Devastating news and need help.

Amy1978

Hi All.

I'M 42 Asian woman with 3 kids. This morning I've been told my Hbac1 was 58, fasting blood glucose was 7.2. Weight for 5 foot 6 was 81Kg.

She wanted me to start metamorfin but I asked to delay and retest in 3 months since Jan 4 2021, I've been walking briskly for 5 miles daily. Had lost some weight. Food wise. Breakfast is usually omelette with 2 slices of polish bread. Lunch is yogurt and dinner is protein with colourful veg

Ive done my crying. I need a plan now to reduce my hbac1 levels and lose 10 kg.

She said I should incorporate strength training.

Are there exercise plans, meal plans that I can follow.

Where.

Anyone in the same boat who has succeeded. What do I need to do.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Amy, I felt like you in September when I was diagnosed age 33. I was devastated. But this forum has given me a lot of hope that things can change. I was 83kg and now weigh 70kg. I have reduced my carbs to under 100g a day and have found it easier than I thought I would. I still have the odd treat but most of the time I am good and my blood sugars have reduced a lot.

Have a look around the site as lots of inspiring posts. Sounds like you are off to a great start already.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Amy1978

Hi Amy, I felt like you in September when I was diagnosed age 33. I was devastated. But this forum has given me a lot of hope that things can change. I was 83kg and now weigh 70kg. I have reduced my carbs to under 100g a day and have found it easier than I thought I would. I still have the odd treat but most of the time I am good and my blood sugars have reduced a lot.

Have a look around the site as lots of inspiring posts. Sounds like you are off to a great start already.

Thank you, that is what I needed to hear. If you have any websites with meal plans and exercise plans. Pls let me know,

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. That HBA1c isn't too bad. It's the same as mine but needs to be lower. Your weight is too high I think. I'm also 5' 6" (male) but only 62Kg. I'm not saying you should be the same as that but the difference is quite large. You may well have some insulin resistance. Reduce the carbs if you can but your meals look quite good. If you need to take Metformin don't worry as it's a very safe drug but can cause stomach issues for a week or so for some people.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
metformin is a fine stick to lean at but doesn't do the job alone , but it actually helps a bit ...

Amy1978

Hi thanks.

Yes, I think it's definitely my weight. I am looking to aim at 70 kg first. Another think I'm worried about. I am anaemic with ferritin 13. Was reading on the blog how that can displace results. But yes weight loss important.

Hi and welcome. That HBA1c isn't too bad. It's the same as mine but needs to be lower. Your weight is too high I think. I'm also 5' 6" (male) but only 62Kg. I'm not saying you should be the same as that but the difference is quite large. You may well have some insulin resistance. Reduce the carbs if you can but your meals look quite good. If you need to take Metformin don't worry as it's a very safe drug but can cause stomach issues for a week or so for some people.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Amy and welcome to the forum. With the diet doctor site previously recommended that will give you plenty of ideas for food and this will help on the most important side - food.
Glad you are walking as this will keep your heart strong and burn off glucose after meals so time the walking well.
I am a trainer and assuming you are a beginner with weights I'd suggest trying some bodyweight exercises using your big muscles e.g. legs, chest, back, shoulders and bum. or get some resistance bands.
You could simply go to You Tube and search for beginner body weight exercises and there will be plenty. Alternatively try a free trial of Les Mills or Peleton. They offer a massive library of online classes which you can filter according to equipment and ability level. As a beginner you will see results doing the right exercises twice a week. Having more muscle will boost your metabolism and in the long term having more muscle means you cna deal with glucose better though you will always need to be careful with carbohydrates/sugar.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While it's obviously come as a big shock Amy, your HcbA1c isn't actually all that bad - there are forum members who have joined with far higher figures and have managed to reduce them dramatically. I was diagnosed over 7 years ago with an HbA1c slightly higher than yours, and simply by cutting right down on carbohydrates, managed to reach pre-diabetic levels within a couple of months and keep there. I also lost 20k fairly quickly and have been medication free for over 3 years now - and I'm a fat lazy old woman.:D

Our own forum has a Low Carb Diet Program - https://www.lowcarbprogram.com - which you do actually have to pay to join but may help if you need guidance, there's also the Diet Doctor website and our own Jo's nutritional thingy post, both of which @Tophat1900 has already suggested, and you just have to ask here if you need more help and support.

Reactions: Freema

Amy1978

Hi Amy and welcome to the forum. With the diet doctor site previously recommended that will give you plenty of ideas for food and this will help on the most important side - food.
Glad you are walking as this will keep your heart strong and burn off glucose after meals so time the walking well.
I am a trainer and assuming you are a beginner with weights I'd suggest trying some bodyweight exercises using your big muscles e.g. legs, chest, back, shoulders and bum. or get some resistance bands.
You could simply go to You Tube and search for beginner body weight exercises and there will be plenty. Alternatively try a free trial of Les Mills or Peleton. They offer a massive library of online classes which you can filter according to equipment and ability level. As a beginner you will see results doing the right exercises twice a week. Having more muscle will boost your metabolism and in the long term having more muscle means you cna deal with glucose better though you will always need to be careful with carbohydrates/sugar.

Thank you so much. This is so helpful. I was looking at the resistance bands as I read its good for the back as well. I am so glad I found this forum. Asking for advice from friends hasn't been too great.

Amy1978

Thank you so much for your words. It gives me concrete hope and that's what I need to start this. And thank you for suggesting the weblinks.

Today will be finishing my research and making meal plans and finding vids so I can implement this. The only thing I find unsure is about weighing stuff to know when it's 20g carbs

While it's obviously come as a big shock Amy, your HcbA1c isn't actually all that bad - there are forum members who have joined with far higher figures and have managed to reduce them dramatically. I was diagnosed over 7 years ago with an HbA1c slightly higher than yours, and simply by cutting right down on carbohydrates, managed to reach pre-diabetic levels within a couple of months and keep there. I also lost 20k fairly quickly and have been medication free for over 3 years now - and I'm a fat lazy old woman.:D

Our own forum has a Low Carb Diet Program - https://www.lowcarbprogram.com - which you do actually have to pay to join but may help if you need guidance, there's also the Diet Doctor website and our own Jo's nutritional thingy post, both of which @Tophat1900 has already suggested, and you just have to ask here if you need more help and support.

Lilylala

Hi and welcome
First of all let me give you a big hug and say you are not alone
This forum for me was the best thing about being diagnosed to of found for support , information , diet advice ,
My hba1 c on diagnosis was 116 and was put on metformin given diet advice which was a big shock .
This time last year I started one meal a day due to putting on 3 stone due to the wrong advice given on diabetic diet and was on 80 units of insulin
Today 3 1/2 stone lost and only on 4 units of insulin and Hab1c 46
Diet is mostly low carb high fat
Look up Jason fong the diet DR about insulin resistance and intermittent fasting to reduce insulin resistance
Your hba1c personally is not that high to bring down by just a low carb should do it alone and not needing medication
It's understanding how carbs turn to glucose , and which foods make it spike
So the bread mentioned you eat = carbs
The yoghurt = carbs
Root veg = carbs
So instead breakfast = bacon and eggs
Lunch = ham and cheese omelette
Tea = steak and salad followed by full fat cream and berries
you can do this and we are here to help

Amy1978

Thank you so so much. I will look up jason.

Hi and welcome
This forum for me was the best thing about being diagnosed to of found for support , information , diet advice ,
My hba1 c on diagnosis was 116 and was put on metformin given diet advice which was a big shock .
This time last year I started one meal a day due to putting on 3 stone due to the wrong advice given on diabetic diet and was on 80 units of insulin
Look up Jason fong the diet DR about insulin resistance and intermittent fasting to reduce insulin resistance
Your hba1c personally is not that high to bring down by just a low carb should do it alone and not needing medication
The yoghurt = carbs
Root veg = carbs
Hi and welcome
The yoghurt = carbs
Root veg = carbs
Hi and welcome
The yoghurt = carbs
Root veg = carbs

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hi All.

I'M 42 Asian woman with 3 kids. This morning I've been told my Hbac1 was 58, fasting blood glucose was 7.2. Weight for 5 foot 6 was 81Kg.

She wanted me to start metamorfin but I asked to delay and retest in 3 months since Jan 4 2021, I've been walking briskly for 5 miles daily. Had lost some weight. Food wise. Breakfast is usually omelette with 2 slices of polish bread. Lunch is yogurt and dinner is protein with colourful veg

She said I should incorporate strength training.

Are there exercise plans, meal plans that I can follow.

Where.

Oh the 90 day challenge! Exactly what I did, I went ultra low carb and started exercising. It’s a little rough getting started, but it gets better once you have a meal plan.

Amy1978

Did you let yourself have a small bit of cows milk in your 1 cup of tea?

I have tea once a day.

Did you use one of the low carb recipe for dessert once or twice a week?

Oh the 90 day challenge! Exactly what I did, I went ultra low carb and started exercising. It’s a little rough getting started, but it gets better once you have a meal plan.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
If want to lower your weight and get your blood sugar.

I would recommend a book by Dennis pollock 60 ways to lower your blood sugar.

I would keep the walking up. Steps are great for lower blood glucose.

When it come to strength training there is many way to come about it.

The is the push, pull, leg spilt.

But if you starting out, I would recommend this Girls work out 2-3 times a week. But start it with very light weight till you are comfortable with the exercise and increase, with what you feel you can do. But you want to be struggling to the end of each exercise.

Hannah Oberg all body dumbell work out.

Reactions: Freema and LaoDan

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Did you let yourself have a small bit of cows milk in your 1 cup of tea?

I have tea once a day.

Did you use one of the low carb recipe for dessert once or twice a week?
For coffee, I use double cream, or coconut cream, I didn’t have any dessert in the traditional sense, at least not during the first 90 days. I’d have the occasional spoon full of peanut butter, macadamia nuts etc to cure the munchies. Part of the goal is to kick the sweets addiction. I do celebrate birthdays etc with cake, but that’s it. I was on a mission to change my lifestyle

Reactions: Freema and MrsA2

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All.
Forget Hba1c and weightloss, at least for the moment.
Look at what you are eating and replace anything which is high in sugar or starch with something lower.
If the Polish bread is the high protein one that looks like a brown brick, that is good - though there are low carb breads you can make yourself, or cook 'chaffles' - cheese waffles.
You might like to get a meter to check your blood glucose after eating. I use a Tee 2 meter from Spirit Healthcare as it is cheap to use. If all goes to plan you should see some lower numbers and you'll not need to test quite so frequently.
It was not a problem when I was feeding the family for me to have low carb versions of the same meals we all had, I just added 'ordinary' foods to the other plates and had either a salad or some low carb veges on mine.

Amy1978

Hi all. Latest update. I've lost 4 kg in 6 weeks. Blood sugar level. Improved. Also noticed pulse rate improved. It used to be 85 bpm. Now around 75 bpm. Thank you for video about strength training. I will be starting that soon.

Reactions: HSSS and Dr Snoddy