Is there a high GI food that doesn't spike you ?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've noticed recently that bread barely moves my meter at all.
Standard sandwich, 2 slices, 30g of carbs.
I've even been naughty and had a large deli baguette, 80g of carbs and only saw 1mmol/L rise at one hour.

Has anyone else found that one of the foods on the banned list don't spike them ?

OB87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pasta doesn't spike me much but I always have it with cheese on top! I have tested it at various times after and recently saw 5.8 at 2 hours and then lower by 3 hours then normal fasting. I have a small portion compared to what I used to have though. Bread used to spike me, I haven't had it since I was first diagnosed as I find the low carb alternatives nice enough. My insulin resistance seems to have improved but not too fussed about trying bread again yet.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No!
Tried everything, never a flat line!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been teetotal since Christmas 2005, and I never liked wine of any sort, not even champagne!
Exercise, I would like to say I do exercise but only walking now, I can run, but if I did, I would get a liver dump which would trigger the insulin response.
I have learned that lesson in the past. I done too much and I had a huge headache and other symptoms because of it! Swimming would be ok, but I always walk in the morning, then after my first meal I wait fifteen minutes, then go for another walk for at least fifteen minutes.
Because of covid, I do all my chores in the morning, then plan around which meals I'm going to cook,, always meat involved. Never do carbs as much as possible.
I used to walk regularly over 20000 steps daily when I was working. Which really helped with my health and well-being.

Hope that helps

Keep safe.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No. Not only all the usual suspects cause me spikes but some usually considered 'safe' as well.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Pasta (if it’s cooked, cooked and reheated), jacket potatoes, some breads and I even experimented with dates over Christmas, which is something I hadn’t had since being diagnosed, and I was ok after I had 3 of them. However I do seem to be lucky in that I am able to tolerate more carbs than many on the forum.

Reactions: OB87

DarrenW29

BANNED
Gluten free pasta doesn’t spike me that high without insulin metformin only 9.6 2 hours post meal

only begun using some insulin and it keeps me in the 4.8-5 range

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I boil the kettle twice & rinse the pasta before eating.
Do you ever notice the gloopy starch in the bottom of the pot
I boil it then put it in a colander and run it under the cold tap for about 10 mins so don’t notice anything. I always peel my potatoes about 2 hours in advance and keep them in cold water and there’s quite a bit of starch left in the bottom of the pan when I change the water prior to cooking.

Donought

Nothing :-( Same as Lamont D - actually I've been really naughty recently as I went hypo after a G&T so I've used that to lower my blood sugar if I've eaten something that's spiked me. Anything that even sniffs of a carb spikes me - last night ate a teeny tiny portion of rice - 10.1 at 2.5 hrs post meal and high this morning. Walking raises my blood sugar when done before food but lowers it after food. Why is this all so complicated!?!?