What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg this morning...I think was 6.7. I cannot remember.

My digital painting. I was still in a mood last night over this stupid non-appointment.
It was my mood last night. But I don't like it today. It is jarring.
Here it is. Lightning is not soothing...

08628CA7-3574-4DD1-A896-431FE2ED7D1A.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Posh in the extreme but looks like a great idea if it keeps salad fresh and for longer. Using a bed of salad with "casserole" and curry - why not.
Just bottled my latest batch of sloe gin that I began in October. Kimchi manufacturing also today - should be ready in about 10 days.
What do you use instead of sugar for sloe gin or don't you bother? We felt the salad keeper would be lonely so we bought a companion for cucumbers, celery and spring onions. Since I eat so much salad and don't intend to change any time soon I hope they pay for themselves long term. I like the idea of kimchi but have become very narrow in my range of food recently.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They need tougher winters to get in some practice like we used to get back in our younger driving days. Last lot of snow some Mom delivering kids to a child minder, left her 4x4 Range Rover straddling the road at the top of our hilll, nothing could pass, she refused to move it because she was so scared, I offered to move it for her but even with the assurance I had driven 4x4s in much worse condition she would not let me near it. I eventually had to drive my VW camper van onto the pavement over a grassy knoll to get out of our street to get to my hospital appointment. It was still blocking the road on my return. A bit of momentum but not too much, correct gears and a clear run, no problem.

@dunelm is right about modern 4x4s not liking more than a few inches of water, however my 4x4 could paddle I have had water halfway up my front windscreen.

View attachment 46982
A lot of additional engineering to achieve it though, this vehicle did 700,000 miles and was sold as a runner to a Russian who took it back to Russia, might still be running.
A friend of mine who lives in Finland has just posted a video on his facebook place of him dashing about on their snow covered roads - wish we could use studded tyres and not salt the roads. It’s the same in Germany and everyone seems a lot happier with it.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

My digital painting. I was still in a mood last night over this stupid non-appointment.

View attachment 46984
Well your frustration and anger came out in that one - good stuff though and it does you good to empty your feelings into your art.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you use instead of sugar for sloe gin or don't you bother? We felt the salad keeper would be lonely so we bough a companion for cucumbers, celery and spring onions. Since I eat so much salad and don't intend to change any time soon I hope they pay for themselves long term. like the idea of kimchi but have become very narrow in my range of food recently.
I forgo the sugar bit - a drop of stevia, a twist or two of orange or lemon peel will do and then a few choice spices like cinnamon sticks and cardamom - and a load of sloes of course

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Been absent for a while. Not eating too badly and FBG mostly in the fives. But started to wonder how it is doing in the day.
So today and yesterday tried taking BG before lunch, it was higher than expected.
6.1 yesterday.
6.9 today.
Had normal breakfast: LC nut granola, splash of milk. CWC x2 and mid morning coffee with cream as well.
Today set Alexa to remind me after lunch
One slice fresh bread toasted with pâté and lettuce, chunk of cheddar, coffee and cream
1 hour test BG 8.7
2 hour test BG 6.6
Am still wondering why it's up in the sixes .

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 46984
I agree it isn't soothing but I do like it. It is so dynamic and full of energy.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been absent for a while. Not eating too badly and FBG mostly in the fives. But started to wonder how it is doing in the day.
So today and yesterday tried taking BG before lunch, it was higher than expected.
6.1 yesterday.
6.9 today.
Had normal breakfast: LC nut granola, splash of milk. CWC x2 and mid morning coffee with cream as well.
Today set Alexa to remind me after lunch
One slice fresh bread toasted with pâté and lettuce, chunk of cheddar, coffee and cream
1 hour test BG 8.7
2 hour test BG 6.6
Am still wondering why it's up in the sixes .
Good to see you.

I have started doing my BG again before and after meals, thought I had enough experience to know what foods did by now BUT was amazed what some foods were doing, just goes to show can't take your eye completely off the ball

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher a moody dramatic piece of art. Artreflecting your mood is a winner in my book.

Thanks for liking my last heathland picture, it's on my discarded pile but after a few weeks I go through them and sometimes a fresh eye gets them out of the pile.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Folks
Tried that cauli-rice again, with chicken curry, Seemed a bit pointless/and tasteless. For the future, if I want cauliflower I'll cook some. Similarly a small portion of basmati rice as the only carb of the day, with 1,000mg of Metformin, will probably be alright.
But, it was worth a try. Maybe the food scientists can give us more options.

Yeah, kind of agree.

I used the bagged version..works IF smothered in curry.
Bulks it out and ads some texture, but not to my mind a proper rice replacement.

Might try @dunelm version.
Or the cauli cooked and roasted...Mmhh

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope the putting and Sunday's chat prove to be just the things to help you through a tough month/time which is why I gave optimistic not hug. Your issues predate January but there seems to be an undercurrent of Pilot on here - (lyrics.) Massive respect for you and your fighting spirit.
Blast from the past

Most appropriate :headphone:

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

4.8 yesterday and 4.6 today

I will catch up on all yesterday's posts later ;)

Mum's jab went off ok. Very well organised, in through the back door of the clinic and then out through the main door. She had the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine.

When we left mum's after lunch it was snowing the biggest snowflakes I've seen in along time, like pocket handkerchiefs, beautiful and impressive (if I'm inside that is ;) :hilarious:).
Mr gee drove us home, I'm not bad at driving on dodgy roads but I don't like heavy blowing snow, years ago I got stuck in a snowdrift in a howling blizzard and that stays with you. The snow soon stopped and went off today though and we managed a village walk in a gap in the weather, cold but beautiful.

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

@ianpspurs - I'm a fan of roasted salmon with herb and lemon butter and a big side salad myself but mr gee isn't keen, he got too much poached salmon as a child visiting his Scottish granny :sorry:

@dunelm - interesting dry brush technique, it's produced a pleasing composition.

@gennepher - hugs for the appointment frustration and good for you for sending a letter about it. Although you don't find your picture restful today it's striking and has a brooding quality, I like it, the colours through the centre are beautiful.

@Muddy Cyclist - that icy edged mere has worked very well and as ever your handling of the foreground foliage is very effective. I'll go back and look at yesterday's later :) I often find my own 'art' looks different to me on reflection.

art bit -
Mist gathering across the water of the firth.

upload_2021-1-22_19-44-59.jpeg

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took my driving test in a 1 ton Humber - driving by day and by night and with and without a trailer. Gear changing was a challenge.
Sad isn’t it that we seem to be losing loads of basic skills. It all started slipping when calculus was taken out of the GCE maths syllabus.
Like a fool I volunteered to tutor the neighbour's lad in GCSE Maths for a re-sit five years' ago. Then I read the spec. Aaagh!!! Not only was calculus tested in the higher paper, but the mysterious SURDS were also assessed. Fortunately the idle youth didn't accept the free offer, so my out-of-date skills (lack of) remained secret.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

4.8 yesterday and 4.6 today

I will catch up on all yesterday's posts later ;)

Mum's jab went off ok. Very well organised, in through the back door of the clinic and then out through the main door. She had the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine.

When we left mum's after lunch it was snowing the biggest snowflakes I've seen in along time, like pocket handkerchiefs, beautiful and impressive (if I'm inside that is ;) :hilarious:).
Mr gee drove us home, I'm not bad at driving on dodgy roads but I don't like heavy blowing snow, years ago I got stuck in a snowdrift in a howling blizzard and that stays with you. The snow soon stopped and went off today though and we managed a village walk in a gap in the weather, cold but beautiful.

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

@ianpspurs - I'm a fan of roasted salmon with herb and lemon butter and a big side salad myself but mr gee isn't keen, he got too much poached salmon as a child visiting his Scottish granny :sorry:

@dunelm - interesting dry brush technique, it's produced a pleasing composition.

@gennepher - hugs for the appointment frustration and good for you for sending a letter about it. Although you don't find your picture restful today it's striking and has a brooding quality, I like it, the colours through the centre are beautiful.

@Muddy Cyclist - that icy edged mere has worked very well and as ever your handling of the foreground foliage is very effective. I'll go back and look at yesterday's later :) I often find my own 'art' looks different to me on reflection.

art bit -
Mist gathering across the water of the firth.

View attachment 46987
Thank you.

Your mid ground tonight is magical, the way you paint hills and mountains is very impressive. Also that shaw line detail is so well painted. Like this painting very much.

Pleased that your moms jab was well organised.