What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Onlinecaroline

Brunch - the usual 3 eggs mashed in a cup with copious amounts of butter today as I overboiled the eggs.

Dinner - beef fajitas with avocado, sour cream and cheese. I reckon about 12/13g of carbs for the peppers and onions.

Snack - cuppa and DGF millionaires shortbread. However I’m starting to think something in it isn’t agreeing with me. My stomach sounds like a brass band after it.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
l: h/m veg soup with some truffle cheddar grated in. Bit disappointed with the truffle cheddar.
Too much licking of spoons making Cranachen for Burns night. Made 2 versions, one with honey one without.
D: chicken and mushroom supreme served with Brussels sprouts with bacon. Cranachan and l/c shortbread.
2 whiskies and 1 piece cake

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been MIA again so will post last couple of days.
My breakfast remains slice HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch Sunday was split and toasted Lizza toastie spread with chicken liver parfait.
Evening was roast chicken with buttery celeriac mash and broccoli.
Orange gin and soda before.
yesterday lunch was a spoon of coleslaw, spoon of Waldorf salad and small chunk cheese and slice ham.
Evening was cheese & tomato omelette. Gin and soda, more “try January” than “dry”.
today lunch will be toastie and remainder of pate.
Supper will be mini meatballs with tom & chilli sauce, cauli rice, broccoli.
Currently having finger of shortbread with my coffee as a treat after good FBG.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Busy day out caring today so took opportunity to do a one meal day - did one last week as trying to mix things up a bit.
Kept going with flasks of Black coffee
Dinner spice rubbed pork ribs with salad and raita made with Greek yogurt mint and cucumber followed by sf lemon and lime jelly with spoon of extra thick cream. Just had decaff coffee with about 20g of 100% montezumas with orange oil.
Aiming for two meals tomorrow as early meeting on agenda but will be moving back to three small meals the day after think it’s good to aim for some fasts albeit short ones in my case!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipped breakfast.
L 3 scrambled eggs with 1 slice gouda. 1 small cranachan. Half a nut bar
D: lamb chops from the airfryer. Roasted cauliflower in the airfryer wasn't a success. Small carrot and 1 tablespoon lentils. The other half the nut bat crushed into a mix of ffgreek and cream.

Hadn't slept well. We'd run a zoom event for neighbours and think the adrenalin was still flowing

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with blueberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and DGF cake.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: kedgeree made with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - sandwich of 2 slices of corned beef with cheese in the middle. Mug of earl grey tea

Later dinner (after visiting mum) - salmon fillet with large side salad to include garlic tomatoes, stuffed soft cheese peppers etc. Gooey sweet of 2 teaspoons of peanut butter with 1 square lindtt 90% on top melted in microwave and then double cream drizzled over the top - delicious especially on a miserable dark January night. Note to self - much ditch cream but eh not in January anyhoo

Had a fresh cold walk earlier avoiding the ice.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry it didn’t work for you I’d never tried any lc bread mixes including this one not sure if anyone has? I’ve only made from scratch and using live yeast so that it’s proved well.trouble is with any lc baking the ingredients are so so expensive that it is beyond frustrating when goes wrong. I think @DJC3 had a bit of a disaster with a lc bread mix a while ago?
Think however @DJC3 now uses a diet doctor keto bread rolls recipe? May be this one
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread
@DJC3 is this the one you do?

Thanks for the tag @shelley262 yes I make this DD recipe, @ziggy_w also makes it but uses whole eggs rather than egg whites I think. It works well, the only issue I’ve ever had is with one particular brand of psyllium husk which went purple when cooked - so I had pretty pink/ purple rolls
The ready prepared mix I had a problem with was Skinny Bread - entirely my fault as I thought the little sachet of yeast in it was a desiccant to keep the dry ingredients from going off, and chucked it away. Surprise surprise the bread didn’t rise!
I use Dr Almond bread mixes sometimes too, there are quite a few varieties and all have been pretty good, but expensive.
My favourite and most often made recipe is this https://hemsleyandhemsley.com/recipe/flaxseed-buns/ the rolls are quite dense and nutty which I really like. The recipe calls for 1/2 tab maple syrup and to begin with I used a sugar free variety, but now I don’t put it in at all and I can’t taste the difference.

Onlinecaroline

Brunch: 3 eggs mashed in a cup with salted butter.

Snack: 4 mini satay sticks and a lump of cheese.

Dinner: gammon, Savoy cabbage cooked in butter, h/m cauliflower cheese and a mini corn on the cob. Think it might come in about 13/14g

Snack: 2 Green and Black dark mint squares and a cuppa.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. I’ve been awol for a bit, just getting bogged down with stuff but haven’t strayed from low carb.
No point in going back over the last few days food - can’t remember what it was anyway.
Today I had one of the DD keto rolls split ( see Prev post), half topped with Brie and the other half with egg mayo. A low carb custard and sf jelly to follow.
Dinner https://www.livingchirpy.com/smoked-haddock-with-creamy-tomato-pepper-sauce/ with broccoli.
2 glasses red to take my mind off trip up to London in the morning for 6 monthly scan on Thurs. hotel, car park and hospital have all confirmed Reservations/appointments.

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. I’ve been awol for a bit, just getting bogged down with stuff but haven’t strayed from low carb.
No point in going back over the last few days food - can’t remember what it was anyway.
Today I had one of the DD keto rolls split ( see Prev post), half topped with Brie and the other half with egg mayo. A low carb custard and sf jelly to follow.
Dinner https://www.livingchirpy.com/smoked-haddock-with-creamy-tomato-pepper-sauce/ with broccoli.
2 glasses red to take my mind off trip up to London in the morning for 6 monthly scan on Thurs. hotel, car park and hospital have all confirmed Reservations/appointments.
Thinking of you do take care and so hoping your scan will still show you to be in remission lots of virtual hugs and warm thoughts being sent to take with you.those 6 months seem to rush past.x

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thinking of you do take care and so hoping your scan will still show you to be in remission lots of virtual hugs and warm thoughts being sent to take with you.those 6 months seem to rush past.x

Thank you, and yes I have to agree they do come round very quickly.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tag @shelley262 yes I make this DD recipe, @ziggy_w also makes it but uses whole eggs rather than egg whites I think. It works well, the only issue I’ve ever had is with one particular brand of psyllium husk which went purple when cooked - so I had pretty pink/ purple rolls
The ready prepared mix I had a problem with was Skinny Bread - entirely my fault as I thought the little sachet of yeast in it was a desiccant to keep the dry ingredients from going off, and chucked it away. Surprise surprise the bread didn’t rise!
I use Dr Almond bread mixes sometimes too, there are quite a few varieties and all have been pretty good, but expensive.
My favourite and most often made recipe is this https://hemsleyandhemsley.com/recipe/flaxseed-buns/ the rolls are quite dense and nutty which I really like. The recipe calls for 1/2 tab maple syrup and to begin with I used a sugar free variety, but now I don’t put it in at all and I can’t taste the difference.

Thanks for tagging me, @DJC3.

@Mrs T 123 -- Hugs for the expensive baking mix, which didn't work out. Especially since you have been so much looking forward to having a slice of bread right out of the oven with garlic butter to go with your lasagne. In the beginning, it took me quite a lot of attempts to get the bread right (so quite a lot of the pricey ingredients went down the bin). After a while, I started to get a feel for when it was right and it became more of a routine.

As @DJC3 has mentioned, I base my bread on the dietdoctor keto bread recipe, however have found that no eggs whatsoever are needed to make it work. I also vary the low-carb flowers from while to while (currently using 2 quarter cups of lupin flour, 2 quarter cups of oat fiber, 1/2 quarter cup of almond flour, 1/2 quarter cup of potato fiber, 1 quarter cup and a bit of psyllium husk) plus various seeds and spices. Usually I need quite a bit more water (make sure the water is hot) than indicated in the recipe (probably due to the fact that some of the flours and seeds I use absorb more water than the almond flour used in the recipe). I also use baking powder with cream of tartar as a reliable rising agent.

@DJC3 -- Good luck for tomorrow. Can really empathize with your feeling anxious about this.

@PenguinMum -- Loved your expression "try January" (really funny) -- though I have to admit my miserable attempt doesn't even deserve this label, I've just plainly given up. I'm almost afraid, I will only have a real chance of prevailing when we finally return to real work, interacting with colleagues and students rather than being glued to the computer screen, having meetings without end on Zoom and advising students via telephone. I'm hoping for the second half of this year.

Luckily, though, low carbing (or keto) is so much of a routine now that even given these strange times, it isn't hard to stay on track.

Foods yesterday ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. About 50g of turkey salami.

Lunch: DD seed crackers with butter and brie. 100g of shrimps with half an avocado, one cherry tomato and two tablespoons of h/m mayonnaise.

Dinner: Nothing, but some dry red wine.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Behind again! Friday 22 January - bed 7.6 FBG 6.5. This was a very good home schooling day. He powered through a mound of work in the half day. Love to be able to relax but since son getting new fridge/freezer etc installed tomorrow had to take him to get enough in to at least have dinner/breakfast (big shop tomorrow). @shelley262- I've got a lot of posts to catch up on but I hope you escaped the flooding.
B. TAG and SLC toast with pate.
L. Nothing.
D. Bowl of Hubby's soup and a slice of SLC. Few raspberries and cream.

Saturday 24 January - bed 6.3 FBG 7. Got out sharp to get my own shopping as son would want me to take him later (installation started at 9am). Checked that brother's household were not requiring anything but having followed my tips they have a large delivery coming from Morrisons tomorrow.

B. TAG and a SLC sandwich with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Nothing - too much shopping!
D. 2 of these Mexican rissole thingies with another of the Iceland cauliflower/broccoli souffle things. 2 squares 85%.

Son's shop took a while as well!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that Mrs - the most disappointing thing was it looked lovely on the outside so at first I thought it was going to be ok and I had planned for having some warm fresh bread with garlic butter on top to have with my lasagne and probably wouldn't have bothered so much about the cost if I had been working but with not working just now I am watching my pennies ...
I've got the SLC mix too but I just haven't had time to try it yet. I did have a similar issue with Skinny Bread mix and the proving plus water was key to getting it right. I found that even although it looked too dry, more kneading solved the problem. I'll let you know how I do once I eventually get around to it.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

@Mrs T 123 -- Hugs for expensive baking mix, which didn't work out. Especially since you have been so much looking forward to having a slice of bread right of the oven with garlic butter to go with your lasagne. In the beginning, it took me quite a lot of attempts to get the bread right (so quite a lot of the pricey ingredients went down the bin). After a while, I started to get a feel for when it was right and it became more of a routine.

As @DJC3 has mentioned, I base my bread on the dietdoctor keto bread recipe, however have found that no eggs whatsoever are needed to make it work. I also vary the low-carb flowers from while to while (currently using 2 quarter cups of lupin flour, 2 quarter cups of oat fiber, 1/2 quarter cup of almond flour, 1/2 quarter cup of potato fiber, 1 quarter cup + psyllium husk) plus various seeds and spices. Usually I need quite a bit more water (make sure the water is hot) than indicated in the recipe (probably due to the fact that some of the flours and seeds I use absorb more water than the almond flour used in the recipe). I also use baking powder with cream of tartar as a reliable rising agent.

@DJC3 -- Good luck for tomorrow. Can really empathize with your feeling anxious about this.

@PenguinMum -- Loved your expression "try January" (really funny) -- though I have to admit my miserable attempt doesn't even deserve this label, I've just plainly given up. I'm almost afraid, I will only have a real chance of prevailing when we finally return to real work, interacting with colleagues and students rather than being glued to the computer screen, having meetings without end on Zoom and advising students via telephone. I'm hoping for the second half of this year.

Luckily tough, low carbing (or keto) is so much of a routine now that even given these strange times, it isn't hard to stay on track.

Foods yesterday ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. About 50g of turkey salami.

Lunch: DD seed crackers with butter and brie. 100g of shrimps with half an avocado, one cherry tomato and two tablespoons of h/m mayonnaise.

Many thanks for that - I did add a bit more water to it but I felt it needed it as there was still loads of dry mix in the bowl - I may be shouldn't have ...

Reactions: maglil55

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

@Mrs T 123 -- Hugs for expensive baking mix, which didn't work out. Especially since you have been so much looking forward to having a slice of bread right of the oven with garlic butter to go with your lasagne. In the beginning, it took me quite a lot of attempts to get the bread right (so quite a lot of the pricey ingredients went down the bin). After a while, I started to get a feel for when it was right and it became more of a routine.

As @DJC3 has mentioned, I base my bread on the dietdoctor keto bread recipe, however have found that no eggs whatsoever are needed to make it work. I also vary the low-carb flowers from while to while (currently using 2 quarter cups of lupin flour, 2 quarter cups of oat fiber, 1/2 quarter cup of almond flour, 1/2 quarter cup of potato fiber, 1 quarter cup + psyllium husk) plus various seeds and spices. Usually I need quite a bit more water (make sure the water is hot) than indicated in the recipe (probably due to the fact that some of the flours and seeds I use absorb more water than the almond flour used in the recipe). I also use baking powder with cream of tartar as a reliable rising agent.

Luckily tough, low carbing (or keto) is so much of a routine now that even given these strange times, it isn't hard to stay on track.

Foods yesterday ...

Dry red wine for dinner - Winner!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got the SLC mix too but I just haven't had time to try it yet. I did have a similar issue with Skinny Bread mix and the proving plus water was key to getting it right. I found that even although it looked too dry, more kneading solved the problem. I'll let you know how I do once I eventually get around to it.
That could be what I did wrong

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@PenguinMum -- Loved your expression "try January" (really funny) -- though I have to admit my miserable attempt doesn't even deserve this label, I've just plainly given up.

Thank you for the good luck wishes.
I really laughed at the other bit about the wine though.
I’m sure things will improve when you get back into class and away from the dreaded zoom. You still have great BG control.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the good luck wishes.
I really laughed at the other bit about the wine though.
I’m sure things will improve when you get back into class and away from the dreaded zoom. You still have great BG control.
Virtual hugs and good luck for tomorrow. Take care Mrs x

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3