High blood sugars in early pregnancy

gemmag

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am T1D and almost 6 weeks pregnant. My sugars are usually well controlled (last hba1c was 5.6% 2 weeks ago). However, today my sugars have barely dipped into single figures and I have no idea why. Woke with 4.4mmol had toast for breakfast as normal but since then my sugars have been crazy. I've increased my basal and given heaps of correctional bolus doses. I just don't know if this is 'normal' or if anyone has experienced this? It's really worrying me.

Deb_z123

Type of diabetes
MODY
Resistance in pregnancy, will increasingly get worse as pregnancy goes on. It’s a good sign that placenta is working well. You should be under the diabetes team so contact the nurses, you have to hit certain numbers after meals- less than 7.8 one hour after (if in the UK). I straight away doubled my bolus when i found out i was preg. Now 25 weeks and on 5x the amount. Have to catch hypos.

AKJ90

Hi, im also a T1diabetic 6 weeks pregnant. My hba1c hasnt been tested in a while however my free style libre shows it to be about 61....since i found out a weeks and half ago im pregnant my control has been very good.,,,many hypos. The few highs i get make me panic. 10...12....14 its happened very few times. Are these going to be detrimental to my pregnancy?

Reactions: christina2711

-Jules

Hello,

Just wanted to join the chat and say I'm in a similar situation. I'm 8 weeks pregnant, T1D and on an insulin pump, and have been working really hard to try to keep my blood sugars in range.

Have been struggling a lot with many hypos (testing like mad to catch them all), and the occasional highs that worry me a lot. Also really hoping that these are not going to be deterimental!