PR SUCCESSES - GETTING THE WORD OUT THAT LCHF IS THE BEST DIET TO HELP TREAT TYPE 2 DIABETES

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Debandez, hello everyone,

What a great thread. Imo, this is really important work, all of you are doing.

The other day, I saw a post on Twitter inviting people to send their story to the American Diabetes Association and I thought why not just give it try. So guess what, it was now actually published on their website.

Here the link: https://www.diabetes.org/blog/sharing-my-story-sigrid

This makes great reading @ziggy_w. The power of nutrition. Great that you got your story out there as it will most definitely inspire many others. Well done. You look fabulous.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My goodness, time really does fly! I can't add 'when you're having fun' as pandemics are no laughing matter for anyone. I hope everyone is doing OK in these extremely challenging times.

If anyone is interested in sharing their low carb journey Dan Greef who, with his wife Basma, run Deliciously Guilt Free is looking to hear all about it. Many DCUK members are aware of this amazing company, but for those who aren't here is a link:

https://deliciouslyguiltfree.com/

Their produce is truly amazing.

Dan also runs a group called UK Low Carb. I joined their Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2663344507076338/?ref=share

He has a wealth of knowledge to share and encourages members to chat, discuss and learn from each other. Much the same as this great forum.

He also invites people to join him on podcasts and has had very knowledgeable and inspirational people join him like Dr David Unwin, Dr Aseem Malhotra and Graham Phillips, the pharmasist who gave up drugs to name but 3.

He also encourages people to join him who have had success with the low carb way of eating, to share their stories.

I was more than happy to share mine. Over 3 years since starting on this way of eating and feeling happier and healthier than ever. My latest blood results speak volumes. It has improved every aspect of my health and for the first time in my adult life I'm actually maintaining my weight loss! This in itself for me is a miracle.

Here is the podcast for anyone interested.

Dan would love to hear from anyone else who would like to share their experiences on how low carb has benefited them.

@Goonergal has done a brilliant podcast with Dan also which I'm sure she has already shared on the forum.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...have-t2-diabetes/id1503692518?i=1000506246146

You can also find Dan on twitter:

@uklowcarbpod

If anyone has any questions that I can help with please feel to ask.

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My goodness, time really does fly! I can't add 'when you're having fun' as pandemics are no laughing matter for anyone. I hope everyone is doing OK in these extremely challenging times.

If anyone is interested in sharing their low carb journey Dan Greef who, with his wife Basma, run Deliciously Guilt Free is looking to hear all about it. Many DCUK members are aware of this amazing company, but for those who aren't here is a link:

https://deliciouslyguiltfree.com/

Their produce is truly amazing.

Dan also runs a group called UK Low Carb. I joined their Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2663344507076338/?ref=share

He has a wealth of knowledge to share and encourages members to chat, discuss and learn from each other. Much the same as this great forum.

He also invites people to join him on podcasts and has had very knowledgeable and inspirational people join him like Dr David Unwin, Dr Aseem Malhotra and Graham Phillips, the pharmasist who gave up drugs to name but 3.

He also encourages people to join him who have had success with the low carb way of eating, to share their stories.

I was more than happy to share mine. Over 3 years since starting on this way of eating and feeling happier and healthier than ever. My latest blood results speak volumes. It has improved every aspect of my health and for the first time in my adult life I'm actually maintaining my weight loss! This in itself for me is a miracle.

Here is the podcast for anyone interested.

Dan would love to hear from anyone else who would like to share their experiences on how low carb has benefited them.

@Goonergal has done a brilliant podcast with Dan also which I'm sure she has already shared on the forum.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...have-t2-diabetes/id1503692518?i=1000506246146

You can also find Dan on twitter:

@uklowcarbpod

If anyone has any questions that I can help with please feel to ask.
Great podcast! Well done on sharing your story
I have also offered to share mine, now I am coming up to my 10 years of low carb anniversary, but not heard anything back from Dan. He seems a busy man.....

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have also offered to share mine, now I am coming up to my 10 years of low carb anniversary, but not heard anything back from Dan. He seems a busy man.....

Thanks Caroline, when did you contact Dan? He is currently working 7 days a week to keep up with demand I think but I can nudge him ;-)

10 years on low carb podcast would be a best seller for sure! Not sustainable eh?!!!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez Just caught up with listening to your wonderful podcast interview. Very informative and motivating. I think a link to it should be given to every newbie to listen to.

Thanks for doing it. Many more to come i hope.

Reactions: Debandez

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez Can I ask what you say to friends/relatives who see your success but still say "oh I couldn't do that because I couldn't give up my bread" or "I couldn't do that because I will never ever eat cauliflower rice"

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez Just caught up with listening to your wonderful podcast interview. Very informative and motivating. I think a link to it should be given to every newbie to listen to.

Thanks for doing it. Many more to come i hope.
Thank you so much. I'm just happy if me sharing my journey helps someone else. I'm hoping to do a 40 minute video so there will be visuals too which I find are so helpful.

@Rachox @Goonergal might be able to decide if your suggestion could be put into practice. I'm not sure. I do know that a diabetic nurse i know is going to be sharing with her newly diagnosed so I'm absolutely delighted about that. Every little helps.

Thanks for your lovely feedback.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez Can I ask what you say to friends/relatives who see your success but still say "oh I couldn't do that because I couldn't give up my bread" or "I couldn't do that because I will never ever eat cauliflower rice"

I have lots of visuals which help emphasise how beneficial small changes can be. I find they are game changers. Seeing these makes people aware of sugar content. They want to make better choices to improve health and/or lose weight. I will link a few here for info. When I do my patient to patient support sessions at local GP surgeries I take a suitcase of visuals! Loaded up like a donkey but so worth it.

I am very active on social media, always sharing hints and tips to family and friends. Some take lots on board others choose what fits around their lifestyle. If people can't give up bread (and I myself don't want to) and don't want to bake their own low carb (much better) I suggest the following below, ultra processed, but for some needs must.

I have some low carb rolls in my fridge for a bacon butty but also a hi-lo loaf in freezer for emergencies ;-) I take out a slice every now and again, once a month if that. Bread is the thing I miss the most so I completely get it. For me I would have in the morning when blood sugar is 5 or under, just one slice. I avoid if higher and stick to eggs. I would have the toast with butter, cheese, bacon, something zero carb to lessen the impact.

Livlife 3.8g per slice (waitrose)
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/livlife-seriously-seeded-sliced-bread/869667-288713-288714

Hi-lo 5g per slice (sainsburys)
http://www.hi-lo-bread.co.uk/

Kingsmill crustless 7.3g per slice (tesco)
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/291369153

Lower carb 9.9g per slice (hovis)
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/297172076

I did a swaps sheet. This gives people ideas. A good substitute for rice is green veg if cauliflower rice isn't going to be on the menu. If people can't give up rice then just try and go for a smaller portion. The visuals drive home the sugar content to make them more aware.

I show my cgm graph too. This shows the impact just 2 slices of wholemeal toast with butter had on my blood sugars. I was experimenting with the DUK guidelines. 38g carbs for breakfast. My experiment was going to last 2 weeks. It stopped after 1 morning for obvious reasons.

The tupperwares signify my sugar intake prior to being diagnosed. Breakfast lunch dinner.I had no idea carbs turned to sugar.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210129-223405_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-223405_Gallery.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 290
  • Screenshot_20210129-223353_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-223353_Gallery.jpg
    897.9 KB · Views: 281
  • Screenshot_20210129-221407_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-221407_Facebook.jpg
    652.3 KB · Views: 272
  • Screenshot_20210129-221314_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-221314_Facebook.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 265
  • Screenshot_20210129-221212_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-221212_Facebook.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 266
  • Screenshot_20210129-221216_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-221216_Facebook.jpg
    972.3 KB · Views: 263
  • Screenshot_20210129-214341_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-214341_Gallery.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 272
  • Screenshot_20210129-224436_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-224436_Gallery.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 283
  • Screenshot_20210129-224944_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-224944_Gallery.jpg
    616.3 KB · Views: 278

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just remembered about this post and the update is that I did get on Dan's podcast last year if anyone is interested in listening to my story - going and staying low carb for 11 years (and counting!) now :) Low Carb UK podcast #65