I think my husband might have covid 19...

petsnponies

So, my husband works at a secondary special school as a teaching assistant. He’s been working in a ‘bubble’ of 7 children, another teaching assistant, and a teacher. On Thursday, one of the kids was off with symptoms, their test came back positive for covid Thursday evening and they told the school right away. The next day, Friday, the teacher, and the other teaching assistant tested positive at school on the rapid tests that they do. Husband was negative but sent home to isolate anyway. No real symptoms over the weekend, but he went for a test on Monday anyway, it was negative. He’s felt fine all week, until today, when he’s suddenly come down with severe aches and pains, fatigue, and chills...

I’ve booked him another test for tomorrow. I’ve been with him and the kids at home all week, so it seems futile to isolate him away in a spare room now.

I’m scared :( and trying to mentally prepare myself for the inevitable... does anyone have any advice for dealing with covid if I do catch it? Or any words of wisdom that might help me feel brave...

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If he is unwell his blood sugar levels may be higher than normal, so its worth watching out for this. Hugs.

petsnponies

He’s not diabetic (I have type 1).

I am concerned for him, even though he’s fit and well he always seems to get more sick than I do when we catch things, but have to admit, my concern is for myself too. I’ve not had good experiences in hospital in the past (especially when it comes to anyone else being responsible for my blood sugar control) so I’m feeling very very nervous about what might happen.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @petsnponies, do you have plenty of diabetes supplies, including ketone test strips and blood test strips? And are you familiar with sick day rules?
I haven't had covid but what I have made sure of is having my supplies stocked up, getting an oximeter and thermometer, plenty of painkillers and easy to eat stuff available - people have said how exhausting it is having covid and getting tired after taking a few steps so I think preparing meals or snacks may not be viable, I've opted for things like cereal bars but I'm sure there's more nutritious options available. If you become unwell don't hesitate to phone your DSN or 111 if you need specific advice.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband is being tested for C-19 and is fairly certain it will come back positive, but even though I have had some of the symptoms, I seem to be OK - but I am only Type 2 and my usual response to a virus is for my tonsils to inflame. I am rather glad I did not get them removed as was threatened several times as a child.
We are certainly in interesting times, and I fear my B.Sc education has caused a certain fascination in the progress of the pandemic, and I am hoping for further analysis to be done to discover why some people are so badly affected and some are hardly ill at all. That is certainly the case, though, so a positive test is not definitely going to result in a serious illness. For many people it is not even as serious as flu.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, my husband works at a secondary special school as a teaching assistant. He’s been working in a ‘bubble’ of 7 children, another teaching assistant, and a teacher. On Thursday, one of the kids was off with symptoms, their test came back positive for covid Thursday evening and they told the school right away. The next day, Friday, the teacher, and the other teaching assistant tested positive at school on the rapid tests that they do. Husband was negative but sent home to isolate anyway. No real symptoms over the weekend, but he went for a test on Monday anyway, it was negative. He’s felt fine all week, until today, when he’s suddenly come down with severe aches and pains, fatigue, and chills...

I’ve booked him another test for tomorrow. I’ve been with him and the kids at home all week, so it seems futile to isolate him away in a spare room now.

I’m scared :( and trying to mentally prepare myself for the inevitable... does anyone have any advice for dealing with covid if I do catch it? Or any words of wisdom that might help me feel brave...
For many many people this passes by with minimal impact. For my partner he was ill for a good week and is now much improved, not diabetic but asthmatic and it hit him hard but he slept for most of it and also had pain killers prescribed by the doctors. no fever or cough, but high joint pain and headache.

so not to say it’s not potentilly serious but the newspapers go to catastrophe

he was also sent an oximeter and asked to check his oxygen levels. That’s something that was seen as important in his case.

10day isolation ends today and he is much much better, just lacking smell and taste still unfortunately

So... hopefully your husband will get past this quickly, but any signs of issue that’s what the doctors are for! If worried seek help

I never got it, well week ago was negative and no symptoms since so assume not

Last edited:

petsnponies

Thank you everyone for your replies I do appreciate it.

He spent the night with a raging fever and his heart pounding but it seems to have broken this morning. He looks dead rough but feels ok enough to shower etc. He’s going for his test today so we’ll see.

I’m all stocked up on food, painkillers, electrolytes, pulse ox etc - down to my last box of test strips so I should ask a friend to drop off my prescription today for me just in case I burn through them more quickly if I get sick.

I’m feeling ok I suppose, I’ve had a tight, slightly painful chest all week (no cough) and have no idea if it’s covid or just pure anxiety...

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

He spent the night with a raging fever and his heart pounding but it seems to have broken this morning. He looks dead rough but feels ok enough to shower etc. He’s going for his test today so we’ll see.

I’m all stocked up on food, painkillers, electrolytes, pulse ox etc - down to my last box of test strips so I should ask a friend to drop off my prescription today for me just in case I burn through them more quickly if I get sick.

I’m feeling ok I suppose, I’ve had a tight, slightly painful chest all week (no cough) and have no idea if it’s covid or just pure anxiety...
I thought I had it towards the beginning, got tired and thought had a taste in my mouth but was negative as I said so not sure if I had a bit of a cold or a bit of hypochondria but to be honest given it was in the house it’s not totally surprising!

not sure my work was best pleased as I did take some time off as didn’t feel right but again, was it my head?

so keeping distance from your husband, lots of hand washing and hand cleanser etc. Masks and stuff is really not a bad idea. Hopefully you can avoid it.

Best wishes and hope it goes okay!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @petsnponies

Anxiety is a frightening thing by itself, try to relax, run a bath and try some deep breathing or meditation. I remember feeling super anxious during the first lockdown and in a constant state of panic about catching it, I think it is the fear of the unknown. I have heard from many t1’s who have caught it but managed to maintain good bg levels throughout so despite it making them feel unwell they have been able to stay out of hospital. If possible try not to over think it and keep yourself busy, best wishes J.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I’m scared :( and trying to mentally prepare myself for the inevitable... does anyone have any advice for dealing with covid if I do catch it? Or any words of wisdom that might help me feel brave...[/QUO

Hi and I hope your husband is feeling better and that you are okay too?
You know your sick day rules for your diabetes so IF your husband has tested positive and IF you've caught it (neither of which is inevitable) then please feel confident that you can handle it with those rules about monitoring glucose, ketones and insulin levels. If he's a teaching assistant and you have kids he or they have probably bought you back flu or colds before and whilst this is scarier to you, you should be aware that the odds are massively in your favour even with diabetes.
e.g. risk is 0.1% (1 in 1000) with 3 x that if you are type 1 and 2 x that if you are type 2. More if you are older and less if you are younger.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fingers crossed your husband bounces back ok and quickly. I would still keep some distance personally despite being exposed thus far. And I’ve read a fair few reports that even bed sharers don’t always catch it. It seems some people transmit at high rates, others at lower ones. We never know who is who. Take care.

petsnponies

Thanks again everyone, The result just came through for him - it’s positive. :( He does seem a little better so hopefully he will bounce back now.

I still feel ok, apart from I need to go to the dentist (my appointment was Thursday which needs cancelling now ) So looks like I’m going to be nursing an aching tooth as well for at least the next ten days until I’m free to go out again.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again everyone, The result just came through for him - it’s positive. :( He does seem a little better so hopefully he will bounce back now.

I still feel ok, apart from I need to go to the dentist (my appointment was Thursday which needs cancelling now ) So looks like I’m going to be nursing an aching tooth as well for at least the next ten days until I’m free to go out again.
Aww - it never rains but it pours - hopefully yous will be ok - do take care of yourselves and let us know how yous are doing - at least you are able to chat online - virtual hugs x

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Your 10 day count starts at day 0 from the start of his symptoms not the test result coming back. He’s had it all this time. But obviously longer is safer.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should get an email stating the day your lockdown ends, which may not match the app should you have it
The email will say when your lockdown ends

Where were you told this please? When did this start? It certainly wasn’t the case before Christmas for my positive son.

It might be the case if contact and advise to isolate through the app or track and trace. But unless you’ve told the email source when your symptoms started as a positive case or when the symptoms of the close contact started how would they know? I wouldn’t rely on waiting for an email, especially not with track and trace history

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where were you told this please? When did this start? It certainly wasn’t the case before Christmas for my positive son.

It might be the case if contact and advise to isolate through the app or track and trace. But unless you’ve told the email source when your symptoms started as a positive case or when the symptoms of the close contact started how would they know? I wouldn’t rely on waiting for an email, especially not with track and trace history
I was going by the emails I received and the one my partner received. We were given a date we had to isolate until and told legally we couldn’t leave the house until that date so assumed this was the same for everyone so if I have given wrong information I apologise, it’s the experience I had so assumed (which I always tell myself not to) that it was the case for everyone

how they got the date, good question, assume from the date of the positive result

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I second reading up on sick day rules for yourself.
Don't be afraid to do extra testing - even if you think you feel ok.

Hope your hubbie feels better soon, you remain ok and your tooth does not give you too much jip.