Getting HBA1C Tested during Covid

SarahEN

I was diagnosed a little under 2 years with a HBA1C of 55. I managed to go into remission in 3 months by following the blood sugar diet and taking metformin - got my HBA1C down to 34. I was supposed to have a 6 monthly check last March, but it was cancelled due to Covid. Didn't think much of it at the time and honestly was quite happy to avoid a GP's surgery and potential plague. Like many people sat at home all the time I've eaten too much, drank too much hand moved about too little.

So a few weeks ago I decided to sort my head out - started testing my BG levels again and keeping to a low carb diet. Cut down alcohol to once a week.

My BG readings are for my liking too high. Fasting are often in the high 6's but more often in the mid 7's. the past few days they have not gone below 6. Prior to this when I tested my fast BG was in the low 6's and during the day it was mid 5,s high 4's.

Now I know they aren't extremely high numbers but I really want to get this sorted and stay healthy. So I contact my surgery to ask about getting my well over due HBA1C done and the response was no -your last one was fine, you're fine. We're busy with Covid.

So now its over 18 months since my last diabetic check, its over a year since my last eye check, and 18 months since my last HBA1C check.

Has anyone else been struggling to get these kind of routine appointments? I'm almost at the point of just paying to get my HBA1C checked so I put my mind at rest or tell the GP I need to go back on meds.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I was diagnosed a little under 2 years with a HBA1C of 55. I managed to go into remission in 3 months by following the blood sugar diet and taking metformin - got my HBA1C down to 34. I was supposed to have a 6 monthly check last March, but it was cancelled due to Covid. Didn't think much of it at the time and honestly was quite happy to avoid a GP's surgery and potential plague. Like many people sat at home all the time I've eaten too much, drank too much hand moved about too little.

So a few weeks ago I decided to sort my head out - started testing my BG levels again and keeping to a low carb diet. Cut down alcohol to once a week.

My BG readings are for my liking too high. Fasting are often in the high 6's but more often in the mid 7's. the past few days they have not gone below 6. Prior to this when I tested my fast BG was in the low 6's and during the day it was mid 5,s high 4's.

Now I know they aren't extremely high numbers but I really want to get this sorted and stay healthy. So I contact my surgery to ask about getting my well over due HBA1C done and the response was no -your last one was fine, you're fine. We're busy with Covid.

So now its over 18 months since my last diabetic check, its over a year since my last eye check, and 18 months since my last HBA1C check.

Has anyone else been struggling to get these kind of routine appointments? I'm almost at the point of just paying to get my HBA1C checked so I put my mind at rest or tell the GP I need to go back on meds.

Yes, where I live the Endocrinology department at my local hospital has pretty much shut down. So I haven't had an eye (retinopathy) test since summer 2019. I got my eyes tested at Boots during the brief spell of freedom in the summer.

I did squeeze in a blood test in February 2020 just before the first lockdown but I'm not going to bother asking for another 1. I figure with the NHS backlog now reportedly stretching to 4.2 million cases, we are pretty much on our own whatever Johnson and Hancock tell us.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak and SarahEN

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it may be very dependent on the local area though, I know I've had no issues booking blood tests at my doctors - my HbA1c in November (and the rest of my normal yearly diabetic appointment), some extra tests 5 days later in November (thyroid - confirming the results that came in when they did the test with the HbA1c), repeat thyroid tests just before Christmas and some more repeat thyroid tests this morning (I think they're using me as a pin cushion!).

Reactions: SarahEN

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi @SarahEN ,
Well done for taking back control.
It is the same for me, not had checks. Though I think it varies, depending on where you live.I was offered the NHS eye screening in November, almost two years after the last one, but I chose to postpone, as I have been shielding, covid levels were high, and as I cannot drive after the test would need to use public transport as the centre is too far to walk to and from. I was told to phone my GP surgery last September for overdue appointment for diabetic screening. When I did I was told they were suspending blood tests for all but emergency reasons. So that is also overdue.
Although it is a worry, for me it is a motivating factor. I am carefully monitoring what I eat, and checking BG levels more frequently. Exercising more. I am recording these in the Mysugr app, which gives an estimate of HbA1c. Not always accurate, I am sure, but gives a picture of what is going on until I can get my appointments. As I have never had a problem, with the eye screenings showing no retinopathy or any cause for alarm, I am not worrying about it. Also, if necessary, I could have a similar screening carried out by my independent optician. The last one I had there was a year ago, and was fine.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had 2 HbA1c's (June and Dec 2020) and the annual eye test (although that was in fact 18 months after the last one).

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably a post code thing and how much noise you make, always a tricky one as make too much and you're down as a trouble...
Phoned and arranged my HbA1c in September, said I was concerned that my numbers were unusually high, came back okay.
Phoned and arranged a PSA earlier this month and all was okay.

Give them a reason why you think you need one, rather than it's been sometime and I am due, may help.
Good luck.

SarahEN

Thanks all.

In the end I phoned up again this afternoon & asked if I could get a blood test done somewhere else. They looked at my records , said it was well over due & my local heath centre could do it! So that's good.

The 1st request I did was through that Econsult tool which last year told me to dial 999 when I tried to use it to request Heartburn meds so I guess its no surprise that computer said no the 1st time.

Hopefully I've not done too much damage with my choices over the past few months.

Reactions: urbanracer

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
I've found like many things in life it's down to the approach and personal relationship building it with the other side. For example, the chief receptionist at the GP is always criticised for being offhand and rude - I've had the opposite experience every time (maybe the flowers helped when she went out her way for me ). But seriously, Covid is most certainly taking its toll everywhere, so I'm grateful for anything I can get.

I've had no issues here at all - and I'm glad SarahEN you're moving ahead

Last edited:

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it may be very dependent on the local area though, I know I've had no issues booking blood tests at my doctors - my HbA1c in November (and the rest of my normal yearly diabetic appointment), some extra tests 5 days later in November (thyroid - confirming the results that came in when they did the test with the HbA1c), repeat thyroid tests just before Christmas and some more repeat thyroid tests this morning (I think they're using me as a pin cushion!).
Definitely postcode as since covid I've had 3 hba1c tests, and a face to face consult to check something over plus annual eye retinopathy test

Am down for another hba-c in April, but we shall see as a recent ECG that I had to cancel due to self isolation I was told couldn't be rebooked so it might be that things are changing

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was due to have my 6 month check up last April but every time I ring up I’m told that all appointments have gone so it’s been 15 months since my last hbc. I will have another go in a couple of weeks when I ring up to arrange my OHs INR blood test but doubt I will succeed as there is only one DN at my surgery.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was due to have my 6 month check up last April but every time I ring up I’m told that all appointments have gone so it’s been 15 months since my last hbc. I will have another go in a couple of weeks when I ring up to arrange my OHs INR blood test but doubt I will succeed as there is only one DN at my surgery.
Does your surgery release appointments at a certain time? My surgery the best time to call is @ 0800 on a Monday, it's a pain to get through to be fair. But blood tests appreciate are different. But still...

It's also not acceptable in my opinion to not be able to get appointments even more so given the length of time and what it's testing so I'm sorry to hear your issues!

SarahEN

It might worth seeing if there is a local blood test service in your area. I found there were 3 centres I could go to, all I need is the form from the GP. It seems to be info they don't volunteer.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Does your surgery release appointments at a certain time? My surgery the best time to call is @ 0800 on a Monday, it's a pain to get through to be fair. But blood tests appreciate are different. But still...

It's also not acceptable in my opinion to not be able to get appointments even more so given the length of time and what it's testing so I'm sorry to hear your issues!
Doesn’t seem to matter what day or time they seem to be all gone when I ring for one. It normally takes about 25 mins for them to answer the phone anyway so I do sometimes give up and try again in a couple of days. They like to do the hba1c test about 2 weeks before the DN appointment so it’s difficult getting the 2 together

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It might worth seeing if there is a local blood test service in your area. I found there were 3 centres I could go to, all I need is the form from the GP. It seems to be info they don't volunteer.
Have to honest it’s something I’ve not thought of but I don’t think the blood test is the issue it’s the availability, or lack of, of the DN that’s the problem

SarahEN

Finally got my hba1c results back & thankfully I appear to have dodged a bullet despite my poor choices prior to & during Christmas. Cholesterol normal, hba1c was 42 so borderline normal. My gp asked not too subtly if my diet had changed much during lockdown as it had gone up from 34.

About as good as I could expect. Not too high, but up enough for me to know that I can't mess around eating sugar & carbs & drinking wine on the regular.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally got my hba1c results back & thankfully I appear to have dodged a bullet despite my poor choices prior to & during Christmas. Cholesterol normal, hba1c was 42 so borderline normal. My gp asked not too subtly if my diet had changed much during lockdown as it had gone up from 34.

About as good as I could expect. Not too high, but up enough for me to know that I can't mess around eating sugar & carbs & drinking wine on the regular.
Good to get your answer and that you can see you need to keep on top of it. As I have learnt, no matter the changes, reverse them and diabetes will rear its head again. Hence why I use the word remission not reversal.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Same around here - 3 private labs to choose from, referral letter, staff fully PPE'd up and all done. No real pushing needed with the surgery - offered willingly by the diabetic nurse so "we can keep an eye on things in a timely fashion"...

I anticipate going back to the same place in a couple of weeks.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Doctors etc. are still working - not as normal but what I have found is if you phone up and explain why you need the appointment you generally get it

SarahEN

Good to get your answer and that you can see you need to keep on top of it. As I have learnt, no matter the changes, reverse them and diabetes will rear its head again. Hence why I use the word remission not reversal.
Yes absolutely. It's both annoying to know that I can't routinely eat things I want & at the same time reassuring that I can actually manage it with lifestyle changes.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I missed my 6 month check last June due to Covid. Next one was due December. I received a letter from my GP in November asking me to make an appointment for my blood check, which I did very easily by ringing the receptionist. I had the test a few days later and the results appeared on my on-line records a day or two later. A couple of weeks afterwards I had another letter, this time on behalf of my diabetes nurse, telling me to book a blood test and take a urine sample, and then she would arrange a telephone appointment when the results came through. Left hand and right hand not communicating!

I have just had my NHS retinal eye screening, delayed from last May.