Type 2 Can’t stop eating sweet stuff

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please help I’m type 2 and I can’t stop eating sweet stuff I think it’s cause I’m board I’m disable so I can’t exercise
I respect and understand the challenges you are facing. Sweet stuff is incredibly addictive. As are I think many carbs. So, maybe there are options you could try to mitigate the desire for sweet. I find strawberries and Greek yoghurt help keep me off the bad stuff. I also try to keep it out of the house as no matter how much I think it'll be an occasional treat the more I will just have it when willpower weakens

It's awful I knoe but cold turkey and just fingting the urges is one way and for me, once I got a few days on, the cravings stop. Keep going one day at a time and days turn to weeks to monthz

Lockdown makes it harder. Good luck!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Would have been nice of the OP to put fingers to the keyboard

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
To clarify, I'm not suggesting either fat or carbs are the problem. It is the combination of the two, at certain levels, that can be dangerous.
No, neither are dangerous but carbs raise BS and weight and fats don't.
To clarify, I'm not suggesting either fat or carbs are the problem. It is the combination of the two, at certain levels, that can be dangerous.
No, neither are dangerous but carbs raise BS and weight and fats don't. You mentioned Calories in your post. Ignore Calories as they are irrelevant and merely a scientific measure of energy; they are not a food. Just focus on the three main food groups. The good thing about 85% dark Chocolate is that the carb content is low and the fat content is high. Carbs cause BS and weight gain whereas fats contribute little.

grum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Noise, Clutter, Shopping, Gardening.
Please help I’m type 2 and I can’t stop eating sweet stuff I think it’s cause I’m board I’m disable so I can’t exercise
Hi Cazzy
Haven't been on the site for a while ,your enjoyment of the 'sweet stuff' stood out to me though during my quick visit. I sympathise with you, having a sweet tooth myself.
Most of the advice you have been given, ie eat nuts, fruit, yogurt, is all a much better idea (unless allergic to any of them) even more so if you aren't a celery or carrot stick lover, water melon is an idea also.
It does all come down to willpower, it's so hard especially when some people have been restricted to the four walls they live in for over a year now much harder to not have their comfort food. I'm a carer in my home, the person I care for, like you is unable to exercise., weight increase due to meds, lack of exercise and some enjoyment of 'naughty' treats (their only pleasure).
I've eaten more naughty things due to being at home too, we all have blips, know it's not good for us.
If you can eat fruit/nuts, get some apples, melon, pears satsumas, almonds may be and when you feel like a sweet, chop up a fruit into bite size use small dish (so it looks a lot) I sometimes eat it using a cocktail stick, just to be different., also gives you time to be satisfied with your choice. It's time for me to shape up again, thanks to you for posting Cazzy. Give it a go!

Woner Woman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If I fancy something sweet I tend to head for a diet Pepsi, but I try really hard to not do that during the week. Honey roast peanuts are another weakness!
But what I do is keep a food diary which is very honest. Everything I eat goes in that diary and my sugar levels are recorded too. Seeing it written down makes you aware.
This is help out there for people with disabilities.

Reactions: MrsA2

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes wonder how it would be if rather than anything with carbs, a large roast chicken, or other heap of meat, a large salad or stir fry and a huge bowl of sugar free jelly with yoghurt, or cream or real custard was on the table - would there still be cravings after all that?