What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice one. I'm a new member and recently diagnosed Type 2 with 19.2mmol and since then been fighting it on low carbs without medication. My 3rd day below 9.0 (this morning 7.2) and looking forward to going below 6.8 my lowest so far.

Nice to meet you all.
Nice to meet you as well @Bigtt

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning all. 4.3 this morning. I will be breaking my fast today so real fun is in checking reading for tomorrow morning.

I am 84 hours into fasting at the moment and have also had a breakthrough with my visceral fat - It has come down to 9 so getting a real sense of achievement. :)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

4.5 today. Stayed up all night reading a crime novel (almost felt young and daring again) and then caught a couple of hours of sleep in the morning.

@Bigtt -- Welcome to the forum and to this thread. Nice to meet you. Lowering your fasting from 19.2 mmol to 7.2 mmol within just a short time period is tremendous progress. Well done.
@the-mental-one -- Great to see you posting on here. How long have you been low carbing? Tbh, it took me about half a year to see fasting levels in the normal range -- even when levels throuhout the day were already non-diabetic.
@nutribolt -- I am in awe of your determination (I have never even managed a full day of fasting myself). Really well done.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bad dreams, cold sweats and cramps....

@ziggy_w always interested in books, what was the page turner please? Thank you.

Reactions: ert

the-mental-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.8 this morning, weird dreams all night.

@ziggy_w I was doing better until August last year when I had been at home on my own for 4 months and the anniversary of mum's death hit. I sort of went off my meds and went off my diet so trying to go back onto it now...although I'm going to allow myself some small cheats whilst I finish off the items I have at home that are less diabetic friendly. Can't afford to just turf the lot and buy a new load of foods in but try and be careful with it, make sure I have things that can slow the digestion of the higher carb items when I eat them.

Reactions: Ryhia and philchap1

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@nutribolt -- I am in awe of your determination (I have never even managed a full day of fasting myself). Really well done.

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words @ziggy_w

Quite honestly I am just making up for the lost ground given I was a clueless diabetic for past 10 years just drifting along from one medication to another trying to control with exercise and diet as told by doctors and failing miserably - compared to that effort this fasting business is piece of cake. It took the fear of injections and threat of going on insulin given my last few HbA1c results that I started reading on this forum and came across the mention of book "The Diabetes Code" from Dr. Jason Fung and that changed things for better. The more I read and experience now, the more I feel perplexed as to why is NHS not asking patients to try this method first as it will help so many like me who don't do any research for 10 years.

Bigtt

Thank you Ziggy. Not easy but I took a radical move cutting out all carbs and went strictly on proteins and veggies plus long walks before and after meals. I wish us all lower BG

Hello all,

4.5 today. Stayed up all night reading a crime novel (almost felt young and daring again) and then caught a couple of hours of sleep in the morning.

@Bigtt -- Welcome to the forum and to this thread. Nice to meet you. Lowering your fasting from 19.2 mmol to 7.2 mmol within just a short time period is tremendous progress. Well done.
@the-mental-one -- Great to see you posting on here. How long have you been low carbing? Tbh, it took me about half a year to see fasting levels in the normal range -- even when levels throuhout the day were already non-diabetic.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
I actually didn't test when first got up I was too tired and stayed in bed till about 12pm then tested my BSL at 12.30pm my BSL was with no food since about 8pm yesterday and no diabetes medication taken today as yet

BSL 6.6

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 at 06:20 which is great reading for me considering we ordered garlic chilli chicken from Indian takeaway last night and as I can't have their breads, I experimented yesterday with some homemade flat bread / chapati made of soya flour and wheat flour made in a ratio of 90gms soya flour to 10gms of wheat flour

Based on labels of the soya flour it has 19gms fibre and 3gms carb per 100gms and assuming 2 teaspoons of wheat flour is all carbs say that adds another 10gms of carbs making total carbs to 12.7gms and fibre 17.1gms thus making the net carbs 0 so I thought I will take my chances.

It worked out quite well and did not cause a sugar spike after dinner or in FBG so I am inclined to mark the experiment a success.

Have a great weekend everyone. :)

Last edited:

the-mental-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning I'm at 6 again.

Yesterday before dinner I was at 5.2 and 2 hours after dinner, which included a small number of chips (dad was cooking), it was at 6.9

Given this is just a few days back into lower carbs and taking metformin again it doesn't seem too bad, not brilliant but not too bad.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
6.3 - I went to bed on a 6.3 and got the same 6.3 this morning. Now, this doesn’t tell me what was happening in between, if I was “stable” or coming-down or going-up or whatever? I do know I’m a Diabetic. So, what can I derive from these two Samples?