Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

AlfonsoJones

I figure it’s a money thing. I said in another post it’s around £9 for 50 strips which works out to around £250/year if testing 4x/day. If you estimated that all diabetics in the UK were given money to test 2x/day it would cost the nhs 650million/year.

DaisyDuke 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish arrogant people.
I figure it’s a money thing. I said in another post it’s around £9 for 50 strips which works out to around £250/year if testing 4x/day. If you estimated that all diabetics in the UK were given money to test 2x/day it would cost the nhs 650million/year.

I understand, but how much does it cost for an operation to amputate limes or a hospital stay for other complications.

Meds to keep sugars under control. The NHS spends millions/billions on other meds for different conditions!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But after a few months of testing several times a day to see what certain foods do, then maintenence testing can come down to one strip a day with the occasional one or 2 when trying new foods. I only use about 40 per month, down from 210 a month when first diagnosed. The immediate feedback they give me is invaluable. I too am overdue for an hba1c, I could have been doing serious damage to myself in that time and wouldn't have known

Reactions: ziggy_w

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.
In 2018 after three HBNC1a tests over 9 months that within a good range i was told not to test anymore, I had.ran out of test strips and the nurse would not renew my prescription.
3 months later I began to feel really unwell and felt is was to do with my levels with no way of testing i rang my surgery where the doctor said he would send a prescription to the chemist for me, I had to wait three days for the chemist to fill it for me by which time I was feeling really unwell. When I finally managed to test.my bloods the reading was in the mid 20's and after 24hr's of testing i went to GP who tested my urine and said I was in keoto sis I ended up in hospital for three days and when I was discharged i was asked if I wanted to be discharged but in to the care of my surgery or community diabetic nurse.
I chose the community nurse and have never looked back

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

late to this @AlfonsoJones

sort of agree it IS a numbers game
cost per year, most likely trumps cost per decade.

as pointed out by one or two, doesn't that testing itself save money over time.

with the expected rise in T2D, more and more WILL be on that slippery slope to more meds, more needs and more hospital appointments
all i suspect at a higher cost overall.

and this is if you don't include the benefits those of us with T2D have found from going low carb.
which i'd suggest is THE most cost effective measure to reduce the impact of T2D to individuals
(and how do we monitor what effect that has without a meter ? )
GP Dr Unwin save fortunes at his surgery with Low carb treatment early doors.

My asthma has improved dramatically, fewer meds, fewer surgery/hospital visits if it's similar for other asthmatics with T2D.
i see other say their other ailments ease, arthritis was one. Less inflammation i suspect is helpful;

add in the costs to society of sick days / meds / impairment / social care and hospital treatments all mount up.

And that's not even considering the impact covid has with obesity and diabetes being some of the markers for increased risk.

Not trying to argue, more like offering a differing viewpoint.

you do make good sense, pretty sure it is the way the admins at surgeries etc think.
but sensible in the long run.....naw.

me ..?
i take care of me as best i can
so i test..

Proof of that pudding is in my scores, led by my testing

i firmly believe i save the NHS some money, time + bed space, by doing that
One benefit is that others who need help more, have a better chance of getting it,
without me clogging up the system

and i personally get to live the best healthy life i can...:)

each to their own.

Tilley L

late to this @AlfonsoJones

sort of agree it IS a numbers game
cost per year, most likely trumps cost per decade.

as pointed out by one or two, doesn't that testing itself save money over time.

with the expected rise in T2D, more and more WILL be on that slippery slope to more meds, more needs and more hospital appointments
all i suspect at a higher cost overall.

and this is if you don't include the benefits those of us with T2D have found from going low carb.
which i'd suggest is THE most cost effective measure to reduce the impact of T2D to individuals
(and how do we monitor what effect that has without a meter ? )
GP Dr Unwin save fortunes at his surgery with Low carb treatment early doors.

My asthma has improved dramatically, fewer meds, fewer surgery/hospital visits if it's similar for other asthmatics with T2D.
i see other say their other ailments ease, arthritis was one. Less inflammation i suspect is helpful;

add in the costs to society of sick days / meds / impairment / social care and hospital treatments all mount up.

And that's not even considering the impact covid has with obesity and diabetes being some of the markers for increased risk.

Not trying to argue, more like offering a differing viewpoint.

you do make good sense, pretty sure it is the way the admins at surgeries etc think.
but sensible in the long run.....naw.

me ..?
i take care of me as best i can
so i test..

Proof of that pudding is in my scores, led by my testing

i firmly believe i save the NHS some money, time + bed space, by doing that
One benefit is that others who need help more, have a better chance of getting it,
without me clogging up the system

and i personally get to live the best healthy life i can...:)

each to their own.
I too was told not to test any more Now after 12 months of lockdown has sent me on the wrong path and I haven't had a test now for almost 2 years My father in law has just loaned me his spare test kit as I have been feeling rough fasting result was 11.5 this morning not good

chrianne50

I was diagnosed with type 2 3 years ago. I was told then it wasn’t necessary for me to test my blood sugars, so I wasn’t given the equipment needed. I therefore have no idea what my levels are.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with type 2 3 years ago. I was told then it wasn’t necessary for me to test my blood sugars, so I wasn’t given the equipment needed. I therefore have no idea what my levels are.
Unfortunately you are not alone - when I told my DN that I was testing I was told there was no need and it would only make my fingers sore to which I replied that I would rather have sore fingers than no fingers or go blind. Most T2s, like me, self fund and IMHO it is the most important piece of kit in my armoury to stop my T2 progressing. It’s a shame the NHS does not provide them as, in the long run, it would be more cost effective than having to pay for meds and operations as patients progressively get worse.

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.
I too was told to stop testing and ran out of strips 2 months later over a weekend felt really bad got on to GP and managed to get more strips upon testing i found my bloods were in the 20's this went on for a few days and I ended up in hospital because of it never been told never again and later went on diagnosed withLADA.and now on insulin slow and meal times

kimlala

I too was told to stop testing and ran out of strips 2 months later over a weekend felt really bad got on to GP and managed to get more strips upon testing i found my bloods were in the 20's this went on for a few days and I ended up in hospital because of it never been told never again and later went on diagnosed withLADA.and now on insulin slow and meal times
Hi all, yes, I was told at the beginning of my diabetic adventures (Type 1/LADA) some 5 yrs ago that I could only test 4 times a day. Of course this was through our horrible insurance in U.S. even though we paid dearly for it. I was able to find testing-strips at Walmart really cheap, I don't know if you have access to anything like that. I test 15-20 times a day, and have been for the last 5 yrs. How else can I figure what or why bs go up. Food, hormones, weather, ect. My last several tests my a1c's have all been between 4.7-4.9. Drives endocrinologist crazy, but I'll keep doing what works. Test all the times, do not listen to anyone that tells you different, it is your body and only you can check it. Best of luck.

Reactions: jjraak

PurpleHippo

It seems bonkers to me that diabetics can get free prescriptions but not testing equipment to monitor our levels and manage the condition effectively. When I was pregnant with my youngest, 13 years ago, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes about 2 weeks before my due date. They still gave me a glucometer and test strips, despite them also telling me that they were going to induce me within the following few days ‍♀️

Feels like it’s politically motivated, rather than clinically driven, to me…

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I am often told not to test but am able sometimes to get a prescription for the strips. These days they are not too much more on Amazon so I mostly buy them there. Recently I mentioned to the nurse that my fasting blood glucose had been gradually rising and she said "Well don't test it then, that will solve the problem!" I was unable to find an answer to that level of stupidity

PurpleHippo

Yes, I am often told not to test but am able sometimes to get a prescription for the strips. These days they are not too much more on Amazon so I mostly buy them there. Recently I mentioned to the nurse that my fasting blood glucose had been gradually rising and she said "Well don't test it then, that will solve the problem!" I was unable to find an answer to that level of stupidity

Good grief!

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been told not to test and not allowed a meter or strips. I buy my own but then the DN wanted to know my readings. Told her to jog on!

Sandy-55

That’s probably why my diabetic nurse never offered one in the first few meetings I only got a magazine all about diabetes on the 2nd meeting , I thought I would have had that on the 1st so I’m not holding my hope of getting one When I go for the MOT but I will ask

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Every time I go to see my NP, the first thing she wants to see is my readings. I use mySugr and print out my log every week. I also save the PDF that I print it from.

I'm just appalled by the way the GP's and the DSN's treat most of the type 2's over there in England.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Every time I go to see my NP, the first thing she wants to see is my readings. I use mySugr and print out my log every week. I also save the PDF that I print it from.

I'm just appalled by the way the GP's and the DSN's treat most of the type 2's over there in England.
According to your signature you're on insulin, is that still correct?
All T2's on insulin in England are encouraged to test, and they'll get their test strips funded. If they are driving they are obliged to test or they can't drive.

The people who are told not to test are the people who aren't on medication which can cause hypos, not the ones on insulin.

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
According to your signature you're on insulin, is that still correct?
All T2's on insulin in England are encouraged to test, and they'll get their test strips funded. If they are driving they are obliged to test or they can't drive.

The people who are told not to test are the people who aren't on medication which can cause hypos, not the ones on insulin.

Yes, I am still on premix, until my next prescription comes in from the drug companies. Then I will switch from a premix to basal/bolus.

Still, the T2's here are encouraged to test, although insurance only provides 1 strip a day for T2's not on insulin. I'm going through this battle with my Mom as she has just been switched from metformim to glimepiride and Medicare is giving her a hard time because she's not on insulin and therefore they say she is only entitled to "1 strip a day" on insurance.