Insulatard - new to this

emla_85

Hiya, I need someone’s advice please I have gestational diabetes (11+3) & have been put on metaformin, novorapid flexi touch & insulatard. Yesterday my levels were all up so knew how much to take as I was given direction. However my level tonight is 6.6bg should I still take insulatard? Don’t know what to do. Any help would be appreciated thanks!!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Insulatard is a long acting background insulin and is possibly the reason that your levels are normal today. Are you able to phone your clinic? What direction did they give? (We aren't allowed to advise on dosages but we may be able to explain your DN's instructions).

emla_85

I think they only operate during working hours.. so I’m not sure at 10:30pm they would be open. They told me to initially take 3 units of insulatard and adjust accordingly.. I’m meant to be speaking to them on Monday morning.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
So how much insulatard did you take yesterday? I would assume that once your levels have normalised you've reached the right dosage but probably better to go too little insulin than too much.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
But I would expect your insulatard dosage to be determined by your morning bg reading compared to your evening one, as it's meant to be keeping you level overnight....

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
You could phone 111 and explain you don't understand your team's instructions.

emla_85

Hi Ellie, it seems that I was correct and I don’t need to take it as my levels are correct in the morning. Thanks so much for your advice!