Confused

RikMRon

I was diagnosed just before Christmas, I've not seen a professional about it since I left hospital at the end of November, I tried to ring the number given to me at the local hospital and it was cut off.
I haven't even been really told what type it is, I think it's type two because off reading about my medication I adminstor, Lantus, NovoRapid and metphormin. A dietitian rang me and I learnt a little from the discussion, but was even more confused with the eat carbs don't eat carbs conversation that was going on.
I also take predislarone and myfortic for Sarcoidosis, I was told steroids don't help.
Just wanted to say Hi, I have learnt from reading through the forum already, thanks Rik.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
but was even more confused
I’m reading your tale of confusion and it’s left me with the same emotion.

Why were you in hospital?
Where is your local GP in amongst all this?
Who described you those drugs?
And who are you calling that this now “disconnected”?

If you can’t get anywhere forward call 111.

Please keep us informed.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed just before Christmas, I've not seen a professional about it since I left hospital at the end of November, I tried to ring the number given to me at the local hospital and it was cut off.
I haven't even been really told what type it is, I think it's type two because off reading about my medication I adminstor, Lantus, NovoRapid and metphormin. A dietitian rang me and I learnt a little from the discussion, but was even more confused with the eat carbs don't eat carbs conversation that was going on.
I also take predislarone and myfortic for Sarcoidosis, I was told steroids don't help.
Just wanted to say Hi, I have learnt from reading through the forum already, thanks Rik.

Hi Rik,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like V-early days for you since diagnosis.
There is plenty of advice diet wise that can help. However, due to the nature of your diabetes meds at the moment, stick with what little advice you have been given from your HCPs at this unprecedented time to get a "leading edge" before you start cutting sense into what may not be working?

It would be easier to talk about what you are doing now than map uncharted territory for you.

Best wishes.

Timb02

Hi Rik, I too have received little support from the heath service post diagnosis however I think I have done better than you as I have been given a dvd to watch! the carb/ no carb thing is confusing, I believe it depends on weight loss. Don't forget all carbs get turned to sugar in the gut so at the very least make sure your diet is balanced and portion controlled. I have found it quite difficult to meal plan without carbs as I believe we all have some form of carb as a staple in our cooking, however it just needs imagination at first and of course there is lots of support on line. Your GP should be able to at least give you the basics of diagnostic results over the phone so you can make better decisions as to your diet and life style going forward. good luck and health to you.
Tim

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi, a starting point would be contacting your G P and organising the tests to determine whether you are Type 1 or Type 2. Please don't go forward on an assumption!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and welcome
Not surprised you are confused. Your meds say type 1 to me but I think it is important to confirm this with your GP as some type 2s do also take insulin though normally we'd expect this to be needed after a while and not straight away. To make matters a little more confusing there's also type 1.5!
Lantus and novorpaid are long and short acting insulins that are injected. Metformin (glucophage) is a drug that reduces glucose made by your liver and type 1s also get prescribed this sometimes.
Steroids cause blood sugar issues.
If you're testing your blood sugars you will have a lot more information to go on and if taking insulin you should have been prescribed these.
If you can't get through to an NHS person give the Diabetes UK Careline a ring so at least you can talk things through with a real person.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/contact_us

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

it must feel very frustrating to be given a diagnosis without clear guidance on what to do.

I agree with the previous people that the first thing you need to find out is what type of diabetic you are. There is the type1 and type 2 that you may have heard of but there are other types that you could fit in and the approach that will help you depends on the type of diabetes you have.

The great news is that there are many types here and many with extensive experience so you will be able to get some advice once the diagnosis is clear.

while you are waiting though there are some things you can do. I presume that as you have been prescribed insulin that you have also been given a meter. Using that to test is something that you will need to do so you might as well start that. there are a range of meters and strips but having something where you can keep records his a good idea. the second thin g I suggest you could do while following what little guidance you have received is to start logging your foods and seeing what they do to your blood sugar levels combined with your medication. If you want to make changes in the future know where you started can be very useful.

Lastly- read around and ask questions. This site is awesome and I'm sure you will find help and support no matter what type you are.

Welcome!

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

RikMRon

I’m reading your tale of confusion and it’s left me with the same emotion.

Why were you in hospital?
Where is your local GP in amongst all this?
Who described you those drugs?
And who are you calling that this now “disconnected”?

If you can’t get anywhere forward call 111.

Please keep us informed.
I had covid, and it left me with diabetes, the doc says it may off been because of the large doses of steroids I was given to help with covid? Blackpool Victoria hospital, it's the diabetes clinic that I have tried ringing the contact I was given when leaving hospital.

RikMRon

I am at the doctor's today for a blood test they think I have long covid, will try and clarify with the nurse while I am there, with regards to type. I use a freestyle neo 4 times daily and keep the record. As they told me in the hospital most days it raises in afternoon but nothing like in the beginning, any advice on sore finger's, I use one a day and work across both hands?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had covid, and it left me with diabetes, the doc says it may off been because of the large doses of steroids I was given to help with covid? Blackpool Victoria hospital, it's the diabetes clinic that I have tried ringing the contact I was given when leaving hospital.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/steroid-induced-diabetes.html

Hopefully others can come in and discuss who have had similar causes of diabetes. So sorry that you are not getting enough advice, covid has done a number on diagnostics and support

hope you get some answers at the doctor. They never give enough time so maybe try and write down a list of questions so you don’t forget

Reactions: RikMRon

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
any advice on sore finger's, I use one a day and work across both hands?
Wash hands in hot water to encourage blood flow then adjust the depth of the finger pricker so that you get only just enough blood for the test.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Steroids are renowned for raising blood sugars, so it's possible that your condition may not be permanent if the steroids are only temporary. On the other hand, I'd expect them to give you a whole series of T2 medications if you had steroid induced T2, so it's not at all obvious what is going on. The hospital should have sent your GP a referral letter with some suggestion as your diabetes type so I suggest you contact your GP for advice. If you have online access to your medical records you may be able to see that referral.

As for the fingers, you should be using the sides and not the pads. (As a T1, I test up to ten times a day, though much less currently because I self fund a dexcom.)

Reactions: RikMRon