Type 2 Lower blood sugar but high cholesterol

Spy184

I’ve been on a low carb eating plan for a year. It has brought the type 2 diabetes into remission but now my cholesterol levels (previously normal) are way too high. I was losing too much weight so did try to eat more healthy fats so as not to lose more weight. The doctor has advised a low fat diet to bring my levels down!! What do I do? There are low fat options for foods, for example, yoghurt, which are no more carbs than full fat. As long as I stick to low carbs can I replace full fat with low fat?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Can you share your cholesterol results?

I honestly wouldn't do a low fat diet or you will likely lose more weight. And replacing good fats with carbs is not a good idea either. If you stopped losing weight while eating fats, including saturated fats from animal products then that is your best diet approach. Doctors know next to nothing about diet.

Reactions: Spy184

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I agree it would help us to help you if you could share your full cholesterol results (HDL, LDL, and triglycerides)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been on a low carb eating plan for a year. It has brought the type 2 diabetes into remission but now my cholesterol levels (previously normal) are way too high. I was losing too much weight so did try to eat more healthy fats so as not to lose more weight. The doctor has advised a low fat diet to bring my levels down!! What do I do? There are low fat options for foods, for example, yoghurt, which are no more carbs than full fat. As long as I stick to low carbs cSan I replace full fat with low fat?

Hi @Spy184,

We often experience higher cholesterol levels when we are losing weight. Possibly you could ask to get another cholesterol test after your weight has been stable for three months.

Also, there I've a study just a couple of days ago (unfortunately I can't find it right now though I have spent about 15 minutes looking for it) that diabetes is a more significant risk factor (it elevates risks about 2 to 3 times) for heart disease compared to higher cholesterol levels (risk factor is considerably less than 2). So, personally if I had to choose between higher blood sugar and higher cholesterol -- I would definitely choose to lower blood sugar. Just my take on this, though.

Spy184

I wasn’t told HDL and LDL - only the overall total which was 9. I’ll ask when I see the doctor again. My weight has been pretty stable for a few months now since I started eating more fats.

Spy184

Hi @Spy184,

We often experience higher cholesterol levels when we are losing weight. Possibly you could ask to get another cholesterol test after your weight has been stable for three months.

Also, there I've a study just a couple of days ago (unfortunately I can't find it right now though I have spent about 15 minutes looking for it) that diabetes is a more significant risk factor (it elevates risks about 2 to 3 times) for heart disease compared to higher cholesterol levels (risk factor is considerably less than 2). So, personally if I had to choose between higher blood sugar and higher cholesterol -- I would definitely choose to lower blood sugar. Just my take on this, though.

Spy184

Hi @Spy184,

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn’t told HDL and LDL - only the overall total which was 9. I’ll ask when I see the doctor again. My weight has been pretty stable for a few months now since I started eating more fats.

Another option might be to switch to olive oil and avocado oil rather than butter, cheese and cream.

Did you fast for your cholesterol test?

You might also have a look at Dave Feldman's website and lean mass hyper responders:https://cholesterolcode.com/lmhr/

Reactions: Spy184

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Are you in England? If so your test results are most likely on line but you have to register for this at your surgery. In the UK you are entitle to paper print outs of all your test results. You can phone the surgery and ask for this. No need to wait until you see your doctor again.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The total value is of little use. You must look at the various ratios; also wait until things settle. My advice would be to not go for low-fat products. Fat is good for us and doesn't make you fat or raise BS. Get yourself onto your surgeries online system including test results. If the various HDL, LDL ratios are not there ask for a full lipids panel at the next blood test

Reactions: rilakkuma02

rilakkuma02

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Are you in England? If so your test results are most likely on line but you have to register for this at your surgery. In the UK you are entitle to paper print outs of all your test results. You can phone the surgery and ask for this. No need to wait until you see your doctor again.
I am always curious why my GP gave me some results with number only when I asked. But sounds a good idea to ask for a copy because I have no idea what my HDL and LDL, only was told 'elevated' or overall number. ugh...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am always curious why my GP gave me some results with number only when I asked. But sounds a good idea to ask for a copy because I have no idea what my HDL and LDL, only was told 'elevated' or overall number. ugh...

You don't get unless you ask! In my experience doctors tend to filter out any information they think we won't understand or don't need to know. I learned several years ago never to accept what is said verbally but to ask for written reports, lab test results, and so forth. I believe it is important for all of us to take charge of our own health, and to do this we need to know exactly what is wrong with us and where we are starting from.

Reactions: rilakkuma02