Metformin slow release

Pete1974

Hi all I been on Metformin slow release for over 2 and half years could not take the normal ones was costing to much in toilet rolls,
Now for over 2 years I have had a gut problem foul taste in mouth excess gas both ends and I mean excessive gas, bloated most of the time and when I did open my bowls the whole house could smell it can this be down to metformin sr or are they the super drug my diabetic nurse raves about.
I am also on dapagiflozen 10mg and linglipton as well as heart meds but problem when looking back seems to start with metformin
Thanks for any input if you have had similar problems

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Pete1974 and welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will come along and recount their experiences with metformin.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been taking Metformin SR for 12 years and had no problems until about 2 months ago when I got a horrible taste in my mouth I found that it was after a change in the pharmaceutical company supplying the Met. I asked the pharmacy if it could get me some from a different company and the taste went away after a few days . I wondered if I was imagining it so the next prescription came with the suspected culprit .The same problem came back I understand that all metformin is the same but different fillers may be used
Carol

Sezzle

I have been taking Metformin SR for 12 years and had no problems until about 2 months ago when I got a horrible taste in my mouth I found that it was after a change in the pharmaceutical company supplying the Met. I asked the pharmacy if it could get me some from a different company and the taste went away after a few days . I wondered if I was imagining it so the next prescription came with the suspected culprit .The same problem came back I understand that all metformin is the same but different fillers may be used
Carol
Carol

Sezzle

Carol
Just wondered what brand you found didn’t have the side effects?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am taking Metabet at the moment with no problems but I have had many different brands from different pharmacies over the years and the only one to cause me the problem of a bad taste in my mouth and made me lose my appetite was one from Strides Pharma UK and
Carol

Cath.H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all I been on Metformin slow release for over 2 and half years could not take the normal ones was costing to much in toilet rolls,
Now for over 2 years I have had a gut problem foul taste in mouth excess gas both ends and I mean excessive gas, bloated most of the time and when I did open my bowls the whole house could smell it can this be down to metformin sr or are they the super drug my diabetic nurse raves about.
I am also on dapagiflozen 10mg and linglipton as well as heart meds but problem when looking back seems to start with metformin
Hi Pete. I'm on my first month of 2 x500 Sr. Met. I coped with the 1 x 500". No probs. But not feeling good at all on the double dose. I too am on Dapa. I did have bad dizziness. At beginning. Now getting metallic taste. Headaches more often. Thi King I should call nurse. Or should I give another month try.

Madcow74

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello I have been trying Metformin for a few weeks having been on Dapa for a number of years with Gliclizide I am trying to switch to Metformin MR and come off Gliclizide because of weight.
I am struggling though I tolerate 500mg at night but as soon as I try to increase I feel nauseous and get terrible stomach cramps. I am trying to persevere as I want to lose the weight but not sure how much longer I can go on.

oldsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
(copied from previous query re MetSR)
I was prescribed metformin almost 20 years ago and found my stomach was greatly affected. My doctor changed my prescription to metformin SR and while that helped it did not completely ease the issue. I was then given 20mg Omeprazole to take once daily and this cured the problem. I have continued with this regime since and rarely experience any bad effects. I know we're all different but I hope this can be of help to you.
Also, I started a low-carb diet about 4 years ago after years of being told low-fat was the way to go. Since then I have found my stomach to be in a much better state. Rarely any gas! My wife had always said that if it was an Olympic sport, that I could fart for England. Not any more.

D

Deleted member 464700

I haven't found any of the version do not have an effect on my digestive system, it is just that some are worse than others. I am currently taking Glucient SR which still give wind problems but not as bad as some of the others, by far the worst I have had is Sukkarto, I now refuse to use these and if they turn up I return them

Alew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello. I have been on Glucophage SR Merck for over 2 years. Never had any side effects. As mentioned earlier I think brands of most drugs differ and it is worth asking for a different brand to try.

Lionel12

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Lionel12

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had to abandon Metformin after a couple of months. The stuff made me sicker than a dog and I got very fed up with the daily early morning visit to the bathroom. They gave me different tablets costing €20 a month extra that had zero side effects. As I now inject insulin the problem solved itself for me. Please note Metformin is the cheapest effective diabetes drug - not the best. The cheapest, which is what the NHS and every national health insurance system want.

zionlikealion

zionlikealion

Hi. Know the feeling. After using it for over 5 years. Caused no end of stomach problems. Ended up on 12 Tramadol per day for the pain. Trips to hospital, to find out why i was passing out. Basically after pushing with the doctor he agreed for me to stop taking it. Hay presto the pain stopped after a week. But blood sugars went to 21. I was like that for about a month. I asked to go on Lyxumia daily injections. Within six days sugars no at 9 no Tramadol.

zionlikealion

Hi. Know the feeling. After using it for over 5 years. Caused no end of stomach problems. Ended up on 12 Tramadol per day for the pain. Trips to hospital, to find out why i was passing out. Basically after pushing with the doctor he agreed for me to stop taking it. Hay presto the pain stopped after a week. But blood sugars went to 21. I was like that for about a month. I asked to go on Lyxumia daily injections. Within six days sugars no at 9 no Tramadol.
Metformin is cheep ****.

TracieJ

Carol

I thought it was me !! i have been taking this since 1999 but recently i get a horrible taste, different but horrible, last week it tasted like i had sprayed hairspray in my mouth, what brand was it for you?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine was from Strides pharmacy .My local pharmacist where the GP sends my prescription to made a note and I have had my Metformin from various pharmaceutical companies and have not had the problem since
Carol

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Janumet XR 50/1000 (50mg of Januvia and 1000mg of Metformin) - have used it for ages and have no problems with it.

Thanks for the help re Metaformin side effects, am on SR and find by reading that my symptoms are quite common, no pain, but bloated and once a day (loose stools) BUT today explosive and more frequent and Loss of appetite. Is this a new supplier, will check it out, should I be taking the tablet another time. Been told before food in the morning?????