freestyle question

aard

Hi,

I have a question on freestyle libre. I didnt realise this gets inserted.

As someone who is very clumsy always catching sleeves and ripping them etc this is making me very wary of getting one of these as I feel like I would always be catching it and ripping it out.

Is this a valid concern?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Is this a valid concern?

Possibly, but probably not. I've ripped a few out (doesn't hurt you but it wastes the sensor). Most often it's when a bra strap gets caught on the sensor (probably not an issue for you unless you're cross dressing), but I did once lose one when it snagged against my car window when I was reaching out to insert a card into a car park entrance meter. So I wouldn't worry. (And if you are cross dressing, just be really careful when you take off or put on a bra, :))

Reactions: Ledzeptt

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some people lose their Libre when they catch it on a door jamb. This is not an issue I have ever had.
I make sure I position it on a flat part of my arm, slightly underneath and don't have a problem.
I think we all have different types of skin. Mine allows the sensor to stick like a limpet. Others find sensor can peel off. They reinforced the stickiness by putting a band or tegaderm patch over the sensor.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Like a few others I cover mine with waterproof, clear covering along the lines mentioned above. I also tend to wear base layers (cling tight to arms) year round which hold them in place. I do need to take care when taking off base layers but haven't had any issues.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using Hypafix or Tegaderm patches over my sensor for a few years now and haven't lost one since :)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I used to be ultra careful and use Kinesiology tape to protect the sensor.

However I don't seem to bang myself on door frames and the like, and the Libre seems to stick to me like a limpet.
I always have to pull really hard to get the old one off after it times out.
Even though the glue has apparently been reformulated and may be slightly less sticky.

So if you tend to bang yourself on doorways, use some king of extra fastening.
If you tend to catch your clothes when putting them on and off, then again take extra precautions.
Otherwise you should be fine.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
sounds like this may be a problem for, but i'll give it a go anyway!!!

Just to add, I once completely forgot I was wearing it as it was unobtrusive. I knocked mine off whilst showering and simply running a soapy hand up the back of opposite arm :banghead:

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Would weight lifting,be a worry with it.

will it be secure enough with the movements of lift weight?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would weight lifting,be a worry with it.

will it be secure enough with the movements of lift weight?

They’re fine with weightlifting. It’s a tiny piece of kit (about the size of a 10p coin) and sticks fast. Movement doesn’t seem to affect it at all. It’s more in danger if you knock it against something or if it’s submerged in water for a long time, but there are ways around those scenarios with simple coverings (tegaderm or rock tape).

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @aard

I’m the clumsiest person and having lost a couple of sensors arguing with door frames, I always use a Tegaderm (transparent wound dressing). 6cm x 7cm is the ideal size and approx 50p if buying in bulk.

dani96xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I have a question on freestyle libre. I didnt realise this gets inserted.

As someone who is very clumsy always catching sleeves and ripping them etc this is making me very wary of getting one of these as I feel like I would always be catching it and ripping it out.

Is this a valid concern?
I've had my libre for just over 12 months and have had no issues with it coming off. I also exercise and have no issues with it. Wouldnt even know it is there