Double cream

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I always thought cream was carb free. Because of this I hadn’t really been checking but I did tonight and the double cream I got form marks and Spencer’s last week says it is 2.6g of carbs per 100ml. Which I’m quite disappointed about. My keto soup isn’t all that keto I don’t think.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I always thought cream was carb free. Because of this I hadn’t really been checking but I did tonight and the double cream I got form marks and Spencer’s last week says it is 2.6g of carbs per 100ml. Which I’m quite disappointed about. My keto soup isn’t all that keto I don’t think.
How much double cream goes into your soup per portion? Why wouldn't it be keto? Keto isn't zero carbs, as far as I understand most people go into ketosis at anywhere between 20 and 50 grams of carbs a day.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
How much double cream goes into your soup per portion? Why wouldn't it be keto? Keto isn't zero carbs, as far as I understand most people go into ketosis at anywhere between 20 and 50 grams of carbs a day.
I’m probably putting about 400ml in for whole thing then get 3 or 4 portions
I figured it was almost no carbs. The soup that is. I know keto isn’t zero but I’ve been trying to really hard to really drop the carbs while I’m not working so just a tad disappointed it’s not as good as I thought. I really thought cream was zero carbs

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh don’t give up on the cream, it’s so delicious and satisfying. So what if you eat 2 or 3 carbs in your soup, as long as your BG doesn’t spike, and remember that you have to consider carbs as a daily total, what else would you eat in a day?

You could either save the soup for a day when you only eat one or two meals, or halve the amount of cream in the soup. It would probably taste almost as good with less cream. Yeah! Then there’d be some left for pud!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

and there's a goodly dose of fats in it, which is the good thing.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Different brands of should cream seem to have different fats and carbs ratios - maybe try the M&S extra thick one - more fat fewer carbs.

But I agree with @Antje77, ketogenic diets can be up to around 50g carbs a day, and anything containing so few carbs isn't going to be the death of you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
400 ml?
I use a tablespoonful per serving, though it is the extra thick. I add it when whizzing some of the veges to make it thicker.
I thought that I was pushing it with it being a fairly heaped measure.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
400 ml?
I use a tablespoonful per serving, though it is the extra thick. I add it when whizzing some of the veges to make it thicker.
I thought that I was pushing it with it being a fairly heaped measure.
I'm not sure that I'd even be adding a heaped tablespoonful per portion - for me there can definitely be too much of a good thing, particularly with higher fat stuff if I don't want to end up regaining any weight...

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember when I first checked the carbs in double cream also and having a similar feeling.

For me there are 2 considerations- the first and primary are my blood sugar levels- well they don't seem particularly effected by double cream so that is good. The second (for me) is weight loss. Unfortunately the cream does effect that but not as badly as I thought it would so while a little disappointing that's okay. I have cream every day in coffee and usually with either diet jelly or peanut butter after dinner. I also eat cheese every day. My weight loss has stalled a bit but my blood sugar levels are good. I'm not thrilled about the weight loss stalling but trying to comfort myself with the fact that this gives my skin time to shrink a bit so less saggy- probably not true but as long as that helps me I'll continue the lie.

My current plan is to focus more on my weight in a few weeks- my work is particularly stressful art the moment so I just can't focus on weight loss now.

I also have a second meter that checks ketones- your post has inspired me to dig it out and check my ketones- so thank you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure that I'd even be adding a heaped tablespoonful per portion - for me there can definitely be too much of a good thing, particularly with higher fat stuff if I don't want to end up regaining any weight...
I find that keeping to the same levels of fat intake as has become normal for me has helped be to maintain my weight - low fat seems to trigger weightgain.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that keeping to the same levels of fat intake as has become normal for me has helped be to maintain my weight - low fat seems to trigger weightgain.
To clarify, I don't mean switching to low fat - just cut down on the amount of the good stuff I consume and use up a bit of stored/body fat instead....