Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Had a very "interesting" chat with the diabetic lead at the GP.

On my left hand I have what was once thought to be a trigger pinky and overnight the other week, my third finger went into the same position and is stuck. On the scheduled zoom call, I mentioned it, showed her my hand, stuck fingers and she said, " There's a proven link between Diabetes and Dupuytren’s contracture which this looks like." She then went on to say my pinky was likely a warning and why didn't I get it checked... Last advice from her was this a secondary discussion as I had just been confirmed as a T2....

Question: anyone else here have a similar hand issue thought to be a consequence of diabetes?

Thanks as always and good morning from a beautiful sunny day in south west England!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP told me I had that about 6 ? years ago. He said it might go away on its own. It did after a few months.

Reactions: BRSBRI

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My father had the contracture, and my brother too, but I was lucky, as I am a musician and I have no problems with my hands. Of course the music making might be why....

Reactions: BRSBRI

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i am type 1 for 48 years and Dupuytren’s contracture started in my left middle finger within 6 months of diagnosis --- i have had operations to correct on left index , middle and ring finger ... and operations on middle and ring on my right ...please do get it seen to ..

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Purely by coincidence, yesterday I found the leaflet my doctor gave me. I have fished it out again. The link on it is...
patient.info/health/dupuytrens-contracture-leaflet

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
My father had the contracture, and my brother too, but I was lucky, as I am a musician and I have no problems with my hands. Of course the music making might be why....
Music quells most and many things :)

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
i am type 1 for 48 years and Dupuytren’s contracture started in my left middle finger within 6 months of diagnosis --- i have had operations to correct on left index , middle and ring finger ... and operations on middle and ring on my right ...please do get it seen to ..
Thanks - I most certainly do need to see about it - might have to go private...

Reactions: himtoo

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes - some glycation damage to my tendons which makes it hard to straighten a finger on my left hand. Steroid treatment helped and its not perfect now e.g. I can't make a fist with that hand.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told I had Dupuytrens a few years ago, long before being diagnosed with T2. I understood it to be hereditary, my dad had it quite badly but I also used to use tools in my job. I wasn't aware that it could be related to diabetes, seems you live and learn. I still have the thickened palms but it doesn't seem to have developed any further since I retired and put the screwdrivers away.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
I was told I had Dupuytrens a few years ago, long before being diagnosed with T2. I understood it to be hereditary, my dad had it quite badly but I also used to use tools in my job. I wasn't aware that it could be related to diabetes, seems you live and learn. I still have the thickened palms but it doesn't seem to have developed any further since I retired and put the screwdrivers away.
Good to hear! I don't know anyone in my family at all who's suffered from it...so you've taught me too that it might be in those genes...

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
Yes - some glycation damage to my tendons which makes it hard to straighten a finger on my left hand. Steroid treatment helped and its not perfect now e.g. I can't make a fist with that hand.
Appreciate the reply .... Hope all's well and thanks

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes is in the genes too, for some of us. I was only diagnosed after my sister getting it put me in high risk group. She has a lot to be blamed for (joking)

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
Diabetes is in the genes too, for some of us. I was only diagnosed after my sister getting it put me in high risk group. She has a lot to be blamed for (joking)
:) Grandma on mum's side diagnosed with diabetes aged 69 back in the late 70s. She smoked her lungs out, thought diabetic sweeties were her salvation and lived till she was 94...

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
@Ceppo thanks very much for that. Great information especially about the non surgical intervention study.