Video games for diabetes?

Deb Arkle

Hi - I'm looking for a video game for my daughter (and son, probably!) I've found Didget, but that as far as I can see is just a glorified glucose meter. Is there something available where you can control a 'virtual' diabetic, making him eat & inject whatever you want and seeing what the results would be? My kids would love that, but all I've been able to find is a game for the SNES system (positively prehistoric! :shock: ).

We're in the UK if that makes a difference, and ideally would like something on PC, DS or Wii. Any ideas?

diax

Hi There,

Do not know the age of your children, but there are some specificaly designed games for diabetics. I am currently doing a research on them.

The most advanced and current is a game called "The Magi and the sleeping Star"
(Advertising link removed)

Others you might want to check out are:

- GRIP,
- HealthSeeker (facebook text-based kind of a game - looks more like a checklist),
- Starbright Life Adventure Series,
- Packy & Marlon,
- Escape from Diab,
- In Sue Lin’s World (target age group 5-10)

Google them out for more info.

Regards.

jacquiel

Is the Magi and the Sleeping star available to buy?
I just googled it and only seem to be able to come to articles about it and a demo page which shows a trailer for the game..

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I too would like to know if the game is available in the UK and where.

I had a look at the Demo and it does seem a good idea and especially for a Type 1 could well be an aid to learning for young diabetic's, especially the ones who seem to find it all a bit too much to cope with.......teenagers are a nightmare at the best of times so anything that might get them interested in what they should do has to be worth a look !

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I noticed whilst watching the demo that the blood glucose measurement is in mg/dl which may confuse people in the UK as we work in mmol/l. I wonder if the game allows the user to change this unit of measurement in the game setup?

meisonlyme

Having a look online at a well known gaming site for all types of platforms, the magi and the sleeping star has yet to be released and as yet does not have a release date.

Deb Arkle

Thanks for that - I'd previously read about the Magi & Sleeping Star, but saw that it wasn't available yet....it does look good though!

husbandad

Hi all,
Sorry to be the bearer and all that, but I e-mailed Adam Grantham,the C.E.O. of the company who developed "The Magi and the sleeping star" and he said that it only ever got to the prototype stage and they have "no plans" to take it any further.
I expressed my disappointment in a reply to him but haven't heard anything back yet. Will keep you informed.....

jacquiel

i know this is late - but just read in iddt newsletter that disney have partnered drug company eli lilly to collaborate to help families of children with type 1 diabetes receive education and practical advice in a fun friendly way - sounds like a possible video game??