What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning..
Swipey free and back on track for a day of clipping up radio segments. Cave Dweller has barely spaketh a word, indeed I have barely seen him since asking him firmly to pull his weight a little with the cleaning. He might be a moody muppet but... he has put his pile of recycling out and the surfaces, sink etc and even his toilet have looked a little cleaner this week so maybe being shamed into cleaning up has hit home but he is prone to having a bit of a sulk.

Anyway he is moping around in the house at the moment and I don't know if he is going into work late or not but I have to get a load of stuff done so too bad.

Actually he need not cross me today - sleepless night after what is proving to be a ridinkidonkly expensive month. Managing agent for late mum's bungalow rang with the bad news that the utility room roof needs to be taken off and fixed after much leaking due to torrential rain, and also that the tenants need a secure lock on the outer patio door. Car now needs a service and trying to get Mini dealership across town to take any notice is too much effort, so in a bid to support local, I am taking it in to the local garage that replaced the battery, especially as now I know that the Mini dealership delivers Mini parts to them for services! Saves me £30 in user fees getting back and going to pick up the car again!

Then to cap all THAT off... a tennis friend messaged me chastising me for not having been in contact with Depressed Friend. After several deleted attempts at replying... in the end I thanked her for bringing it to my attention, admitted that I had not reached out since after Christmas but pointed out I had told DF that I was going to try and focus on my portfolio before the Aussie swing (re)starts at the end of the month, so it should hardly have been a shock to her that I had gone to ground.

I also pointed out I haven't slept a proper night of sleep in months, worrying for how I am going to be able to afford to live but said I also told DF that I was sorry I had not been there for her as much as previous years since lockdown. Also pointed out for good measure that I wake up in arthritic pain EVERY day but toil away regardless. I got a trite message back apologising for not realising what was going on. Annoying to have to do that but also annoyed as heck that DF is now slating me to other chums from our tennis group. Either way, not in a hurry to reach out until after mid-Feb, when I will be hopefully up to date with the portfolio, and full steam ahead on trying to track down a part time admin role somewhere.

Only good thing this week was finally getting the courage to have a video call with a guy I met on an over 50s dating site. He didn't seem totally repulsed by my being in work-at-home gear and hopefully another chat on Sunday.

Oh and I bought a putting practice gadget so going to liberate the putter from the bomb shelter!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning..
Swipey free and back on track for a day of clipping up radio segments. Cave Dweller has barely spaketh a word, indeed I have barely seen him since asking him firmly to pull his weight a little with the cleaning. He might be a moody muppet but... he has put his pile of recycling out and the surfaces, sink etc and even his toilet have looked a little cleaner this week so maybe being shamed into cleaning up has hit home but he is prone to having a bit of a sulk.

Anyway he is moping around in the house at the moment and I don't know if he is going into work late or not but I have to get a load of stuff done so too bad.

Actually he need not cross me today - sleepless night after what is proving to be a ridinkidonkly expensive month. Managing agent for late mum's bungalow rang with the bad news that the utility room roof needs to be taken off and fixed after much leaking due to torrential rain, and also that the tenants need a secure lock on the outer patio door. Car now needs a service and trying to get Mini dealership across town to take any notice is too much effort, so in a bid to support local, I am taking it in to the local garage that replaced the battery, especially as now I know that the Mini dealership delivers Mini parts to them for services! Saves me £30 in user fees getting back and going to pick up the car again!

Then to cap all THAT off... a tennis friend messaged me chastising me for not having been in contact with Depressed Friend. After several deleted attempts at replying... in the end I thanked her for bringing it to my attention, admitted that I had not reached out since after Christmas but pointed out I had told DF that I was going to try and focus on my portfolio before the Aussie swing (re)starts at the end of the month, so it should hardly have been a shock to her that I had gone to ground.

I also pointed out I haven't slept a proper night of sleep in months, worrying for how I am going to be able to afford to live but said I also told DF that I was sorry I had not been there for her as much as previous years since lockdown. Also pointed out for good measure that I wake up in arthritic pain EVERY day but toil away regardless. I got a trite message back apologising for not realising what was going on. Annoying to have to do that but also annoyed as heck that DF is now slating me to other chums from our tennis group. Either way, not in a hurry to reach out until after mid-Feb, when I will be hopefully up to date with the portfolio, and full steam ahead on trying to track down a part time admin role somewhere.

Only good thing this week was finally getting the courage to have a video call with a guy I met on an over 50s dating site. He didn't seem totally repulsed by my being in work-at-home gear and hopefully another chat on Sunday.

Oh and I bought a putting practice gadget so going to liberate the putter from the bomb shelter!
I hope the putting and Sunday's chat prove to be just the things to help you through a tough month/time which is why I gave optimistic not hug. Your issues predate January but there seems to be an undercurrent of Pilot on here - (lyrics.) Massive respect for you and your fighting spirit.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope the putting and Sunday's chat prove to be just the things to help you through a tough month/time which is why I gave optimistic not hug. Your issues predate January but there seems to be an undercurrent of Pilot on here - (lyrics.) Massive respect for you and your fighting spirit.
oh my GOD that is such a blast from the past!!! heheheh!
Thanks @ianpspurs that cheered me up.

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good morning. A bright, sunny but cold day. A good day to wrap up warm and go for a walk. Awake early after a disturbed night, over-hot and very thirsty. fbs was 9.0. This seems to be my new norm.:rolleyes: Enjoy your Friday and the week-end folks but stay safe.:)

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Folks
Tried that cauli-rice again, with chicken curry, Seemed a bit pointless/and tasteless. For the future, if I want cauliflower I'll cook some. Similarly a small portion of basmati rice as the only carb of the day, with 1,000mg of Metformin, will probably be alright.
But, it was worth a try. Maybe the food scientists can give us more options.

lindisfel

Expert
Why can't drivers of today drive on icy roads?

For the last ten years or so drivers, invariably locals have tried to demolish one or mre parapets of the sandstone bridge through our hamlet. This last time it was a road maintenance vehicle tried to get into the field.
D.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks
Tried that cauli-rice again, with chicken curry, Seemed a bit pointless/and tasteless. For the future, if I want cauliflower I'll cook some. Similarly a small portion of basmati rice as the only carb of the day, with 1,000mg of Metformin, will probably be alright.
Couple of thoughts.
I make my own cauliflower rice as the stuff sold in supermarkets in sealed bags is pants.
Grate cauliflower - microwave for a couple of minutes and then, once cooled, squeeze out as much water as you can (jelly bag or tea towel) - then it’s good to go and just needs a couple of minutes in a microwave or stirring into sauce.
Or - just cut cauliflower into flourets and cook - pour curry on top.
Alternative - cook rice, cool, put in fridge until next day and then re-heat to reduce carb loading - re-heat well and only once.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning everyone from a silent and hopeful start to the day here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of spiced chicken in tomato sauce with some braised masala greens came in at 5.1 this am

Our park was closed yesterday. We were already in, having a walk, assessing the flood damage, avoiding paths under water and bits of lake spills when we were approached by mr orange clad council bloke and told that the park had to be closed - the water birds where not impressed - neither were the squirrels who had taken to their upstairs bedrooms. Oh well, will have to see this morning if they have managed to do enough to re-open otherwise its down to the beech with a bucket and spade. The roads are open again though and abandoned vehicles all recovered. 4x4 on your car does not mean that you can drive into flood water you ninny.

Art today, like @Muddy Cyclist - a bit rushed - was playing with pushing a very dry brush - will have a go with a different brush today, but for now. Hope everyone has a fabulous Friday - remember the bar opens early on a Friday but for now, koffy.

View attachment 46976
Thank you. Rushed art either fails or amazes, I feel your rushed art certainly didn't fail, drybrush work I said very effective.

Thanks for shanty.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

For the last ten years or so drivers, invariably locals have tried to demolish one or mre parapets of the sandstone bridge through our hamlet. This last time it was a road maintenance vehicle tried to get into the field.
D.
I took my driving test in a 1 ton Humber - driving by day and by night and with and without a trailer. Gear changing was a challenge.
Sad isn’t it that we seem to be losing loads of basic skills. It all started slipping when calculus was taken out of the GCE maths syllabus.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

D.
They need tougher winters to get in some practice like we used to get back in our younger driving days. Last lot of snow some Mom delivering kids to a child minder, left her 4x4 Range Rover straddling the road at the top of our hilll, nothing could pass, she refused to move it because she was so scared, I offered to move it for her but even with the assurance I had driven 4x4s in much worse condition she would not let me near it. I eventually had to drive my VW camper van onto the pavement over a grassy knoll to get out of our street to get to my hospital appointment. It was still blocking the road on my return. A bit of momentum but not too much, correct gears and a clear run, no problem.

@dunelm is right about modern 4x4s not liking more than a few inches of water, however my 4x4 could paddle I have had water halfway up my front windscreen.

IMG_2648.JPG

A lot of additional engineering to achieve it though, this vehicle did 700,000 miles and was sold as a runner to a Russian who took it back to Russia, might still be running.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Couple of thoughts.
I make my own cauliflower rice as the stuff sold in supermarkets in sealed bags is pants.
Grate cauliflower - microwave for a couple of minutes and then, once cooled, squeeze out as much water as you can (jelly bag or tea towel) - then it’s good to go and just needs a couple of minutes in a microwave or stirring into sauce.
Or - just cut cauliflower into flourets and cook - pour curry on top.
Alternative - cook rice, cool, put in fridge until next day and then re-heat to reduce carb loading - re-heat well and only once.
Good range of options there. Food tatses are very N=1. In the first flush of enthusiasm for LC I made cauli rice and ate curry. These days I don't really eat curry - have saved some meat from Christmas to try - so no need for rice of any type. I tend to roast florets with other veg - prefer whole head of broccoli. Also use it as cauli cheese. I don't mind eating either cold. When I did eat cauli rice we smashed it in a food processor. I would now eat very LC bread instead.

Last edited:

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Folks
I use 1/2 cup of brown basmati rice (and have still to tame the baby pressure cooker I was bought for Christmas and perfect the technique) but for me anyway it is a small enough portion to work (I cook half a cup and put half in the fridge for the next day so basically 2x 1/4 cup portions)

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fgb improvement though don't know why but happier with it ...7.1 ..woke to beautiful thick frost winter scene didn't last it's now raining ..again !

Reactions: karen8967

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use 1/2 cup of brown basmati rice (and have still to tame the baby pressure cooker I was bought for Christmas and perfect the technique) but for me anyway it is a small enough portion to work (I cook half a cup and put half in the fridge for the next day so basically 2x 1/4 cup portions)
I can get away with that quantity and see no noticeable effect, well at least not 2 hours after eating.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can get away with that quantity and see no noticeable effect, well at least not 2 hours after eating.
It will surprise no one that I am experimenting with using a bed of salad with "casserole" and curry when I/we have one. Curry is often very painful for Julie unless very mild and cauli in any form has been flagged as something for her to avoid. Casseroile on salad leaves works well IMHO but we now have an 2 all singing and dancing salad keepers. Makes sense for me as I eat salad most days and bags make the leaves sweat.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It will surprise no one that I am experimenting with using a bed of salad with "casserole" and curry when I/we have one. Curry is often very painful for Julie unless very mild and cauli in any form has been flagged as something for her to avoid. Casseroile on salad leaves works well IMHO but we now have an all singing and dancing salad keeper. Makes sense for me as I eat salad most days and bags make the leaves sweat.
Wow that's posh, sounds a good idea and cuts down on waste.

Reactions: jjraak

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 for me today - I may/may not venture out for a walk depending on how icy it is out there today - looks nice with the sun shining - hmm to walk or not to walk - decision time - I need to get a few things from the supermarket but I would need to clear/defrost the car first ... and I could probably just carry what I need so probably just walk before it gets dark and sun disappears

Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What an absolute cluster-duck (wrong word due to standard usage restrictions) - A huge picture of the word incompetence sprang to mind - I think a letter to the practice manager may be in order.

I have written the letter thanks @dunelm.
And, an online friend will go through it for me tomorrow. And then I will post it to the practice manager.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It will surprise no one that I am experimenting with using a bed of salad with "casserole" and curry when I/we have one. Curry is often very painful for Julie unless very mild and cauli in any form has been flagged as something for her to avoid. Casseroile on salad leaves works well IMHO but we now have an all singing and dancing salad keeper. Makes sense for me as I eat salad most days and bags make the leaves sweat.

Posh in the extreme but looks like a great idea if it keeps salad fresh and for longer. Using a bed of salad with "casserole" and curry - why not.
Just bottled my latest batch of sloe gin that I began in October. Kimchi manufacturing also today - should be ready in about 10 days.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Muddy Cyclist
Great painting even though you are not so keen on it. I like it.

@dunelm
A great dry brush painting. And also the green-blue colours in your earlier painting. And the joining of paint splashes on your backing roll.

I am falling behind on commenting on paintings. Not sure where I am or who I've missed...
I enjoy seeing all of them and @geefull 's too.