Type 2 electric shocks

terry73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I keep getting, what feels like an electric shock down my legs. It sometimes nearly knock me off my feet.
I have seen the doctor, who tells me that it is my nerve ends reacting to my diabetes. Is there a cure and is there anything that I can take to alleviate or control this
regards
Terry

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome

How are you currently controlling your T2?
Sounds like you might have some neuropathy.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums.

There's a good chance that if you can improve your blood sugar levels the neuropathy will improve (or at least not get worse.)

So four questions
1) what is your diabetic control like (ie blood sugar readings and/or latest hba1c)?
2) how long have you been T2?
3) what medication are you on?
And finally
4) What sort of diet are you eating? (If it has a lot of carbs then there is a lot of scope for improving your levels just by reducng the carbs in your diet.)

VioletFoxtrot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It might be diabetic neuropathy, but if it's pain shooting down one leg only, it could be sciatica - which is good news because it's fixable. Go to the doctor and tell them your symptoms. I have neuropathy in one foot only and they suspected sciatica, but it turned out to be nerve damage caused by lack of blood supply due to PAD. Whatever the cause, there are medications for the pain and daily B complex supplements can also help.