Diabetes Resolved - What Does This Mean?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You spiked at around the hour mark. From normal levels.
It was just over ten mmols.
It seems quite high for 23g carbs.
Have they tested you for insulin resistance?
I would definitely recommend you use your libre as a test for a few days. Enjoy the carbs and see what happens. Don't forget to write down everything.

Stay safe
Is something classed as spiking you if you go higher than 2 at the 2 hour mark? it's something I have always wondered about

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is something classed as spiking you if you go higher than 2 at the 2 hour mark? it's something I have always wondered about
No, it's the apex of the rise in blood sugar.
At two hours, you should have had your spike, and be going towards your pre meal reading. If it is under 2mmols from your pre meal reading that is fine, but if it's above 2mmols then something in that meal is too many carbs and should be avoided.

Of course with you being type two, the amount of good fats will lower the spike and the two hours reading.

Keep safe

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The only test I’ve had is the hba1c. That originally was 63mmol,. I was eating 150g a day of carbs then. I dropped my carbs to 50 per day and was getting HBA1C’s in mid 30’s. Now I’m eating 55-60g per day as a few of the foods I was eating are no longer available, and my hba1c is 40. I did have one of 42. I originally was diagnosed as diabetes type 2. But a week ago my doctor had put “diabetes resolved “ on my notes saying that 40 is in the non diabetic range. I didn’t agree, so I thought I’d try the sensor to see what it showed. I’m also concerned about the lows too

That is why I recommended keeping a food diary and testing.
I'm just concerned about the hypos and why you keep going low.
My Hba1c reading is 37, and my fasting levels are always in the normal range.
But even though some doctors say it is impossible for someone not on meds who has a non diabetic hba1c or fasting levels, should not go hypo, but I do if I eat carbs, basically!
There are other pancreatic conditions, that causes hypos, but that is the same tests to diagnose Hypoglycaemia.

Keep safe

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, it's the apex of the rise in blood sugar.
At two hours, you should have had your spike, and be going towards your pre meal reading. If it is under 2mmols from your pre meal reading that is fine, but if it's above 2mmols then something in that meal is too many carbs and should be avoided.

Of course with you being type two, the amount of good fats will lower the spike and the two hours reading.

Keep safe

Sometimes my spike is after 2 hours, sometimes 2 1/2 or 3 hours. Is that the fat slowing it down? The meal in the graph was high in protein, about 90 grams? 35 grams of fat? Also had a gin (50mls) zero carbs which is 40% alcohol. Would any of that make sense?

I’ve deliberately not had any gin tonight just in case that was responsible as I’ve heard alcohol can make blood sugars dive, although I wouldn’t have thought it would have done it that many hours later?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sometimes my spike is after 2 hours, sometimes 2 1/2 or 3 hours. Is that the fat slowing it down? The meal in the graph was high in protein, about 90 grams? 35 grams of fat? Also had a gin (50mls) zero carbs which is 40% alcohol. Would any of that make sense?

Again, yes it does make sense, this process of converting food into glucose with the hormonal response, mostly insulin to get energy, can and will be different for everyone. This how you understand what is happening and what is good for you. Also why tracking your meals is important.
I have heard of spiking up to four hours. That is why an eOGTT is over four hours because some people spike later than others.

But your sensor said you spiked at just over an hour?

Reactions: Eurobuff

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Again, yes it does make sense, this process of converting food into glucose with the hormonal response, mostly insulin to get energy, can and will be different for everyone. This how you understand what is happening and what is good for you. Also why tracking your meals is important.
I have heard of spiking up to four hours. That is why an eOGTT is over four hours because some people spike later than others.

But your sensor said you spiked at just over an hour?

Sorry, I was explaining 2 different things. The meal that I detailed was Fridays meal, which did spike at 7.05pm at 10.1mmol (which technically was 6.45-6.50 as there is a delay?). I started eating the meal at 6pm, which happened to be the carbs first, then the protein after that, I finished eating at 7pm.

Other meals I have had have spiked 2 1/2 or 3 hours later. When I first started testing I assumed that the highest point would be 1 hour, but I found out after testing more that it was not the case.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry, I was explaining 2 different things. The meal that I detailed was Fridays meal, which did spike at 7.05pm at 10.1mmol (which technically was 6.45-6.50 as there is a delay?). I started eating the meal at 6pm, which happened to be the carbs first, then the protein after that, I finished eating at 7pm.

Other meals I have had have spiked 2 1/2 or 3 hours later. When I first started testing I assumed that the highest point would be 1 hour, but I found out after testing more that it was not the case.

I had to keep my food diary from 2012, and through this time because of the reasons that I started when I was really ill, until I had lost a lot of weight and subsequent time to allow for my body to adjust to a new lifestyle, diet and being fit and healthy again.
I could see almost daily differences in which certain foods, depending on how much carbs and fats, would spike me....
I found that I am definitely carb intolerant. And I noticed how my body changed the hormonal response to my food and how I should proceed, I saw the difference in weight reduction and how my spikes were lower if I had the balance right.
Then being in ketosis and my levels never went out of normal levels. My health has improved dramatically. A food diary is a wonderful tool with your glucometer.

And the most significant thing I found was that I was potato intolerant. Something to do with starch. Any amount of spuds would spike me up to high teens.

And, I will say that I think you are trying to get to grips with your issues quickly.
This is your life now, you will have to help yourself through this, the saying, it's a marathon not a sprint, is quite apt.
Take things easy, worrying about how, when, why will become clear the longer you take the time to control your health issues. You do have to find the food that is making you spike. And you do need how to help yourself, what sort of dietary balance you need. And through diagnostic tests, find out why.

Stay safe

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to keep my food diary from 2012, and through this time because of the reasons that I started when I was really ill, until I had lost a lot of weight and subsequent time to allow for my body to adjust to a new lifestyle, diet and being fit and healthy again.
I could see almost daily differences in which certain foods, depending on how much carbs and fats, would spike me....
I found that I am definitely carb intolerant. And I noticed how my body changed the hormonal response to my food and how I should proceed, I saw the difference in weight reduction and how my spikes were lower if I had the balance right.
Then being in ketosis and my levels never went out of normal levels. My health has improved dramatically. A food diary is a wonderful tool with your glucometer.

And the most significant thing I found was that I was potato intolerant. Something to do with starch. Any amount of spuds would spike me up to high teens.

And, I will say that I think you are trying to get to grips with your issues quickly.
This is your life now, you will have to help yourself through this, the saying, it's a marathon not a sprint, is quite apt.
Take things easy, worrying about how, when, why will become clear the longer you take the time to control your health issues. You do have to find the food that is making you spike. And you do need how to help yourself, what sort of dietary balance you need. And through diagnostic tests, find out why.

Stay safe

I was diagnosed in 2014 and kept a food diary (app) from then. Lately (last year) foods have disappeared. When I started I would repeat the exact same meal at the same time of day but get different results with my readings. I got to a point where I got it as close to best results as I could. Sometimes a meal would go up by 2 and another time it would be 1 or 2 and a bit. I’ve still tried to keep the carb intake as low as I can. My last tests, my cholesterol has shot up (6.4) so I’m now thinking if it’s possible to reduce the fat but without increasing carbs. But before I actually got to twiddling with that. I thought I would try and figure out why my hba1c has crept up by only adding 10 grams max to the whole day (sometimes only 5grams), which was only a couple of grams per meal. I started testing and saw that my blood sugars were quite a bit higher than they were previously. Then I got the sensor which threw me a curve ball with the lows! So now I’m even more confused!!!

I’ve just looked back to some blood sugar readings from 2017 and the maximum post meal reading was 6.9 !

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And does it? And If it does is the 2. Something right? Or is it because you were laying on it?

When my libre reads in the 2s or 3s, I test with a finger prick and the prick always reads in the low 4s or the very high 3s, so from that I deduce that the libre is not that great when levels are in the low 4s and reads around 1mmol lower, I often wonder if it is designed that way on purpose so that people treat a 'hypo' thinking they are in the low 3s when they are actually still in the 4s, a 'safety' buffer if you like. I don't think (for me) that it's down to lying on it because it happens during the day too. I did have one libre that read in the 2s for 24 hours and then just kept saying Lo, so that was clearly faulty. Interestingly, or maybe a coincidence, my libre seems FAR more accurate when worn on my right arm as opposed to the left!

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When my libre reads in the 2s or 3s, I test with a finger prick and the prick always reads in the low 4s or the very high 3s, so from that I deduce that the libre is not that great when levels are in the low 4s and reads around 1mmol lower, I often wonder if it is designed that way on purpose so that people treat a 'hypo' thinking they are in the low 3s when they are actually still in the 4s, a 'safety' buffer if you like. I don't think (for me) that it's down to lying on it because it happens during the day too. I did have one libre that read in the 2s for 24 hours and then just kept saying Lo, so that was clearly faulty. Interestingly, or maybe a coincidence, my libre seems FAR more accurate when worn on my right arm as opposed to the left!

That’s interesting. I’m right handed but find that my Fitbit is more accurate on my right wrist

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was diagnosed in 2014 and kept a food diary (app) from then. Lately (last year) foods have disappeared. When I started I would repeat the exact same meal at the same time of day but get different results with my readings. I got to a point where I got it as close to best results as I could. Sometimes a meal would go up by 2 and another time it would be 1 or 2 and a bit. I’ve still tried to keep the carb intake as low as I can. My last tests, my cholesterol has shot up (6.4) so I’m now thinking if it’s possible to reduce the fat but without increasing carbs. But before I actually got to twiddling with that. I thought I would try and figure out why my hba1c has crept up by only adding 10 grams max to the whole day (sometimes only 5grams), which was only a couple of grams per meal. I started testing and saw that my blood sugars were quite a bit higher than they were previously. Then I got the sensor which threw me a curve ball with the lows! So now I’m even more confused!!!

I’ve just looked back to some blood sugar readings from 2017 and the maximum post meal reading was 6.9 !

Of course you get different readings, unfortunately every meal is different in protein, fats, carb. So the readings will differ slightly, so for example, anywhere around 2mmols is good anything below is great. However the difference between hypo under 3.5mmols, normal 3.5-6mmols, over six mmols is prediabetic and I would say anything over 8 mmols is T2.
If you look at your reading, the decimal point is quoted. I would not be bothered if I had a reading of 5.2 or 5.8, there isn't a big difference. It's only the whole number I look at.
So for me, before my first meal, my fasting could be 5.0 mmols, my pre meal could be 4.5, after two hours because I am zero carbs, I could be up to 5.5 after two hour., but every reading is in normal levels, which is my goal.
You have noticed a trend, that because of going a bit higher, you have wondered why.
Review your changes in how much carbs you are having.

Cholesterol, it all depends which of three results you got, for me, because at diagnosis my health was poor, I didn't really worry about my cholesterol because I knew it was high, however, reading through the threads about cholesterol levels and when my health improved and the weight came off, my cholesterol levels improved.

Keep safe