20 years diabetic

I've recently had my health take a nose dive.im 38 and have had diabetes for 22 years . My eyes have signs of diabetic maculopathy . My blood pressure has sharply risen and I'm on 2 medications for it. I have digestive issues and take anti acids for it. I never tested my blood sugars until recently so I'm lucky I'm alive to be honest, I must say this is my fault . I was a drunk and addict in someway. I think what I would like to know is after 20 years of diabetes where else are peoples health . Am a usual case for health problems and what are other long term type 1s experience after this long of the illness. I'm really trying to take ahold now but I fear its a bit late .

Wanderer89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, been type 1 for 15 years & been up and down with it depending on what’s going on in my life. Had no problems at all really until recently showing the signs of maculpathy but not sure what to expect next really. Just trying to keep on top of it that’s all we can do.

Last edited:

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve been diabetic for 40 years ,and I was the diabetic who didn’t test sugars I drank , smoked to excess and didn’t really act as if I had diabetes , after 30 years of abuse it caught up with me I had a heart attack at 49 had a stent fitted then in 2013 I lost my right leg below the knee , I then had a choice , screw he nut or die basically. So I screwed the nut , and now I’m fit and healthy I take my blood sugars , I don’t live like a monk but I respect what I have , let me say there is hope even if you have abused your body , but it takes change and effort but it’s well worth it I can assure you .

Reactions: Sad21+ and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
A lot of diabetic complications can be stalled or even reversed by improving your bg control. Many of us long term T1s have had long periods or poor control (I did no blood testing in my teens, as it was preglucometer, and I know I was running sky high). It's never too late to improve your control (unless you're dead). 50 years of T1 experience here.

Reactions: Sad21+

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I was diagnosed 2003. Diagnosed at various times as type 2, type 1, genetic type (unknown), type LADA and severe insulin resistance.
Conditions directly due to diabetes:
Double vision
Maculopathy
Gastroparesis
Recurrent Vomiting Syndrome

Conditions contributed to by diabetes:
PCOS
obesity
Polycystic kidneys
Fatty liver
Hyperparathyroidism
Glaucoma

Over this time my bg has varied from good to abysmal, roughly corresponding to my mental health varying from 'we can do this' to 'stuff this for a game of soldiers' and 'I don't wanna be diabetic'.

The good thing is every time I come out of depression it doesn't take long to get my blood glucose down, and I can stand back and say at least I'm not doing any more damage. Did you know some psychiatrists take refusal to monitor your bg as a type of self-harm particular to diabetics?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I'm a type 2 so no good at all for advice. I just wanted to say it is never too late (well almost never) to make decisions to improve your future. As you can see there are others who have been in your boat. I hope you find this site helpful and don't feel that you are doing it alone.

I try not to judge other sand I think you need to stop judging yourself. You can only do so much at a time- I hope that at this time you an make decisions to improve your physical health. I know that here you can find others who really do understand what you have gone through and there are so many on here I'm sure if you ask for support and advice you will find it.

Take care of yourself and be as kind to yourself as you would to anyone else who posted here.

Reactions: Sad21+

barbarapreston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Large dogs, loud music and bad language
Hi I've been type 1 for 67 years since the age of 10.Apart from having cataracts treated 5 years ago,and taking statins ,aspirin,and blood pressure tablets I have no other complications.

Diabetes treatment now is very different to when I was diagnosed..One injection a day and black and red lines for the food .I saw the consultant every week for years. I haven't seen a consultant for probably 10 years now.
I drink more alcohol now than I ever did but I do test my blood sugar at least four times a day .
I'm sorry I can't be much help but it's never too late to make changes.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's never too late to change and especially if it is for better health - you have taken the 1st steps in recognising you need to change for the better (well done you!) and as the saying goes better late than never and at 38 you still have a lot of years left to live - not exist - go on do it - you know you want do! I wish you well in your new journey to better health and just think how much better you will feel in a month, a year .... from now. Good luck and best wishes for the future.