Hairy Bikers cook book

Doireallyneedanams

Hello!

I don’t have diabetes myself but since two of my siblings receiving a type 2 diagnosis last year I have been eating relatively low carb and have cut out all refined carbs with the occasional spoonful of my partners outrageously delicious carb-loaded meals.

I am SO bored of eating the same things and whilst googling recipes for the food shop I came across the Hairy Bikers diabetic cook book.

I am dubious because it keeps referencing low cal and not low carb. I’m not looking to lose weight (BMI 23), just looking for some tasty low carb recipes that don’t always involve aubergine (yuck!)

Does anyone have this cook book and can confirm the recipes are low carb, or any recommendations for any other decent ones?

OB87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like the fast 800 cook book. I don't follow the diet as I don't worry about calories but I do think they have good low carb recipes in with no low fat ingredients so they are filling.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd second that suggestion.
Diabetes type 2 is a disease of insulin resistance and the HBs shtick on their tv show has been that type 2 is caused by obesity and that the only way to reduce obesity is to reduce calories and hence lose weight.
This ignores the fact that most type 2s are not doughnut munching sald dodgers who never leave their sofas! Many have a little middle aged spread but eat their vegetables and exercise but also eat carbs ina quantity that their body cannot deal with. How do you know if you are at risk? If you have problems with belly fat, and have siblings with a diagnosis then that is a big watch out and if you were my sibling I'd avoid the classic low fat/high carb advice and opt for less carbs but more tasty meat, fish, eggs and cheese in whatever quantities you need to feel full. Its simple but not always easy of course so getting a few recipes under your belt will help and the Diet Doctor site has really good videos explaining the science of quality over quantity when it comes to metabolic health. Measure how you are doing to see if its working e.g. waist measurement with a piece of string (waist should be half your height as a rough guide) and see how you feel.

Doireallyneedanams

Thank you. I have heard of the fast 800 one though some doctors I follow have massively discredited it along with the author!

I'd second that suggestion.
Diabetes type 2 is a disease of insulin resistance and the HBs shtick on their tv show has been that type 2 is caused by obesity and that the only way to reduce obesity is to reduce calories and hence lose weight.
This ignores the fact that most type 2s are not doughnut munching sald dodgers who never leave their sofas! Many have a little middle aged spread but eat their vegetables and exercise but also eat carbs ina quantity that their body cannot deal with. How do you know if you are at risk? If you have problems with belly fat, and have siblings with a diagnosis then that is a big watch out and if you were my sibling I'd avoid the classic low fat/high carb advice and opt for less carbs but more tasty meat, fish, eggs and cheese in whatever quantities you need to feel full. Its simple but not always easy of course so getting a few recipes under your belt will help and the Diet Doctor site has really good videos explaining the science of quality over quantity when it comes to metabolic health. Measure how you are doing to see if its working e.g. waist measurement with a piece of string (waist should be half your height as a rough guide) and see how you feel.

Thanks! I’ve been eating low carb for almost a year now and have also been walking 4-5 miles daily. Like I say I’m a healthy weight, whereas both my siblings were overweight (one obese) , 20 years older than me and lived off chocolates, energy drinks and pasta.

Last edited:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you. I have heard of the fast 800 one though some doctors I follow have massively discredited it along with the author!

Thanks! I’ve been eating low carb for almost a year now and have also been walking 4-5 miles daily. Like I say I’m a healthy weight, whereas both my siblings were overweight (one obese) , 20 years older than me and lived off chocolates, energy drinks and pasta.
Well done for staving it off. I can read a cook book and translate it into low carb e.g. I quite like tom kerridge but mentally strip out any ingredient starting low fat and most sweeter stuff can cope with much less sugar etc. Then if I do have a carb thing I just enjoy it although its invariably less enjoyable than the idea of it is.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I looked at the Hairy Bikers book on Amazon when it first came out, and it seems to be pretty much Eatwell-based, high carb low fat, low cal. Disappointing, I thought, when said HBs should be independent agents and not required to toe the line with old-fashioned and increasingly discredited dietary dogma. I should say though, I didn’t get the book and peruse in detail!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe some Akins based recipes would be useful?
I gather than the Atkins Corporation doesn't really follow the guidelines these days, but maybe the on line versions of New Diet Revolution - which Dr A at least had a hand in might help.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any keto recipe would suit, the Internet is awash with them though be aware many now contain sweetners in some form or other.
A uk site i like, and they do cookbooks, is Keto Fitness Club (would do the link but it never seems to copy right)
I use some of the fast 800 or blood sugar diet recipes, I don't follow the full diet all the time. I think that's where some doctors are worried. Its too low for a sustained time, but the odd recipe or meal from fits well into a low carb lifestyle.
As usual common sense and moderation are the key words to remember

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you want a physical book try Tom Kerridge Dopamine Diet (not the eat well live longer) he lost a lot of weight by stopping drinking and going low carb or The Reverse Your Diabetes Cookbook by Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi which Dr David Unwin (a type 2 god imho)was involved with

Reactions: oldgreymare

Doireallyneedanams

Thanks all.

I do use keto recipes sometimes but I find they are obviously loaded with fats, which can be great sometimes but my diet generally is not that high in fat either.

I suppose if I could just tolerate mushrooms, aubergine or courgette.... I’d be able to broaden the horizon!

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was very disappointed I the Hairy Bikers Cook book. I’ve really enjoyed their Hairy Dieters books and have made several reasonably low carb meals from them. Book 3 is especially good although you may have to make the odd substitute. Saying that, I ve never had a large increase in blood sugar readings after eating their lamb tagine. I like the Caldesi books and also Annie Bell’s Low Carb Revolution which nobody ever seems to mention. It has some great recipes.