Newly diagnosed type 2 and very confused.

fendertele

Hello everyone,

Just got told a few days ago I'm type 2 and my blood was at 52 and the normal is somewhere between 36-41 or something along those lines.
Since then my GP has game me leaflets describing what to eat. The obvious ones to lose weight reduce portion size, smaller plate etc...

But then the rest is confusing just based on other diets ive read online.

So the leaflet from GP with BDA fact sheet - Include some carbs (wholegrain, fruit veg, low fat milk, low fat yoghurt)
Reduce intake of Cheese, butter, processed meats and pastry.
swap meat for beans pulses lentils...
sugar can be eaten but dont overdo it.

However then i've read some other things - High fat is good for blunting the glucose spike when eaten with carbs.. so eat high fat
Gow low carb and they also ear meats.

Just hoping someone could give me an idea of what i should be aiming to do as im making a shopping list tonight and a bit confused by it all.

Thanks

Reactions: Bex72

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I ignored the BDA (who have an alliance with the vegan society) advice.
Ate lots of meat, fish, eggs and bacon. Some green veg and put T2 diabetes into remission in 3 months.
I know what I'd be doing..!

Little Fat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
running, balls
I have been low carb for 3 years (less than 100g) per meal and have 2 meals a day which is 16 hours fast and 8 hours eating window. A1c from 9 down to 5.4 now and lost 20+ kg. Now free from drugs. Depends on your pancreas health, many cases is not your insulin not enough is your body resistant to it. Lowering your carb intake will give a chance for your body gain back the insulin sensitivity so can better control. I have friends with 12 yrs of TDII also reversed and free from drug too. Talk to your doctor and try to research information on improving insulin resistance with diet. Diabetes is a dietary disease. Search for Dr. Jason Fung and Low Carb Down Under. Good Luck.

fendertele

I ignored the BDA (who have an alliance with the vegan society) advice.
Ate lots of meat, fish, eggs and bacon. Some green veg and put T2 diabetes into remission in 3 months.
I know what I'd be doing..!

Thats what I like to hear so advice going forward.

Red meat yes/no ?
Full fat or low fat ?
Whole grain breads ?

Overall Carb total a day ?

Again ive not had chance to speak with dietician yet only my GP who gave me 3 pieces of paper and sent me on my way... all im eating right now is Sausage,eggs and baked beans as i dont know what else to have lol

fendertele

I have been low carb for 3 years (less than 100g) per meal and have 2 meals a day which is 16 hours fast and 8 hours eating window. A1c from 9 down to 5.4 now and lost 20+ kg. Now free from drugs. Depends on your pancreas health, many cases is not your insulin not enough is your body resistant to it. Lowering your carb intake will give a chance for your body gain back the insulin sensitivity so can better control. I have friends with 12 yrs of TDII also reversed and free from drug too. Talk to your doctor and try to research information on improving insulin resistance with diet. Diabetes is a dietary disease. Search for Dr. Jason Fung and Low Carb Down Under. Good Luck.

Hi :)

Thanks yeah my GP basically handed me 3 pieces of paper with BDA and the above advice on them but it differs from what i've read on diabetes websites.

So was just basically trying to get a handle on what foods i can eat and what i cant and im all good for the 2 meals thing i like it and used to do it when i was on the anti inflammation diet a while back.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats what I like to hear so advice going forward.

Red meat yes/no ?
Full fat or low fat ?
Whole grain breads ?

Overall Carb total a day ?

Again ive not had chance to speak with dietician yet only my GP who gave me 3 pieces of paper and sent me on my way... all im eating right now is Sausage,eggs and baked beans as i dont know what else to have lol

Red meat yes
Full fat always
Breads never
I try for as low as possible on carbs.. 20g or under (I usually do sub 10 mainly from double cream in my coffees).
Any meat and fish green veg (if you like them) cheese eggs anything animal is usually very low carb (apart from milk hence I use cream instead).
Some sausages are ok .. go for the 97% meat ones.. eggs are fine but baked beans are pretty bad both for the carbs in the beans and the sugar in the sauce.

Reactions: fendertele

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The NHS diet advice you have been given is rubbish which we have all come across. Ignore it. You must reduce the carbs - that means all carbs not just sugar. Fats and proteins are fine. Where you do have carbs have the good ones which also contain fibre. Veg and fruit are fine but avoid tropical fruits. Don't worry about salt unless your BP is high. Meat is fine of course.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a meter to test my blood and have settled on a maximum of 40gm of carbs a day as that keeps my glucose in normal ranges. I chose foods with less than 10 percent carbs and eat twice a day, have coffee with cream and I'm fine.

manish0688

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Low carb definitely help but what i have seen it is also specific to an individual. You should do a blood test after a meal to know what suits you best.

fendertele

Sorry for slow replies using phone app and a bit fidgity lol.

Yeah I've not been told much other than those bits of paper so I wouldn't even know what to look for when testing my blood intact.

Looking on Amazon many to choose from also.

I take it once it's delivered it would explain what results I should be aiming to achieve?.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I have a Spirit TEE2 BG meter, both it and the SD Gluco Navii have cheap(er) test strips and have a good reputation.
Test strips is the main expense of testing your BG, since if you are going to a, Low Carb way of eating you will be initially testing before and then 2hrs (after 1st bite) for every meal until you know exactly which foods and what quantities are OK for you.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JoKalsbeek has an excellent beginner guide to low carbing, but I've never worked out how to add the link

davd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use a GlucoRX Q cheap to buy £5.99 and £10.99 for strips it seems to be fairly accurate. This is from Glucos own website it was dearer on Amazon.
I was diagnosed 9 months ago with an HbA1c of 90 which is a lot more than your 52 .
I ignored my diabetes nurse who recommended low fat and didn’t believe in carb counting, and I took advice from the members on this forum.
I started low carb about 30 to 40 a day but now I do moderately low carb about 70 to 80 carbs a day as I have found my body can cope with a few more than keto, but not everyone can do that.
Since been diagnosed my last two HbA1c tests have come back at 40 .
Breakfast is always bacon, eggs, or omelette keep changing every day and occasionally a small slice of whole meal toast, total about 10 carbs .
If I fancy nibbles I nibble a chunk of cheese or some nuts or pork scratchings ,none or very little carbs .
Something sweet ,make up a Hartleys sugar free jelly.
Alcohol I tend to stick to spirits with diet mixer.
I do cheat occasionally but if I can keep my HbA1c 40 or below I am happy.
Finger prick testing is averaging out at about 6 every day .
If you reduce your carbs getting down to below 40 should be possible .
I originally lost over 2 stone in weight as body not getting energy from glucose took it from my fat so that was a good benefit.
Good luck

Reactions: jjraak

Tannith

BANNED
Hello everyone,

Just got told a few days ago I'm type 2 and my blood was at 52 and the normal is somewhere between 36-41 or something along those lines.
Since then my GP has game me leaflets describing what to eat. The obvious ones to lose weight reduce portion size, smaller plate etc...

So the leaflet from GP with BDA fact sheet - Include some carbs (wholegrain, fruit veg, low fat milk, low fat yoghurt)

However then i've read some other things - High fat is good for blunting the glucose spike when eaten with carbs.. so eat high fat

Just hoping someone could give me an idea of what i should be aiming to do as im making a shopping list tonight and a bit confused by it all.

Thanks
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3609491/

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@Tannith ... for someone who is new to Type 2, the LAST thing I'd do is post a link like that. :banghead:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for slow replies using phone app and a bit fidgity lol.

Yeah I've not been told much other than those bits of paper so I wouldn't even know what to look for when testing my blood intact.

Looking on Amazon many to choose from also.

I take it once it's delivered it would explain what results I should be aiming to achieve?.

Here’s some information on meters. Basically you should test immediately before and 2 hours after you’ve eaten. In that way you’ll understand the impact that meal has on your blood sugars. You’re looking for a rise of no more than 2mmols. Any more and there were too many carbs for you to handle and the meal needs adjusting.

This article may also be helpful: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

The cost of the strips is important as they’ll be what you spend most on.

The Tee2+ from Spirit Healthcare which has cheap strips (not the cheapest strips but very reasonable): http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/ I got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order the meter and 10 boxes of strips and they threw the meter in for free. Phone number 0800 8815423

The meter with the cheapest strips is the SD Codefree. Strips need to be bought in bulk using the codes below and the manufacturer is in the process of switching people over to a new model (see below). http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/ and here for the extra strips http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/Discount codes for bulk orders:

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Also from Spirit Healthcare, with more expensive strips than the Tee2+ is their Caresens Dual. This can be used for testing ketones too (strips for that very expensive). https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently brought out a new meter, the Navii, which will eventually replace the Codefree. https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/. https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips.

Don’t forget to check the box if to say you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Hello everyone,

Thanks
Hello Fendertele,
I was diagnosed in August 2020, my hbA1c was in the 70s and my vision very blurry. I now have a blood glucose level in a non diabetic range and have achieved this with low carb eating.
I took Metformin for 6 days and it made me feel very sick. I then used the diet to put a stop to sugar spikes. I lost weight, increased my activity level (using the Couch to 5k app) and feel very well now. I am no longer plagued by migraines either.

It took probably a month to get my head around the diagnosis and change in diet. If you try low carb it helps to plan ahead with meals.

There is a world of information and friendly advice on this website.

For me low carb eating is not difficult as you don't get as hungry. When you eat carbs (e.g. White rice) you get sugar highs and lows. It's the subsequent sugar crash after a high that makes you hungry.

I purchased some low carb and keto cook books. I read Michael Mosley Blood sugar diet and also Tom Watson's Downsizing.

I wish you well.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I went from an A1c of 50 to A1c of 36 in four months on low-carb. It needed a meter (I have an inexpensive RXQ) and testing before and 2hrs after meals, plus after fasting, early morning etc. I went on the local diabetes course (called DICE in this area) and was amazed at the confused and conflicting advice given by the NHS. Dietitian was fine and pro-low-carb, but the (considerably older) diabetic nurse was still boosting the dreadful "eatwell" plate..."base your meals around starchy carbohydrates" ! You need to find what works for you, and what doesn't. Things will spike one person's blood glucose that don't affect another. It's only a progressive illness if you allow it to be.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Hi
Before you purchase a meter check with your GP as sometimes they will loan you one. Also they should prescribe lancets testing strips and sharps bin. The ease of getting these being prescribed will vary from GP and Health authority. When I moved last May I was told very firmly by practice nurse that they wouldn’t prescribe. So I told her that I would go to health authority and MP as my previous surgery in the same authority provided them. They are now on my repeat list. They are vital in you controlling your BG you need to know what it is before and after eating and what foods spike you. The NH.S want you to be in control and you can’t do that without knowing what your BG is during the day. You’ll also find out which GP and nurses have knowledge of LCHF those that do will be more helpful. When I was diag3 years ago my GP told me about LCHF and that it was best. I stick to about 60 - 80 g carb a day which keeps me in steady 35-45 hb1ac and allows me the occasional treat and my other half eats the same as me. So far I’ve lost 7 stones, it’s a bit up and down at the moment as we’ve had multiple bereavements in the last two months but I know that I will get back on track when I set my mind to it. good luck!