a single mum with 2 kids homeschooling, and only lives 1/4 mile away. First person I actually know to have had it.

Lunch h/m veg soup with one piece lc seedy cheese soda bread 2 sqs 100% choc
I l/c hot choc drink

D: omelette with everything, chorizo, ham, mushrooms, peppers, onion. Handful nuts

Reactions: maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with raspberries (Tesco were out of strawberries on delivery day this week! :wideyed:) and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and DGF cake.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: chicken supreme with green beans and a tiny portion of sweetcorn followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@googmergal
Doesn't appear so. I am starting to wonder if its all sweetners with me
View attachment 46945
Update on the sugar free Werthers.
Definitely cause much rumbling and grumbling and wind in my digestive system, no laxative effect but concerning because the effects start within 30 minutes of eating just one and last for several hours. Only ate one, but have repeated the experiment 3 times now. Same effects. No idea which ingredient it is my body doesn't like but won't be having these any more, which is a shame as have seen them used in recipes for lc caramel sauce and such like

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - small cheese & tomato omlette. Square of h/m peanut butter chocolate brownie washed down with mug of earl grey tea.

Dinner - Chargrilled chicken & avocado salad. More h/m peanut butter brownie warmed up and served with double cream (yum) @shelley262 I used some of the 100% dark chocolate buttons (melted) on top of peanut butter & melted butter and then added crushed walnuts on top of all that and put in fridge. I have to say I preferred MY version of peanut butter brownies rather than DGF so hopefully that will stop me from re-ordering for a while as the rest of the mixed box are delicious and I am just not very keen on their peanut butter ones.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - small cheese & tomato omlette. Square of h/m peanut butter chocolate brownie washed down with mug of earl grey tea.

Dinner - Chargrilled chicken & avocado salad. More h/m peanut butter brownie warmed up and served with double cream (yum) @shelley262 I used some of the 100% dark chocolate buttons (melted) on top of peanut butter & melted butter and then added crushed walnuts on top of all that and put in fridge. I have to say I preferred MY version of peanut butter brownies rather than DGF so hopefully that will stop me from re-ordering for a while as the rest of the mixed box are delicious and I am just not very keen on their peanut butter ones.
Wow love your variation thank you looks like I need to try it out. I’ve got about two weeks worth of cakes left from DGF in my freezer and so may need to order soon so ideas to eake them out are welcome!

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow love your variation thank you looks like I need to try it out. I’ve got about two weeks worth of cakes left from DGF in my freezer and so may need to order soon so ideas to eake them out are welcome!
It certainly made the dark chocolate taste a lot better - thanks for the idea - you got me thinking ...:)

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
We normally put leftovers chilli or Bologna in the peppers and but cheese on top
That sounds very nice. I think variety is key, it's easy to limit your range of low carb meals (especially breakfast). I have lots of t bean and quorn chilli jn the freezer but have recently become intolerant to Quorn. This is a bit of a nuisance. I'll have to do some more batch cooking.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
I ordered more SLC on Tuesday night and it was delivered today - I had decided to pay the extra £2.50 and go with DPD, and next day delivery - what a difference - imo so worth it as no stress of it sitting in Peterborough going mouldy for a week with Royal Mail! and sooo fresh - dates are use by 24/1 - so should keep in the fridge until then - well that's if I still have any left - probably not! Also, bought a bag of the bread mix to make myself - I don't even have a bread tin or bread cutter yet but I will probably try this out in the next couple of weeks. I decided to try it with the Peterborough and mouldygate carry on and then I could have my own fresh bread warm straight from the oven. Anyone used this before - suggestions/tips welcome?
Mrs T 123, this is a very good tip. I have been meaning to try slc bread/ bread rolks. I do miss bread and the convenience of it. I have lots of lc store cupboard ingredients too so might experiment...

Onlinecaroline

The usual breakfast of 3 eggs mashed in a cup with a dollop of butter.

Lunch - 2 mini satay sticks, 2 slice of turkey meat, 2 Babybel and 30g of pate.

Dinner - some sort of beef stew and broccoli I made in the slow cooker. Wouldn’t thicken so had to add some coconut flour which I think might push me carb wise.

A few raspberries with a spoon of clotted cream.