Type 2 Free style libre

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got mine on prescription because I am on steroids. However I am told this is highly unusual. Asda is the cheapest if you self fund.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there are type 2s on insulin who are able to get it on prescription

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone can use it but only some people get it funded.

Justmenow

Is this only for type 1 please
I am type 2 and I got a script for the Libre 2. You can also go on their website and get a free reader and a month supply (2) of the sensors. I will say, the libre 2 didn't work well for me It was giving me readings much lower than they truly were.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Joepubli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a T2 and have been experimenting with this device for the last few weeks. It is amazingly good at showing me what impact various foods have on me - I am able to experiment and adapt. For example - a huge plate of mushrooms and tomatos does practically nothing - a piece of toast, even buttered, quivckly shows a vertical increase. It also proved that for me walking for 20 mins after meal brought it down quickly.

The readings are NOT the same as those from test meter -they say its about 15-20 mins behind that. But for me its the trends that are useful. If I forget to take medicine - it comes down much more slowly.

With independent apps - you can also monitor you % of Time in range and indicative Hb1AC.

Once I have finished experimenting with types of food and portion sizes that suit me, I can probably stop using it. It is kinda expensive on an ongoing basis. I wish NHS would consider giving to T2 when diagnosed - for say 3 months - so that people can see the impact and control. There is all kind of information on the net, some of it nonsense. For me - no differnce between potato and sweet potato. Or much revered resistant starch.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Justmenow

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My ex is T2 and she has it funded although it is rare her consultant had to put a case forward to the cqc (i think) to get approval to prescribe

HomerSimpson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 2 and I got a script for the Libre 2. You can also go on their website and get a free reader and a month supply (2) of the sensors. I will say, the libre 2 didn't work well for me It was giving me readings much lower than they truly were.

You’re so lucky you get Libre 2 on prescription. Do you use the high and low alarms? How long have you had Libre 2?

So so jealous right now. I don’t even have the Miao Miao.

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi,
I'm type 1 and fortunate that I get libre on prescription. I have miao miao and use xdrip.
I updated software on my phone yesterday and alarms suddenly appeared on libre app.
I have only turned on the 'signal lost' alarm on libre, as I prefer the readings from xdrip (this is probably because you can calibrate the xdrip?).

Justmenow

I am a T2 and have been experimenting with this device for the last few weeks. It is amazingly good at showing me what impact various foods have on me - I am able to experiment and adapt. For example - a huge plate of mushrooms and tomatos does practically nothing - a piece of toast, even buttered, quivckly shows a vertical increase. It also proved that for me walking for 20 mins after meal brought it down quickly.

The readings are NOT the same as those from test meter -they say its about 15-20 mins behind that. But for me its the trends that are useful. If I forget to take medicine - it comes down much more slowly.

With independent apps - you can also monitor you % of Time in range and indicative Hb1AC.

Once I have finished experimenting with types of food and portion sizes that suit me, I can probably stop using it. It is kinda expensive on an ongoing basis. I wish NHS would consider giving to T2 when diagnosed - for say 3 months - so that people can see the impact and control. There is all kind of information on the net, some of it nonsense. For me - no differnce between potato and sweet potato. Or much revered resistant starch.
Hope this helps.

I complete
I completely agree with you. My readings were WAY off, but I was able to figure out which foods makes my sugars high and low also what happens when I walk after eating. The annoying part for me was that I would think I was doing so good, and really was not. I was getting readings 100 points different from my regular meter.

The FreeStyle vender actually gave me a second one to try for free (I MAY have complained a wee bit...). This meter registers about 20 points lower than my regular meter which is a great improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi,
I'm type 1 and fortunate that I get libre on prescription. I have miao miao and use xdrip.
I updated software on my phone yesterday and alarms suddenly appeared on libre app.
I have only turned on the 'signal lost' alarm on libre, as I prefer the readings from xdrip (this is probably because you can calibrate the xdrip?).
My mistake, all the alarms suddenly appeared on the libre app, but I am using libre #1. A bit misleading, when you can set alarms which obviously won't work!
Still completely happy with xdrip.

Hayley78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chewing (specifically the beings that I birthed)
Hi,
What is Miao Miao (I thought was an illegal drug) and a xdrip? and how do you get alarms on a Libre?

Hayley78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chewing (specifically the beings that I birthed)
You’re so lucky you get Libre 2 on prescription. Do you use the high and low alarms? How long have you had Libre 2?

So so jealous right now. I don’t even have the Miao Miao.
What is a Libre 2?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Got mine on prescription because I am on steroids. However I am told this is highly unusual. Asda is the cheapest if you self fund.

Can you just turn up & buy one? Or can you order them? I self-fund as well.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I just went into asda and bought one. I had to fill in a form.

Reactions: LucySW