What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Hello yesterday another lazy day a few hours after breaky started feeling funny weak sort of although my BSL was 6 so needed to lay down for a bit which helped

Lunch had some babaghanish cos lettuce cheese radish and a few jatz biscuits with coffee

Dinner the thought of eating was making me queasy but decided to try eating the leftover lamb cutlet and pork belly was able to eat the cutlets and few slices of pork then started to feel queasy so stopped eating.

About 10ish was craving something sour so had a unripe plum which satisfied my need for some sourness

Breakfast today cooked ham and scrambled eggs on sourdough toast buttered with black coffee.

A/T
1/2 home-made banana muffin defrosted with some home-made plum preserved and black coffee
My tooth / gum is starting to feel lot better its still hurting niggling but not like it has been thank goodness

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
Spent all morning volunteering in the Dr surgery car park directing the first wave of Covid vaccine patients. It was very cold and extremely windy with horizontal rain. Still a good atmosphere; all the old folk treating it as a day out and my step counter says I did 4.5 miles! This was mostly dancing trying to keep warm. I was trying to teach my volunteer colleague the Tiger Feet dance ( who remembers Mud?) We won’t be invited onto Strictly!

Got home about 3pm cold and hungry and chucked everything I could find into a frying pan - so a sort of chorizo, sprout and cheese omelette. Sounds odd but hit the spot.

Dinner was more restrained. Melting middle burger with bacon, avocado and a couple of cherry toms.

@shelley262 glad you have flood defences ready - it doesn’t seem very long ago since last time you were flooded.
@maglil55 I really like those DD coconut Nan breads too. If I have any left they are great heated up next day with a poached egg on top.
Glad your grandson is eating again, it must be a real worry. Thank goodness you were able to help with your son’s freezer.
@annabell1 glad you got to see a dentist. Hope your tooth/ gum feels better soon.
Thank you

You sound very busy with volunteering great idea dancing to keeping yourself warm also.

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All
Yesterday was an odd day, slept terribly, high FBG so needed to. E careful with food which I usually am anyway.
Brekkie was usual slice HiLo toast, lots of tea.
Lunch was a can of skinless & boneless salmon shared with the cats, mine loosened with a touch of mayo. More tea.
Evening tiny lamb steak found in the recesses of the freezer panfried with a chopped tomato and a handful of mushrooms, Mr PM had a Pieminster pie, lucky him, smelt lovely.
Today is Fish Finger Firsday with beoccoli.
Better sleep, better FBG, usual brekkie.
Lunch will be scrambled eggs.
@maglil55 it never rains but it pours re son’s appliance breakdowns, apart from the inconvenience Jan is not a good month for that sort of expense. Glad GS is eating, good job. @DJC3 good coffee and cheese essential on volunteering days orcany days methinks! @Goonergal kudos for giving up chocolate and nut butter, the latter would be harder for me.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch of cheese and ham omelette.
Dinner mince with fries eggs and cheese on top a la @Goonergal I added some chilli powder to the mince as well.
Nearly a zero carb day but I’ve just gone and spoiled it by having a DGF raspberry bakewell.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya all
@DJC3 gave you a winner for even contemplating a zero carb day! The only way I’ve ever done that is when I’ve fasted for the whole day but when eating I feel a need to include dairy and lc veggies, lc hm stuff etc - I like variety and different tastes and textures ! I aim to limit to around 20g daily with careful planning but fasting for full days and or zero carb would be very difficult for me now.
I fasted today until teatime - not done this in a while and found myself hungry so drank lots of hot black coffee to keep me warm and feeling a bit fuller. When starting out keto more than three years ago I did a whole month of OMAD to kick start and some slightly longer fasts and look back in awe BUT I was obese then so think I was living on my own body fat! Now I’m normal weight think there is less body fat in reserve and especially when feeling cold!
dinner two lamb chops served with cheese stuffed mushrooms and yoghurt with mint and pepper followed by DGF gingerbread with extra thick cream. Also a treat of decaff coffee with glug of cream! I still find black coffee a challenge but ploughing on with it during the day to make my intermittent fasting more effective.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update on the sugar free Werthers.
Definitely cause much rumbling and grumbling and wind in my digestive system, no laxative effect but concerning because the effects start within 30 minutes of eating just one and last for several hours. Only ate one, but have repeated the experiment 3 times now. Same effects. No idea which ingredient it is my body doesn't like but won't be having these any more, which is a shame as have seen them used in recipes for lc caramel sauce and such like
LC Caramel Sauce. site has good sauces and his caramel sauce is an absolute dawdle to make. Trick is to melt it slowly and under no circumstances let it boil. It keeps for quite a while in the fridge and, as he says, a quick microwave blast gets it liquid again.

betterthanbreadketo.com/keto-caramel-sauce/

Reactions: annabell1 and MrsA2

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday (I did do Tuesday I think) bed 7.8 FBG 6.5. I'm not sleeping well and I am tired but my mind is racing. Got up to brother's to visit with shopping yesterday and he's much the same. Stayed quite a while as SIL was struggling. Niece arrived today (Wednesday) from Australia so she can't leave her Mum & Dad's for 10 days. It will help though.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC with haslet and a kind of Polish veggie salad thing.
L. Another SLC sandwich with roast beef, mustard and tomato.
D. Didn't feel that hungry so had some of hubby's soup he'd just finished making.

Had to then get the soup cooled and packed up ready for distribution tomorrow. Home Schooling was pretty good too.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and DGF cake.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: cheese, cherry tomato and mushroom omelette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.8 FBG 6.6 - GS was a bit of a grouch today. Even the snow lying outside didn't cheer him. Despite his mood we still cleared a lot of work. @DJC3 - I can't get Tiger Feet out of my head now. You'd like our house currently. Hubby has been busy on and off converting his many, many LPs to CD so there has been a lot of very old records playing. Glad your vaccine progress is ongoing. I can't say the same up here. Like it or not, we are definitely lagging behind and every measure confirms it.
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with Dairylea.
L. Nothing but a quick coffee after taking GS home and before heading up to brother's.
D. 2 of my Mexican rissole thingies and on of my new Iceland finds - the cauliflower/broccoli thing that's a bit like a souffle. 2 bits of Godiva.

Busy time at brother's. Hospice staff were in as respite in care isn't really an option as no one could visit due to restrictions. At least they are going to come in daily to assess any at home needs plus they've upped the care visits. Good to know they don't 5hink that currently there are additional needs. Did all my soup deliveries to brother's and the fridge less household along the road. Had a long "socially distanced" chat with niece as well to sort out some practical issues while they are stuck indoors.

Just relaxing now, feet up, before I start planning tomorrow's 1/2 day lessons.

Oh, and I won a cordless leaf blower for the garden plus safety goggles in a competition. It just arrived. I've told younger GS to work the arm on his Lucky Asian Cat a bit harder!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the recipe @maglil55

Skipped breakfast beofre doing a zoom exercise class, so about 11 :30 grabbed 2 chunks of cheese and a frozen lc scone before an hour and half walk with a friend

3pm 2 pieces of my cauliflower cheese thingy that I keep frozen. It is proving to be quite versatile

6pm 2 97% heck sausages with plenty of buttered cabbage. Threw in a few poppy seeds and a very few fennel seeds just to jazz it up a bit. One more lc scone. The recipe made 12 but at this rate I'll have eaten them in less than a week.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs T 123, this is a very good tip. I have been meaning to try slc bread/ bread rolks. I do miss bread and the convenience of it. I have lots of lc store cupboard ingredients too so might experiment...
Yes I really missed my bread too - the slc is sooo handy, quick & convenient :happy:

Onlinecaroline

Breakfast: usual 3 eggs mashed in a cup with big dollop of butter

Lunch: 2 slice of turkey, spoon of pate and some smoked cheese.

Dinner: Stir fry with broccoli, bean sprouts, half a pepper and tiny amount of carrot. Homemade sauce - about 10/11g in total.

2 squares of Green and Blacks Mint chocolate and a cuppa.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Thanks for the recipe @maglil55

Skipped breakfast beofre doing a zoom exercise class, so about 11 :30 grabbed 2 chunks of cheese and a frozen lc scone before an hour and half walk with a friend

3pm 2 pieces of my cauliflower cheese thingy that I keep frozen. It is proving to be quite versatile

6pm 2 97% heck sausages with plenty of buttered cabbage. Threw in a few poppy seeds and a very few fennel seeds just to jazz it up a bit. One more lc scone. The recipe made 12 but at this rate I'll have eaten them in less than a week.

Mrs A2, the scones must be good ! I must do some baking. I also like the sound of your cabbage.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slc bread on roasted cheese. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - Large mushroom & onion omlette. SF jelly & last of double cream.

@shelley262 - so bread tin arrives in HUGE box - omg bread tin (lb size) is sooo tiny - it was advertised as a hovis style so I just assumed it would not be huge but size of small hovis loaf - wrong - my own fault I should have paid more attention to the measurements - if they were even given. Might/not use it for bread - is 1lb size usually so small - what do you think? I am thinking I need to get the 2lb size now - and might use the llb tin for one of my individual lasagnas when I make them - using cheese (great idea) instead of pasta of course - I am on a mission!

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
some unplanned culinary surprises today..

B: yoghurt, berries, flaked almonds
L: I opened what I thought was tinned mackerel in oil for my son (he loves it) but instead it was sardines in tomato sauce. I are it reluctantly and actually really enjoyed it, next some leftover h/m cheese coleslaw.
D: stir fry with tofu. Spiced up with chilli oil.
Snacks etc: pork scratchings and red wine.

A god day.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
correction: a good day.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
some unplanned culinary surprises today..

B: yoghurt, berries, flaked almonds
L: I opened what I thought was tinned mackerel in oil for my son (he loves it) but instead it was sardines in tomato sauce. I are it reluctantly and actually really enjoyed it, next some leftover h/m cheese coleslaw.
D: stir fry with tofu. Spiced up with chilli oil.
Snacks etc: pork scratchings and red wine.

A god day.
Unplanned ones are always the best.

Reactions: Bex72

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm used to skipping breakfast, especially if I have a morning exercise class, which I did today so all well and good heading towards lunchtime when Asda informed my that the afternoon delivery wouldn't have any meat, milk or cream, and they were not substituting anything! Well I can't believe they had no sausages, lamb or chicken or milk, but you can't argue with a text message so hubby and I dived into the car and headed for Lidl.

But I had forgotten I was really hungry and it was so difficult not to just grab everything in sight. I sent hubby off to choose something for his and boys lunch - another mistake as he came back with quiche and pizzas!!
Any how, we got it all home and I finally ate too many cheese and ham roll ups at about 2 pm.
When Asda lady arrived she said their systems had been down for a while, whether that was true or not I don't know but they haven't let me down like that before since the first lockdown. We certainly couldn't have survived on cat food, sprouts and eggs!

Tonight's dinner is going to a new one of lasagne but replacing the pasta with cabbage leaves and sliced cheese, and a large glass of something

Reactions: maglil55